C4 Forums | Control4

MyMovies Abandons Control4 API Access for End users in next revision MM5.0

If you are a MyMovies end user (meaning you purchased your MyMovies subscription through their website and not preinstalled on hardware by an authorized partner) you cannot upgrade to the upcoming MyMovies 5.0 release as it wont work with Control4.  This is a short sighted move on the part of MyMovies and they need to hear your feedback here:  http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&m=179032?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That seems to be the case.  I posted a response on the forum as well.

Not great.  Just bought mymovies recently and probably wouldn't have if I knew that was coming down the pipe.  I am in no way interested in buying a Vidabox (the currently listed US based partner)

What isn't clear to me is if even the EV drivers would work...they aren't selling the hardware are they?

You all gave me so much flack in my "Control4 media management is useless and you know it" thread.

But I rest my case with this announcement from MM

Control4 needs to support it's customer base directly and stop relying on 3rd, 4th and 5th parties to provide decent media management. Because inevitably stuff like this happens and links get broken... and the end user customer base spends all this money and gets let down.

This then reflects badly on the original platform because *that* in the end is what the customer is using..

We get fed up with all this nonsense.

So Control4 should ITSELF spend some decent money on media management and fix it, and make this happen and stop pussy footing around with half baked 5th party "solutions"...

You are big NASDAQ boys now, so spend some money and take over MM, XBMC or whatever.. 

Take over EV... buy the whole development platform. All the software guys. Lock stock and barrel..

Do whatever it takes.

We just want things to work. All the time.

Don't you guys *get* that?

So Control4 should ITSELF spend some decent money on media mangement and make this happen and stop pussy footing around with half baked 5th party "solutions"...

The FAT LADY has sung on Control4's do nothing Media Management strategy...

Hi guys,

Being referred to this topic, it is important to me to give some detailed information about this, and clear up some confusement.

First of all, we are not going to let any end-users getting caught in the middle of this - existing users who have used the API prior to the My Movies 5 Pre Release will be able to still by contacting us. More details about this later in the topic.

The My Movies API was created originally in relation to the co-operation between My Movies and Extra Vegetables, with the professional market in mind. The change made in My Movies 5 have naturally been cleared with Extra Vegetables.

Extra Vegetables sells driver licenses only to professionals, which means that from the information we have, the drivers are not available to end-users here either. The change we are making in My Movies is more or less to follow the same path - the API will become available to professionals only to ensure that customers gets the correct help and support on the solution. There is no requirement of the registred My Movies professionals to supply hardware along with the solution - all Control4 dealers can join our professional program, and provide licenses to their end-customers just like they can provide licenses from Extra Vegetables - the dealer on the other hand also chooses his own margin if supplying only the licenses directly.

The main reason that we are making this change is that we have found a high number of professionals to ignore the fact that My Movies may not be distributed by professionals without them being part of our installer program. The installer program is created for various reasons, and it is hugely important for us that the software is not supplied professionally without the companies being part of this program. Despite the fact that the installer prompts about it, that our download page specifically lists this requirement, many of the Control4 professionals (and other professionals) have ignored this fact, and is supplying products with My Movies pre-installed to customers, without being part of the required professional program.

This leads to end-customers receiving products from companies that does not have the needed in-dept knowledge, nor the extended support options that are required to provide a high-quality and well supported solution to the end-user. Since end-users purchases devices without the proper support, and devices that are not based on the required knowledge, we see a professional market that starts thinking of My Movies as an unprofessional product, without the professional customer support needed, and worse yet, it makes it more difficult to our registered professional partners, who have done things the "right" way, to have difficulties selling their products in the market.

This is a situation that is caused by professionals who decides to ingore our professional program, and to protect our product brand, and the product brands of our customers (VidaBox is mentioned here, but Vidabox is just one of many). The only way we can improve this situation is to block professionals that ingores the installer program to not have access to the solution intended for professional usage.

The way we are going to handle this is:

For professionals

Professionals that have sold, or are selling systems based on the My Movies software solution should join the My Movies Installer Program. The purchase price of end-user licenses (the 2500 points licenses) made will be given as rebate on the sign-up fee - the sign-up fee is currently $250, which means that if a professional have purchased two end-user licenses at $100, they will pay effectively only $50 for the sign-up fee, and, they will be given credits on their installer account, allowing them to freely purchase the two My Movies 5 integrator licenses needed for the systems supplied.

