C4 Forums | Control4

New Sonos Rack Amp and other big Features

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Before you get too excited, no, you still won’t be able to search Sonos music through a third-party home automation system, but developers will have access to so many other goodies that were previously unavailable to third-party systems"

I stopped reading after this...

7 minutes ago, mallom said:

"Before you get too excited, no, you still won’t be able to search Sonos music through a third-party home automation system, but developers will have access to so many other goodies that were previously unavailable to third-party systems"

I stopped reading after this...

using Control4 to search on Sonos was never good. I have always just created a playlist using the sonos app or add a service to my favorites.

The Sonos hate cracks me up...  Its by far still the best product like it on the market, There are competitors but their fit and finish are far superior to the majority and their App is still considerably better.  I have and or have installed Sonos, Heos, and Autonomic Mirage. The sonos kills them all. 

I'm curious if they will have a new Connect as well, still would like to see an actual rackmount with multiple streams like the rackmount heos unit. This is the one place I think HEOS has a lead. 

I don't like Sonos hardware but agree the app is far ahead

The Sonos hate cracks me up...  Its by far still the best product like it on the market, There are competitors but their fit and finish are far superior to the majority and their App is still considerably better.  I have and or have installed Sonos, Heos, and Autonomic Mirage. The sonos kills them all. 
I'm curious if they will have a new Connect as well, still would like to see an actual rackmount with multiple streams like the rackmount heos unit. This is the one place I think HEOS has a lead. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a long-time Sonos user, building a new house with C4. I'm debating staying with Sonos Amps vs. switching to C4 audio and matrix amps for whole house audio. The biggest reason for C4 over Sonos was the ability to do announcements, but  announcements are a part of new Sonos API. The reasons to stay with Sonos are the better mobile app and more supported services (specifically, Apple Music.) I also like that the Sonos amps have a subwoofer pre-out.

Do you think the new Sonos API is enough of a reason to consider going with Sonos for whole-house audio?

Going to realistically take up 8U for 8 zones

Not actually properly rack mountable, they just sit on a shelf with a faceplate in front of them so no different to the old Connect Amp

No browsing of music sources within C4

$600 per zone of audio

8 Power cords for 8 zones

No high res audio support

or

Triad TS-AMS8 + TSPAMP-100 = 8 Zones audio, 2U rack space (4U if you space out generously), $350 per zone approx, high res audio, native browsing of supported music services, two power cords.

Hmmmmmmm........let me think on that one.

I'm wondering how C4 handles announcements/paging when playing from an external audio source. 1) Does it switch the matrix audio over to the C4 output, play the announcement, then switch back? 2) Does it mute when Amazon Alexa is invoked? I like how Sonos handles those features and I'm wondering if C4 handles them similarly. 

On 9/9/2018 at 8:06 PM, thegizzard said:

3 sonos connects into the c4 16 channel matrix amp has worked perfectly for me for many years.  I admit the rack is ugly.  But that was low on the list of "features" for me.

How do you handle the multiple Sonos Connects in the C4 navigator.  If you are in the room you select the sonos you want to play?  You'll see 3 of them in there and you are selecting 1 of them?  How would another person in the house know which one your are using and not steal it away from you?

If doing it this way I assume you don't or can't use the Sonos app when going through the matrix?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 9:52 AM, Control-IT said:

How do you handle the multiple Sonos Connects in the C4 navigator.  If you are in the room you select the sonos you want to play?  You'll see 3 of them in there and you are selecting 1 of them?  How would another person in the house know which one your are using and not steal it away from you?

If doing it this way I assume you don't or can't use the Sonos app when going through the matrix?

Recently I switched to a dedicated sonos per floor of the house.  Each navigator only has the sonos for its floor.   So I am not really using the matrix portion of the switch so much anymore.

I turned autosensing on in the amp.  Now when I start the sonos with the sonos app, the amp turns the speakers on the main listening room on the floor on.

I sometimes use Control4 zones to turn on other rooms (like backyard or kitchen).  

On 9/26/2018 at 12:57 AM, Control-IT said:

Are there any other options for Apple Music besides Sonos?  

The iTunes driver and a dedicated PC works quite well.  Any music that you have added your library elsewhere (e.g. on an iPad) will be available via the driver if properly set up.

I am sure that there will be a proper C4 driver in the not too distant future following the new iOS and tvOS releases...

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, therockhr said:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/architectural-solutions?fbclid=IwAR3G7FvglvbJDAl0XjbFQB58MbHgvBjlTvlHSTweNB0sKsI80cEopx84j2g

It looks like these prices are the same as other Sonance speakers ($$$$). I cant believe there is that big a difference between in-ceiling speakers.

That's pretty normal, most of the in-ceiling speakers I supply and install are in the $400-600 price bracket per pair for multi-room audio applications. For home theater it is $400 upwards per speaker.

Archived