C4 Forums | Control4

Receiver options for new install

middlevil

Having control4 installed in our new house. My integrator wants to use two Sony STR-ZA1100es as a less expensive option for the WHA. He is touting the IP functionality of the receivers and while they look like good receivers I find there features lacking. I'm only using these two receivers for whole home audio (4 zones) and a in ceiling 5.1 surround in my living room. Would also like to keep the cost down below what the two Sony's would cost. So I'm wondering what AVR is out there that have the same IP feature-set it might be able to replace these two? 

I personally like the Integras.  I had a DRX-3.1 installed in my new basement and now I want to throw away my NAD (runs a turn table and TV setup in my office) and my Denon (runs a different surround zone). 
I just think the setup is easy and clear and they integrate very via IP.

Onkyo shares the same pedigree as integra and the integration is really good. You have two way driver, great access to the input and output zones, you can tie the second zone to a different room and it appears to the user to function as a seperate device. I am not familiar with using the internal network sources (internal spotify for example) with zone 2 as I find that it's easier to do all that from C4 or an outboard device and split/matrix across zones. I know with Dennon/Marantz it gets weird when airplaying directly to the reciever and trying to use zone 2... it assumes an incoming airplay connection means make the main zone play airplay... The only caution is if you are using the second zone output it may not support a digital input until you get into fairly high in the product line.

I think that as a rule Onkyo (and absolutely Integra, but we're getting spendy again) sound much better than their Sony equivalents.  

Yea Denon over Marantz, espcially because OP said he wants to scale the budget back. Marantz is basically the same thing it just costs more. If he was super high end go with Marantz but for this guy the Denon will do just fine.

8 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Denon every time 

My Denon sounds nice, but two things jump out at me.

1. it is a bit older and maybe new ones fixed this but, when my denon loses power, it absolutely will not turn back on until I've physically touched the power button.  Then I'm good for on/off control until it happens again
  2. I find the Denon setup to be overly, complicated.  People on the internet have written entire guides on how to set up Denon.  Is it impossible, no, I just find others are a little more intuitive.  Maybe this has changed as of late.

1 hour ago, BraydonH said:

Definitely don't try to use zone 2/3 on the amps.

Get a c4-8amp for the 4 zones of audio, and get a denon/sony/yamaha/integra/onkyo/marantz for the theatre rooms. They all have good IP control. We typically do the Denon AVR-X3500H.

So you don't think using two AVR's is the right way to go? I've found a used Control 4 C4-8amp1-b 4-zone Matrix Amplifier for considerably less than new. would it be more advantageous to use this and nice older model AVR for the 5.1 in the living room?

Yes much more advantageous.

Also those C4 Matrix Amps are built very very well and rarely if ever have failures or issues. I wouldn't worry about buying a used one because it will likely still work for many years to come.

Even brand new the price point on the 4 zone amp is great in my opinion.

Use the AVR for your surrond zone(s).  I'd go with a matrix amp every time for 2 channel scenarios.  Except.  where it is a critical listen area, like a turn table or something.

As for IP control of the matrix amp, not much to control there other than which zones you want active.  Pretty much on, off and volume.  I never really had the need to go beyond that.

With the AVR what are you looking for?  My Integra has full menu support via IP, and C4 can automatically select different sound profiles if I program them.  IT sets default volume levels and selects inputs based on the activity I choose.   I'd say it is pretty seamless.  Unless you have some odd edge use case, you'll probably be able to do most things you want with the AVR via Control4.

Do you have a specific need?

14 minutes ago, Adidaswood said:

Use the AVR for your surrond zone(s).  I'd go with a matrix amp every time for 2 channel scenarios.  Except.  where it is a critical listen area, like a turn table or something.

As for IP control of the matrix amp, not much to control there other than which zones you want active.  Pretty much on, off and volume.  I never really had the need to go beyond that.

With the AVR what are you looking for?  My Integra has full menu support via IP, and C4 can automatically select different sound profiles if I program them.  IT sets default volume levels and selects inputs based on the activity I choose.   I'd say it is pretty seamless.  Unless you have some odd edge use case, you'll probably be able to do most things you want with the AVR via Control4.