This is an offer we are making temporary, to give all professionals an option to "do things right", no matter if they on purpose decided to violate the license terms originally, or if they simply did not know about the requirement. There have for a period been incorrect informations in the Extra Vegetables documentation, which could have lead to some of these situations - we can't see how the professionals could have bypassed the forced questions in the software installer, but that is not important moving forward.

For end-customers

The end-customers who are being caught in the middle of this, surely will be taken care of. The solution is not yet available for these customers, but will be before the final release of My Movies 5, and in good time for interested customers to join the Pre Release testing.

The solution will either be that we will be able to mark specific user accounts as having access to the API, or, we will transfer the customers to a professional license, under our own installer account. Ideally, we would have had a solution where all existing users with 2500 points or more would automatically have a marking on their user account, but we are unable to do this, as such marking would also include the professionals who have supplied solutions in violation with the license terms.

The process for end-customers will be that they contact us on support@mymovies.dk, where we will confirm the following:

- The system they are running on was not supplied by a professional with the My Movies software included. If supplied by a professional, the professional supplier should join our installer program. Customers with professional partners that refuses to do this, we will be sure to take care of anyways, and we will then have to consider how to handle the professional supplier separately.

- The point purchase made, or the contributions made to the solution that caused the user account to reach 2500 points was made before the My Movies 5 Pre Release was released, and the API deprecation for end-customers became known. This is to ensure that we do not have end-users who reacts not because they are existing users, but because they now became aware of the future limitaitons.

- The customer will be asked to supply information about in which relation they use the API existingly, to ensure that we do not have users contacting us, who are not actively using the API currently.

I hope that this clears things up, and if not, feel free to ask any questions, and I will be sure to explain further.

While this can be upsetting for the users affected, we hope for your support on this, as it is in the end a step taken to ensure that end-customers are supplied solutions only by companies who can provide professional support along with it.

We believe that My Movies 5 is a hugely interesting product for both our professional partners, and for the end-customers, with the fully automated and unattended copying of disc titles, including the video conversion option that can prepare videos for mobile devices, DNLA, Chromecast and similar, or - the functionality that will also allow fully unattended copying directly to lossless MKV files.

Best regards,

Brian Binnerup

My Movies

Brian. I have recently got the EV QNAP/XBMC solution working beautifully as demo'd at CEDIA Europe early this year. (I think it was CEDIA). Anyway, currently I have been playing these mkv files direct via XBMC. There is an EV MyMovies solution that works with this, but I am yet to use it. I think this runs on a PC. If I want to add MyMovies and use it like this, what do I do? Will the EV license I buy right now from my dealer (I assume he is a "professional"..but how do I know or check??) Anyway will my license still work after the change to MyMovies5?  Thanks.

This is good to hear. Just to clarify, for my little and half functioning brain, as a lowly end user that just bought the software on my own last year and use it with my Control4 system and the Extra Vegetables driver... A simple email to the address provided above will ensure what I have now in terms of functionality doesn't change. Correct?

And thanks for taking the time to come on here and explain.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Dan: Yes, as long as you are not installing it professionally, and have  not purchased a pre-build system from a professional, this will be enough.

I'm just an end user with Popcorn Hour Media Players, My Movies and the associated drivers from Extra Vegatables.  I use My Movies on my home PC.  That's it...good to know I won't get left out.

Dan: Yes, as long as you are not installing it professionally, and have  not purchased a pre-build system from a professional, this will be enough.

Thanks for clarifying this Binnerup. When will the process start to qualify end-customers by email?

Not automatically - the users will have to contact our support.

But it means that we then will make sure they can upgrade, but ONLY for users who purchased before the first My Movies 5 Pre Release, which means users who purchased more than a month ago.

Not automatically - the users will have to contact our support.

But it means that we then will make sure they can upgrade, but ONLY for users who purchased before the first My Movies 5 Pre Release, which means users who purchased more than a month ago.

So how does an EV / popcorn / Mm user do this today?

Would I buy the MM from EV?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

EV does not sell My Movies licenses.

This can be done only by purchasing a full My Movies hardware based product, or by purchasing a license from a dealer registered as a My Movies professional.

Just as your Control4 dealer can register as a dealer with EV, they can register with us and sell the licenses this way.

Hi guys,

Being referred to this topic, it is important to me to give some detailed information about this, and clear up some confusement.

First of all, we are not going to let any end-users getting caught in the middle of this - existing users who have used the API prior to the My Movies 5 Pre Release will be able to still by contacting us. More details about this later in the topic.

The My Movies API was created originally in relation to the co-operation between My Movies and Extra Vegetables, with the professional market in mind. The change made in My Movies 5 have naturally been cleared with Extra Vegetables.

