C4 Forums | Control4

Server Rack advice?

zaphod

I bought a used APC Net Shelter Server Rack that is going in my "server room" in my basement.  I will be populating the rack with a couple of C4 8 zone amps, network switches (and other network gear like router, cable modem, etc), 1-2 PC servers, cable boxes and HD-PVR capture devices.  I don't have video distribution but if I did I would likely go with VideoStorm so that isn't something I have to think about.

Before I go down the route of wiring - any advice on how to do this?  The cabinet is on wheels and seems very stable so I don't think I have to worry too much about weight distribution.

Where do you place the rack since you need access to both the front and the back?  The middle of the room?  Or can you put one side of the rack against a wall?

Mine is up against a wall and I left a service loop in all my wiring. This way if I need to redo a connector or something I can cut and go. Also my rack is on wheels, and having this service loop allows me to pull it away from the wall and turn it if I need to get into the back of the setup. Works out pretty good for me. 

highly suggest it to be on wheel. bring your wire out of the wall up high and leave a loop enter the rack. then when you push the rack again the wall you dont have to worry about any wires getting stuck under the wheels. i have more than enough room to service at any angle and then goes nice and flat again the wall in the corner.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

In order to terminate the Ethernet cables onto a patch panel on the rack I am going to have to splice the existing CAT-6 cables. Is that a bad idea?

I tried a patch panel in my rack and ultimately removed as i preferred just to direct connect.   You can get one of these and make it look tidy and avoid the hassle of a patch panel and patch cables.

https://www.amazon.com/V7-Rack-Mount-Brush-Panel/dp/B01K1JI0T2

Just now, zaphod said:

Ok thanks - that helps.  I was envisioning coiling the excess cable on top of the server rack cabinet.

Yeah, it’s big - it’s unruly enough that it really only bends this way with the amount of cable and Velcro I have around it. I’d imagine some cables are as much as 1’ longer than others (distance from where the enter the bundle to where they enter the rack) because of their position in those loops. I have all the wires going in to the rack securely wrapped in Velcro, as well as the top where they all come together...in addition to a Velcro strap about every 24-36” in between. It’s easy to just lift it off the hook (hanging from the ceiling) and lean it against the wall. Then I can pull the rack whenever I need to in order to work on it. When it’s time to put it back I just grab the spot where the bend is and lift it up to the hook while wheeling it back to the corner. 

On a related topic - anyone have any advice on how to tag your cables?  I am thinking of the tie wraps that have room to put a label or write on.  I could but labels from a label maker right on the cables but these could be difficult to read.

9 hours ago, zaphod said:

On a related topic - anyone have any advice on how to tag your cables?  I am thinking of the tie wraps that have room to put a label or write on.  I could but labels from a label maker right on the cables but these could be difficult to read.

Labeler:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IELD1O4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Labels:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XU7T4E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What's the best place to put your Power Distribution Unit in a rack?  Top, Bottom or middle?  Note that this is like a 42U or 45U rack.  And the PDUs often seem to have only one input, which would seem to mean that they are limited to 15A.  Do I have to worry about that?  I may have 2x8 zone amps.  But a lot of the devices that I will be putting on my rack may have modest power requirements, like non-POE switches, C4 controllers, etc.

10 hours ago, zaphod said:

What's the best place to put your Power Distribution Unit in a rack?  Top, Bottom or middle?  Note that this is like a 42U or 45U rack.  And the PDUs often seem to have only one input, which would seem to mean that they are limited to 15A.  Do I have to worry about that?  I may have 2x8 zone amps.  But a lot of the devices that I will be putting on my rack may have modest power requirements, like non-POE switches, C4 controllers, etc.

Vertical power distribution is typically always best if your rack can accommodate it.

3 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

Vertical power distribution is typically always best if your rack can accommodate it.

Why is that? 

My rack is VERY deep so that I could put a vertically mounted strip on the back, or even vertically mounted on the sides.  My unit is an APC net shelter and I have taken off the side panels, rear panel and door and I doubt that I will ever put them back on.

It looks kind of like this without the panels:

serverrack_2272_12289750

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.