Do you have a specific need?

I'm just looking for something that'll play well with control4 that has IP functionality because that seems to be very important with my integrator. Just not feeling it with that Sony model for the same price I can get a decent AVR with better features.

A couple of folks have mentioned Onkyo / Integra - both are made by Onkyo.

Another brand owned by the Onkyo group is Pioneer.  All three of these (Onkyo, Integra, and Pioneer) in their current models are almost identical except for the branding and some minor brand differentiation / technology.   I believe the firmware is almost identical.

I have two of the Pioneer Elite AVRs in my setup.  They sound excellent and the features are top notch.  Integration with Control4 was straightforward (I believe they are SDDP compatible - correct me if I am wrong) - definitely a fully functional driver for them in Control4.

On-screen interface is very good and room tuning software works well.  They have all of the latest firmware features including almost all streaming services (including Amazon Music) if you need that beyond what your Control4 controller has.  Also zones if you need them.  

Only thing I don't like about them is that the on-screen volume meter is in dB's (decibels) - I wish there was an option to just show 0 to 100 for those of us who don't care about audiophile volume levels...

Bonus with Pioneer is that SnapAV sells them as a partner brand, and your AV integrator is likely buying from SnapAV...

I'll back the installer.

The Sony's are great. Excellent sound quality, reliable, 5 year warranty, and seamless integration.

What features do you feel are missing? No streaming, that's a bring your own, and they do work great with their music connect sense feature.

3 hours ago, RAV said:

No streaming, that's a bring your own, and they do work great with their music connect sense feature.

Yep agree.  I rarely us the built in streaming services on my AVR.  On occasion I might need a different (second or third) stream from the rest of the house, but again that is rare for us

3 hours ago, RAV said:

I'll back the installer.

The Sony's are great. Excellent sound quality, reliable, 5 year warranty, and seamless integration.

What features do you feel are missing? No streaming, that's a bring your own, and they do work great with their music connect sense feature.

well from what I'm seeing for less money you can get more HDMI inputs more HDMI outputs more watts per channel. Basically comes down you're getting more for less money but I'm worried about the IP feature I'm wondering if that's crucial. If the Denon's and integra's give you the same integration as the Sony's for less money with more features why wouldn't you go that route.

Just because the avr’s Have more hdmi inputs, doesn’t mean you’re going to use them.  2nd/3rd zones need analog audio present from your sources in order for that to work.

Use the right equipment for the job.  As said above, multi-channel amp for your stereo zones and avrs for surround zones. You will slap yourself on the head when you realize what a mess using avrs for something that they are not really meant to do.

They market multi-zone because well hey it’s marketing.  But those amp channels are built in for the main zone with the 2nd ability to change it to multi channel. 

3 hours ago, middlevil said:

If the Denon's and integra's give you the same integration as the Sony's for less money with more features why wouldn't you go that route.

Cause they don't sound as good, or have the reliability and HDMI quality as Sony.

1 hour ago, RAV said:

Cause they don't sound as good, or have the reliability

Can’t speak for “hdmi quality” but my 8 year old denon is rock solid and is reliable.  And it works with c4.  Sound good is super subjective.   Go demo some at a magnolia center or local shop.  I did and I liked denon over pioneer, Sony and Yamaha but again that’s subjective

Frys has a great deal on a denon 3500.  That said the multi channel amp is the better tool here

3 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Just because the avr’s Have more hdmi inputs, doesn’t mean you’re going to use them.  2nd/3rd zones need analog audio present from your sources in order for that to work.

Use the right equipment for the job.  As said above, multi-channel amp for your stereo zones and avrs for surround zones. You will slap yourself on the head when you realize what a mess using avrs for something that they are not really meant to do.

They market multi-zone because well hey it’s marketing.  But those amp channels are built in for the main zone with the 2nd ability to change it to multi channel. 

Newer model Denon (so Marantz, too) can output digital sources over Z2/Z3.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.