Extra Vegetables sells driver licenses only to professionals, which means that from the information we have, the drivers are not available to end-users here either. The change we are making in My Movies is more or less to follow the same path - the API will become available to professionals only to ensure that customers gets the correct help and support on the solution. There is no requirement of the registred My Movies professionals to supply hardware along with the solution - all Control4 dealers can join our professional program, and provide licenses to their end-customers just like they can provide licenses from Extra Vegetables - the dealer on the other hand also chooses his own margin if supplying only the licenses directly.

The main reason that we are making this change is that we have found a high number of professionals to ignore the fact that My Movies may not be distributed by professionals without them being part of our installer program. The installer program is created for various reasons, and it is hugely important for us that the software is not supplied professionally without the companies being part of this program. Despite the fact that the installer prompts about it, that our download page specifically lists this requirement, many of the Control4 professionals (and other professionals) have ignored this fact, and is supplying products with My Movies pre-installed to customers, without being part of the required professional program.

This leads to end-customers receiving products from companies that does not have the needed in-dept knowledge, nor the extended support options that are required to provide a high-quality and well supported solution to the end-user. Since end-users purchases devices without the proper support, and devices that are not based on the required knowledge, we see a professional market that starts thinking of My Movies as an unprofessional product, without the professional customer support needed, and worse yet, it makes it more difficult to our registered professional partners, who have done things the "right" way, to have difficulties selling their products in the market.

This is a situation that is caused by professionals who decides to ingore our professional program, and to protect our product brand, and the product brands of our customers (VidaBox is mentioned here, but Vidabox is just one of many). The only way we can improve this situation is to block professionals that ingores the installer program to not have access to the solution intended for professional usage.

The way we are going to handle this is:

For professionals

Professionals that have sold, or are selling systems based on the My Movies software solution should join the My Movies Installer Program. The purchase price of end-user licenses (the 2500 points licenses) made will be given as rebate on the sign-up fee - the sign-up fee is currently $250, which means that if a professional have purchased two end-user licenses at $100, they will pay effectively only $50 for the sign-up fee, and, they will be given credits on their installer account, allowing them to freely purchase the two My Movies 5 integrator licenses needed for the systems supplied.

This is an offer we are making temporary, to give all professionals an option to "do things right", no matter if they on purpose decided to violate the license terms originally, or if they simply did not know about the requirement. There have for a period been incorrect informations in the Extra Vegetables documentation, which could have lead to some of these situations - we can't see how the professionals could have bypassed the forced questions in the software installer, but that is not important moving forward.

For end-customers

The end-customers who are being caught in the middle of this, surely will be taken care of. The solution is not yet available for these customers, but will be before the final release of My Movies 5, and in good time for interested customers to join the Pre Release testing.

The solution will either be that we will be able to mark specific user accounts as having access to the API, or, we will transfer the customers to a professional license, under our own installer account. Ideally, we would have had a solution where all existing users with 2500 points or more would automatically have a marking on their user account, but we are unable to do this, as such marking would also include the professionals who have supplied solutions in violation with the license terms.

The process for end-customers will be that they contact us on support@mymovies.dk, where we will confirm the following:

- The system they are running on was not supplied by a professional with the My Movies software included. If supplied by a professional, the professional supplier should join our installer program. Customers with professional partners that refuses to do this, we will be sure to take care of anyways, and we will then have to consider how to handle the professional supplier separately.

- The point purchase made, or the contributions made to the solution that caused the user account to reach 2500 points was made before the My Movies 5 Pre Release was released, and the API deprecation for end-customers became known. This is to ensure that we do not have end-users who reacts not because they are existing users, but because they now became aware of the future limitaitons.

- The customer will be asked to supply information about in which relation they use the API existingly, to ensure that we do not have users contacting us, who are not actively using the API currently.

I hope that this clears things up, and if not, feel free to ask any questions, and I will be sure to explain further.

While this can be upsetting for the users affected, we hope for your support on this, as it is in the end a step taken to ensure that end-customers are supplied solutions only by companies who can provide professional support along with it.

We believe that My Movies 5 is a hugely interesting product for both our professional partners, and for the end-customers, with the fully automated and unattended copying of disc titles, including the video conversion option that can prepare videos for mobile devices, DNLA, Chromecast and similar, or - the functionality that will also allow fully unattended copying directly to lossless MKV files.

Best regards,

Brian Binnerup

My Movies

Hello Brian,

I had sent multiple email since 2012 to setup as an installer - never received a reply on any of them.

Archived