C4 Forums | Control4

22 TV's

So, I have been busy posting today.  My guess is I will be buying 22 Tv's over the Thanksgiving Holiday.  I plan to buy:

Sony

LG 

Samsung

IP control and 4k us a must.  Any suggested series & brands - the LG 8000 series looks promising.

1 x 75" or larger (Family Room - viewed the most)

4 x 55" (doing 4 TVs in son's play room for Xbox/PS4)

2 x 40" - 43" (not sure yet, but in kitchen and basement bar)

2 x 75" (on outside decks)

13 x 65" (bedrooms, gym, ect..)

Thoughts?

48 minutes ago, panamagixxer said:

So, I have been busy posting today.  My guess is I will be buying 22 Tv's over the Thanksgiving Holiday.  I plan to buy:

Sony

LG 

Samsung

IP control and 4k us a must.  Any suggested series & brands - the LG 8000 series looks promising.

1 x 75" or larger (Family Room - viewed the most)

4 x 55" (doing 4 TVs in son's play room for Xbox/PS4)

2 x 40" - 43" (not sure yet, but in kitchen and basement bar)

2 x 75" (on outside decks)

13 x 65" (bedrooms, gym, ect..)

Thoughts?

Can you adopt me?

I'm sure there are dealers on this forum that can give you great advice on the brands they recommend.  All 3 above are good.  I prefer Samsung due to integration with Control4 and experience.  I've had less luck with LG & Sharp.  No experience with Sony.

Following to see others recommendations.  Good luck with the build and report back on your progress.

I’ve always used Samsungs and found them brilliant and they integrate well with C4.   However, I am busy finalising my Beach House and putting 5 LGs in there (plus a projector).  Two reasons for going LG this time:

1. The new LG OLED displays look incredible.

2. I hear really good things about the @annex⁴ LG driver and believe it can do more than any other TV driver so am keen to try this...

I would recommend sticking to one brand (so that you can maximize the benefits of integration and a driver).

New Samsungs Suck big time. The "one Connect" box is an absolute beast these days, It weighs like 10 lbs, cannot be strapped behind the TV, needs a supid fiber optic cable (and if you need a longer one you will be shocked at how stupidly expensive they are). Apparently the only decent Samsung left is the Q8. Q7 Has one connect, and so does Q9. Samsungs also tend to fail much more often. So I doubt that Q8 comes in all the different sizes you want but that is the only decent samsung they make these days. Other than Q8 stay away. Samsungs picture quality is  super saturated and looks fake, they must be calibrated and I calibrate every Samsung I come across, the colors are off big time.

New LG TVs still use the Nintendo Wii remote (LG Magic Remote), and I know you will have SR-260's but trying to use the LG TVs apps and such with the magic remote is a huge joke. I cannot understand why LG thinks anyone would want to use a wii remote. Every customer I have seen use the LG Magic remote immediately says "man, i wish they just had a normal remote". LG TVs are also way over saturated and must be calibrated

Sony TVs are pretty damn good, but the android interface is getting pretty cluttered and cumbersom. Without a doubt the Sony has the best integration and most smart features but it is definitely not the cleanest interface and because it is so busy it can be harder to use. Sony TVs have great color and right out of the box look great, little to no calibration required. One thing that does suck is some models have an external power brick, which really sucks to double sided tape to the back of a TV, Some models dont have the power brick but the ones that do kinda suck.

Then we have the best option, Panasonic ;)

The Panasonic TVs have no one connect box, no stupid gimmicky remotes, they have Control4 SDDP built in (I recently swapped a router and even after the entire network was swapped the SDDP Panasonic TV was still working within Control4 - Awesome!). Panasonic is without a shadow of a doubt the most reliable and less likely to fail. The Panasonic OLED is in my opinion the best picture out there right now. The smart apps interface is super simple to use and is laid out wonderfully. It is simple, not cluttered and just works. Unfortuneately the IP driver cannot launch apps like "netflix" directly, you must go to the apps homepage then select netflix from there. But because the Panasonic smart interface is so stripped down and  has such a simple layout I honestly don't mind having to go to apps then Netflix. (But it would be nice to go directly to netflix.) Panasonic Colors are true to life and rarely, if ever, need to be calibrated.

So yea, I'm on on the Panasonic bandwagon HARD. In my opinion it is the best option without a doubt.

16 minutes ago, BraydonH said:

New Samsungs Suck big time. The "one Connect" box is an absolute beast these days, It weighs like 10 lbs, cannot be strapped behind the TV, needs a supid fiber optic cable (and if you need a longer one you will be shocked at how stupidly expensive they are). Apparently the only decent Samsung left is the Q8. Q7 Has one connect, and so does Q9. Samsungs also tend to fail much more often. So I doubt that Q8 comes in all the different sizes you want but that is the only decent samsung they make these days. Other than Q8 stay away. Samsungs picture quality is  super saturated and looks fake, they must be calibrated and I calibrate every Samsung I come across, the colors are off big time.

