C4 Forums | Control4

How do you like OS3 so far?

jfh

23 hours ago, drro said:

Question for the group:  Since my upgrade to OS3, I am not able to access my system using Composer HE (v3.0.0)  on my work computer (i.e, over the internet).   My dealer looked into it, and said this "feature" was removed from v3, but may return later if Control4 receives feedback indicating customers miss the feature.  Is this true?  And, if so, what is the best means of letting Control4 know I miss the feature?

cc: @RyanE

To follow-up on this, I had a great call with Control4 tech support, facilitated by the @control4 Twitter account.  The feature was not removed as my dealer had told me.  The problem was my work guest network was blocking the required VPN connection, generating the errors.  Once I connected using my cellphone as a hotspot, all worked as expected.

On 6/28/2019 at 3:46 AM, niall said:

If you use the onscreen display for lights, security, heating etc then don't upgrade as you loose all of this. The benefits are not enough for me for the loss of functionality.

Are you saying that the app no longer has a lights/security/heating tabs, or are you referring to the compatibility with the old C4 touchscreens?

On 6/27/2019 at 6:46 AM, CTO said:

Everything worked for me before OS3, then I decided to update and had issues with intercom as been stated by a number of posts.  Finally got it fixed, but overall I liked the old layout.. this didn't really do anything for me..  I just watch Tv and listen to music. everything else didn't really do anything for me.  I haven't updated my family systems since it will confuse everyone more than do anything for them.

You mentioned issues with intercom. Can you expand on that or post a link to the thread? I have a DS2 video door station for my gate.

Not sure if there's an update, but I opened pandora, my list shows up, I click on the channel it opens then kicks me back to the channel list.  Click another channel, does same.  I click on the 3 dots to the right of the channel, click play channel, it plays, but the screen reverts back to the channel, click again and it does the same.  I deleted the APP, and re-install, same. I hard reset phone, same.  I tried it on my TV screen and everything works fine.

All the GUI customizations are really nice but it's a PITA to do that on every phone screen etc...

Is there a way to export, store or copy a devices settings to another device?

49 minutes ago, blub said:

All the GUI customizations are really nice but it's a PITA to do that on every phone screen etc...

Is there a way to export, store or copy a devices settings to another device?

In my project it’s done at the room level. On any device you modify a room, and it’s that way in every device. I wish I could configure devices separately. 

On 7/2/2019 at 6:31 PM, LollerAgent said:

Ok - these are probably pretty stupid questions, but I haven't spent a lot of time with OS3 yet.

The videos all talk about a common "Dashboard" where you can add favorites/icons from any room in your house.  Where is this dashboard?  Does my dealer need to create a "Dashboard" room just so the UI will show this? 

How can I add favorites to a room from another room?  I don't see the option when I press and hold an icon to place the favorite in another room.

Where is the "Home screen?  The C4 videos show a "My Home" screen that I cannot seem to find.

you can see your room list above and there right of the top you can see a pen symbol. select this and make your home favorite.

What happened to the "Dedicated Mode"?  I had that on an iPad in an iPort on the wall.  Since the upgrade I have to launch the application every time I want to use C4.  I liked dedicated mode.  I don't need the iPad features.  I just want to be able to use the Navigator.

5 hours ago, GSC4Home said:

What happened to the "Dedicated Mode"?  I had that on an iPad in an iPort on the wall.  Since the upgrade I have to launch the application every time I want to use C4.  I liked dedicated mode.  I don't need the iPad features.  I just want to be able to use the Navigator.

Hi @GSC4Home,

As we were evaluating the 3.0 development timeline there were certain features that had to be cut to ensure that critical functionality and overall quality was baked into our initial release.  Unfortunately, "Dedicated Mode" was one of those features.  Nobody likes when features are cut, including ourselves, but we felt that with the option to enable "Guided Access" (Enable Guided Access) on an iPad that our time would be better spent adding critical features that iOS doesn't provide by default.

With that said, we're always sensitive to customer requests and if this is a highly-desired feature relative to other requests it may make a return.

@jakblak, please count me as a vote for restoring dedicated mode. Guided access doesn’t maintain the connection to the controller, which must be refreshed each time I try to use the iOS device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip on Guided Access.  I've enabled that and have been using it all day.  So far, I vote for getting the Dedicated Mode functionality back.

When I enabled Guided Access it worked fine until the screen saver kicked in.  When the screen saver starts you have to press the Home button to "wake up" the iPad.  The iOS home screen appears, and after a second or so the C4 app starts, but it has to load so there is a delay.  Just like other posters have mentioned the start up time for the app is a lot longer than it was in OS2.  In OS2 Dedicated Mode, you could touch the screen to wake up the app and it was there, already running.  I think removing Dedicated Mode was a step backwards.

Other features in OS3?  Great job.  I love the favorites.  The navigation is cleaner.  Adding functionality and scenes to a room is much much better than having to do the programming in Composer.

• 1 month later...

I had some issues with intercom when os3 came out connecting to a few table top lcd’s, but these have been resolved.. that was the biggest issue when I upgraded.. other than that it seems like its been working fine other than I don’t like the layout.. I preferred the old OS.  I could be on any TV and pull up any zone and do whatever I needed to do. But with this new OS I can’t access any other zone from a specific TV as I was able to do before.. so thats annoying.. I don’t have any custom buttons, etc.  so now if I need to access a different room, I just use my phone or table top LCD.  Overall its works so thats all that matters.. I can hit watch and watch TV or hit listen and play music.. thats good enough for me

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.