C4 Forums | Control4

Wattbox vs DLI

I have a WB-700 IP rack mount and the bottom bank of outlets are intermittently going out 2-3 times a day for 4-5 minutes so will be sending in for warranty repair.    Appreciate if anyone has experience with DLI Power Controller 7 and if anyone has a view on DLI vs Wattbox that would be appreciated also.

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, Gene said:

Let us know your review of DLI; I'm thinking of the same but I like OvrC.  Interesting to see what you think of DLI.  Thanks!

DLI is super great am using it with Domotz and couldn’t be much happier!

When did you install the Wattbox if you don’t mind me asking? Seems like there was a known issue a while back.

Curious to see if they’ve actually fixed this as I have a new one getting installed and would hate to have a known problem.

can anyone confirm that they’ve addressed this on the newer builds.

Sorry you’re going through this @ejn1

I just got a replacement WattBox 700 for one that failed the same way.  The failing unit was installed in 2016.  I have been unable to find any info regarding any change to design/parts to make the units more reliable or if there was just simply a bad batch.

But I may get a DLI unit for backup.  They seem to be mostly well reviewed and the price is a lot more reasonable.  

Why don't these types of units have battery backups?  Or are you supposed to plug them into a UPS?  I would think that for a bunch of the equipment on your rack, especially a controller and networking hardware, that you would want it to be connected to a UPS.  But you may not need, or want, that for an amplifier.

4 hours ago, Jakelay said:

When did you install the Wattbox if you don’t mind me asking? Seems like there was a known issue a while back.

Curious to see if they’ve actually fixed this as I have a new one getting installed and would hate to have a known problem.

can anyone confirm that they’ve addressed this on the newer builds.

Sorry you’re going through this @ejn1

The recent one that failed is a WB-700-IPV-12.   It was installed around 2016/7 I believe.   I have had (2) WB-200's and (1) WB-600 (i believe) fail also.   All IP versions.   SnapAV did replace them under warranty but the process was onerous as all of it has to be routed through a dealer.  

I thought the 700 series was immune to the past issues but apparently not.   

The Wattboxes are really cool but honestly the DLI looks a much better value and as some have said, better reputation around reliability.    I bought the Rack mount PDU 7 for $398 on Amazon and will get it Monday to replace the 700 while i mess with warranty.

All of the WB failures were in a 5 year window so not a great reliability record for me at least.    I'm sure someone will say they have had them in their rack forever with no issues but for me, it hasnt been good.

2 hours ago, jfh said:

I just got a replacement WattBox 700 for one that failed the same way.  The failing unit was installed in 2016.  I have been unable to find any info regarding any change to design/parts to make the units more reliable or if there was just simply a bad batch.

But I may get a DLI unit for backup.  They seem to be mostly well reviewed and the price is a lot more reasonable.  

Agree.  

16 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Why don't these types of units have battery backups?  Or are you supposed to plug them into a UPS?  I would think that for a bunch of the equipment on your rack, especially a controller and networking hardware, that you would want it to be connected to a UPS.  But you may not need, or want, that for an amplifier.

I had my WB connected to a Cyberpower Pure Sine Wave rack mount 1500W UPS.   Worked fine for several years until recently.   You can buy a Wattbox UPS version but they're way overpriced imho and I'm guessing they are just rebranding one of the majors anyway.   At first I wasn't sure if it was the UPS or Wattbox so I had to isolate and see if I could replicate the issue and I did.   It's the Wattbox.

I have 2 DLI switches one is connected to APC 3k Smart UPS to keep the controllers alive, one connected to AC directly to reboot Satellite Receivers, Media players, etc. It works and is packed with features, it’s auto recognised by Domotz and I simply reboot units either from Domotz or C4 ...

So why don't we have UPS with smart outlets, or smart outlets that have UPS?  It seems silly to need two devices, especially since UPS generally have some smarts in them that allow you to connect them to a PC.

Cause UPS is an ancient tech, smart plugs is a new one, companies focus on what they do best, it may be on the way but it’s not a big deal, I still owes and use a DSLR although Camera’s on phones becomes more powerful, etc but not for me 😀

28 minutes ago, zaphod said:

So why don't we have UPS with smart outlets, or smart outlets that have UPS?  It seems silly to need two devices, especially since UPS generally have some smarts in them that allow you to connect them to a PC.

I think it will get there...  One consideration is that UPS are very deep and heavy so not all racks can accomodate.   Having a UPS near the rack but not in it is a benefit for some.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:11 PM, ejn1 said:

I have a WB-700 IP rack mount and the bottom bank of outlets are intermittently going out 2-3 times a day for 4-5 minutes so will be sending in for warranty repair.    Appreciate if anyone has experience with DLI Power Controller 7 and if anyone has a view on DLI vs Wattbox that would be appreciated also.

Thanks!

I have the exact same problem. Top row works great. Don't use the bottom row at all. They say they'll replace it but I have to find my original receipt -- not going to be easy.

7 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I have the exact same problem. Top row works great. Don't use the bottom row at all. They say they'll replace it but I have to find my original receipt -- not going to be easy.

Yep,  sucks really.   Even when they replace, i have to buy another unit to cover in the interim.   Thats why I'm trying DLI this time.

4 minutes ago, jfh said:

Is there a C4 driver?

No,  Apparently Cyberpower doesnt release API....   I think im more in camp of DLI but it looks like a slick unit for $300 on Amazon.   If you dont need C4 access, then maybe an option for some.  

WattBox has combo units and separates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,
I have bad experiences with DLI.

I have two racks with 1 smart PDU from DLI on each one. These racks started functioning on 2105.

At some moment on 2019 one fo the PDUs stopped working. I live on Argentina where it is no so easy to import electrical equipment from other countries. I could finally replace it on december 2019 with the following model
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BG2KFEG/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_0araFbYXVS85M
It is exactly the same as the one I removed with exception of the buttons that are thicker now.

Around 4 month later it stopped working.....it is on cotinuous loop of constantly rebooting. I did a factory reset but this did not solve the problem.

1 of the 2 orifinal PDUs is still working with no problems.

So Wattbox and DLI are not reliable....what about pakedge, cyberpower, trip litte?

Thanks!!

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.