New LG TVs still use the Nintendo Wii remote (LG Magic Remote), and I know you will have SR-260's but trying to use the LG TVs apps and such with the magic remote is a huge joke. I cannot understand why LG thinks anyone would want to use a wii remote. Every customer I have seen use the LG Magic remote immediately says "man, i wish they just had a normal remote". LG TVs are also way over saturated and must be calibrated

Sony TVs are pretty damn good, but the android interface is getting pretty cluttered and cumbersom. Without a doubt the Sony has the best integration and most smart features but it is definitely not the cleanest interface and because it is so busy it can be harder to use. Sony TVs have great color and right out of the box look great, little to no calibration required. One thing that does suck is some models have an external power brick, which really sucks to double sided tape to the back of a TV, Some models dont have the power brick but the ones that do kinda suck.

Then we have the best option, Panasonic ;)

The Panasonic TVs have no one connect box, no stupid gimmicky remotes, they have Control4 SDDP built in (I recently swapped a router and even after the entire network was swapped the SDDP Panasonic TV was still working within Control4 - Awesome!). Panasonic is without a shadow of a doubt the most reliable and less likely to fail. The Panasonic OLED is in my opinion the best picture out there right now. The smart apps interface is super simple to use and is laid out wonderfully. It is simple, not cluttered and just works. Unfortuneately the IP driver cannot launch apps like "netflix" directly, you must go to the apps homepage then select netflix from there. But because the Panasonic smart interface is so stripped down and  has such a simple layout I honestly don't mind having to go to apps then Netflix. (But it would be nice to go directly to netflix.) Panasonic Colors are true to life and rarely, if ever, need to be calibrated.

So yea, I'm on on the Panasonic bandwagon HARD. In my opinion it is the best option without a doubt.

What Panasonic models are you using?

I personally own a 55" 4K  EZ 950 OLED

https://www.panasonic.com/ca/consumer/televisions-home-entertainment/4k-oled.html

People tell me all the time that the 950 is the best picture they have ever seen. Its not often you get comments like that. I never get those types of comments with samsungs or LGs. People can instantly tell there is something 'special' about the OLED. As soon as they see it they know its not like the TV they have at their home.

And for 4K LED TVs

https://www.panasonic.com/ca/consumer/televisions-home-entertainment/4k-ultra-hd.html

https://www.panasonic.com/ca/consumer/televisions-home-entertainment/4k-ultra-hd/tc-58ex750.html

I personally bought a Panasonic TC-58-EX-750 and it is gorgeous. The aluminum bezels and chrome stand. Honestly this might be one TV take looks better on the stand that it does wall mounted. I really prefer aluminum bezels over black as it makes the contrast of the TV better.

And I also own an 65" ZT Plasma

https://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/TC-P65ZT60.html

And although it doesn't have an IP driver or anything like that it is still an absolutely amazing TV 4-5 years later after I have bought it. It was basically the best plasma ever made before plasmas were discontinued.

So what I am getting at here is that almost all models of Pansonic kick ass. There is no wrong answer here as they are all decent. Its up to your budget if you think you can splurge on the OLED stuff. But personally, the LED 4K stuff is amazing and the black levels are superb for a LED TV.

If you want any more preaching about Panasonic TVs let me know, I can go all day ;) they really make a great product.

And I'm not 100% sure on this, I could be wrong, but from what I have seen with the Panasonic TV in Canada is that any of the TVs with "Fire Fox OS" have SDDP. Which is pretty much the whole line up.

Edit - Looks like they rebranded the Fire Fox OS to " My Home Screen 2.0 ". So I think any Pansonic TV with " My Home Screen 2.0 " has SDDP.

34 minutes ago, BraydonH said:

Have you looked at any of the higher end Vizios - P and P-Quantum?  If so, what are your thoughts?  They are consistently highly rated by rtings.com.

Just now, LollerAgent said:

Have you looked at any of the higher end Vizios - P and P-Quantum?  If so, what are your thoughts?  They are consistently highly rated by rtings.com.

I would rather have a nice Vizio than a Samsung with one of those stupid one connect boxes, lets put it that way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Panasonic get out of the retail TV business?  At least in the US.  I still have a plasma Pana that won't die so I'm still a fan but they aren't really available , at least not through retail outlets.

In Canada they are still sold at retail. They are also sold through distribution.

At AVAD you can only get Panasonic in Canada, and with AVAD US you can't get Panasonic. So not sure what the full story is there, but if you can get your hands on a Panasonic it is definitely worth the effort you put in to source it out.

The company for which I work swears by Sony. I do as well. LG and Samsung (more so LG) have been quite frustrating to work with. The hidden pro menu of the Sony panels where you can export a setup file make for a super easy, consistent install.

What makes Samsung frustrating?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I despise the SmartHub interface and find it clunky and slow to deal with. Some of the older models don't even offer Prime as an app option for streaming which has frustrated some customers who got a smart TV just so they wouldn't have to get a separate streaming box. More importantly though, Sony offers a much easier way to customize the input settings, light sensor settings, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I do not have the experience or opinions about the brand of display as others,  However as part of your open ended thoughts question, I would seriously recommend researching  a video matrix switch, (like leaf or others) ,  We love the ability to share the same source or not our video.  This could also reduce your source provider cost depending on your needs and configuration.   Just a thought

Archived