C4 Forums | Control4

DarkSky Weather Integration

I was able to identify a case which could be causing the issue you faced with it freezing the checks for weather.

I've just released V9 which fixes a bug where if driver fails to fetch weather due to no internet connection it won't check again until the weather is manually fetched from Composer.

Auto update should kick in within 72 hours and everyone should be good to go!

• 3 months later...

Here we go again...

Apple acquires weather app Dark Sky

Dark Sky’s API will continue to function “through the end of 2021,” but Grossman says Dark Sky will won’t be accepting new signups to use the API. That means that eventually, third party apps won’t be able to use Dark Sky’s weather data in their own apps.

2 hours ago, R_Willis said:

Control4 needs to come up with something. I am pretty sure there are a lot of users stuck with personal weather stations (PWS) and no way to integrate.

I'm pretty sure there aren't a "lot" of users. I even doubt there's many more than those that are on this forum already.

Not saying it's not a nice feature, but I fail to see where Control4 "needs" to step in.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so confused.  I would like to add weather, but all I hear is Weather Underground is going away, Dark sky is going away, and personal weather station doesn't integrate right.  Am I missing something?  Does C4 not have a weather integration?  

I'd jump on a PWS if that will guarantee success - I like the idea of getting MY weather integrated - priorities being current/future temp, and historical rainfall.

(hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread, seems to have run it's course).

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Which is where it becomes risky to integrate anything, especially built-in/provided by Control4

If it fails to warn you, and it's a marketed feature, is there liability?

Just put a disclaimer like poor McDonald's has to do to warn you their hot coffee is hot.... All the weather apps on iphone/android can do that, they don't need a disclaimer. Just saying. 

1 hour ago, Neo1738 said:

Just put a disclaimer like poor McDonald's has to do to warn you their hot coffee is hot.... All the weather apps on iphone/android can do that, they don't need a disclaimer. Just saying. 

Oh? So you've read the terms? Pretty sure it's right there.

6 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Oh? So you've read the terms? Pretty sure it's right there.

So then why can't C4 put a disclaimer you have to acknowledge maybe on your login account before it will work? I think "threat of lawsuit" is a piss poor excuse. What if a scene doesn't fire correctly and I trip in the dark can I sue C4 then? While anyone can sue for anything true serious liability can be mitigated with a simple warning. if we take your mentality everyone might as well close up shop. 

14 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

if we take your mentality everyone might as well close up shop. 

Understand that on a personal level, I 100% agree with this. But this is not about personal opinions.

The difference with McD or a light not turning on and you tripping is that a tornado alert on a smart home system, ESPECIALLY if it's a built-in feature (ie not a 3rd party driver), even MORE so if it uses a 3rd party service for data, could be considered a security/life saving measure, and a simple disclaimer may not be enough to take away liability.

I've no doubt Control4/SnapAV have a Law branch/team of lawyers that go over exactly these kind of things.

I have no inside knowledge about this particular function being discussed or not within C4, but I know enough of the general 'business' to know that this is a LIKELY hurdle.

I doubt C4 would spend time on developing something alike unless they get a general go ahead by the company's lawyers (which would be followed by a review once the product was tested under alpha, and again under beta).

Keep in mind that Control4 is an international market company - they have to work with court rulings and laws on multiple countries (and states) making something like this (unfortunately!) a lot more problematic.

5 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Understand that on a personal level, I 100% agree with this. But this is not about personal opinions.

The difference with McD or a light not turning on and you tripping is that a tornado alert on a smart home system, ESPECIALLY if it's a built-in feature (ie not a 3rd party driver), even MORE so if it uses a 3rd party service for data, could be considered a security/life saving measure, and a simple disclaimer may not be enough to take away liability.

I've no doubt Control4/SnapAV have a Law branch/team of lawyers that go over exactly these kind of things.

I have no inside knowledge about this particular function being discussed or not within C4, but I know enough of the general 'business' to know that this is a LIKELY hurdle.

I doubt C4 would spend time on developing something alike unless they get a general go ahead by the company's lawyers (which would be followed by a review once the product was tested under alpha, and again under beta).

Keep in mind that Control4 is an international market company - they have to work with court rulings and laws on multiple countries (and states) making something like this (unfortunately!) a lot more problematic.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/5/21165985/new-alexa-features-nba-severe-weather-commute-directions

Well Amazon can do it. I'm not a lawyer and dont play one on TV; however, it seems like a poor excuse when many other companies do similar and use 3rd party api to pull in data. I think they're are things C4 does that are just as dangerous as weather alerts like let you close a garage door without playing an audible or any warning to ensure no one will be hurt. Allowing lights to program off a motion sensor including ones that are battery not hard wired. Say sensor battery is low light doesn't trigger on motion sensor and I fall down stairs... you see anything basically can be construed to be a lawsuit waiting to happen. More people have motion sensor lights than will get hit by a tornado w C4 installed I'm guessing. Also by virtue no one cam expect an electronic device to be perfect if a Tornado takes out communications there is no way any internet device could warn. I doubt Amazon is getting sued if an echo doesn't go off. I digress from that but may have a solution to solve the problem by putting a dot in the rack that has audio sensing that goes to all zones. Give it it's own amazon account so it's not accidentally activated for music etc. Not as nice as a C4 solution that can turn on lights,  set audio to a local weather station etc. But an option. 

Just now, msgreenf said:

this thread feels like an argument for argument's sake. Control4 hasn't done it that's all we know. Could they do it sure. They can do anything that suits their business

That's why I digresssed and posted a possible temporary solution but had to edit so you probably didn't see it. 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I am using the Tempest Weather driver.  You probably also need the hardware, but it's not crazy expensive compared to the other options out there.  Benefit is that you can get a LOT more variables from the local device and also the forecast info from the Tempest service.  

WAY better than the Dark Sky driver, in my opinion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.