C4 Forums | Control4

Outdoor TV

jamesc4

6 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Haven't installed the new Samsungs yet but others on different forums say they are nice and bright, even in direct sun.  Cheaper than the usuals in this space.

Let's be honest - this category was way overdue for a takedown.  Prices have been obscene forever, quality poor, and only partially due to the low volume production.

I have both Sunbrite and Seura. My Sunbrite seems to respond to commands quicker than my Seura, and overall just seems more solid quality. However, I actually ended up with a Seura after I bought a second Sunbrite. The second Sunbrite was the same size and model line as my first, but was the next generation. Everything on it was great like the first and they introduced IP control. Then we get to the audio. Complete garbage. Had to put it on 100% volume to try to hear anything. Sunbrite then provided me a free Sunbrite sound bar to try to remedy the problem. Basically made almost zero difference, so I sent the whole setup back and grabbed the Seura for a try. 

Just installed the Samsung Terrace....
I’ve previously had a SkyVue that I liked a lot before moving to a home that had a Seura Storm already installed.  It was an early model and just finally conked out.  Was looking at all the options and settled on the brand new Samsung Terrace 65” with the soundbar. Install was easy and the technology seems relatively current compared to a lot of outdoor brands that are just now starting to offer true smart outdoor TVs - Samsung has that part down pat.  The 4K quality is excellent and C4 integration was a snap.  Only snag was with the soundbar. I can change the volume in c4 but the mute doesn’t work for some reason.  Could probably run IR to the soundbar for that but mute isn’t super important.

Overall, I can’t believe how bright and crisp the picture is.  With the adaptive picture technology, my 4K AppleTV and my TiVo mini (with decent upscaling) both look great.  Realized tonight that there appears to be a limit on the built-in HDBase port resolution, as it balked at 4K 60hz from the Apple TV.  Once I installed the receiver portion of my HDMI extender and a 4K HDMI cable, I was able to get full resolution no problem and the small HDMI extender box fits in the water resistant media bay on the back of the TV.  It was a little bit of a leap of faith since there wasn’t much info in the tv itself, but I bought the warranty through my dealer and I’m happy so far.

1 minute ago, OceanDad said:

Is it in direct sunlight, or shaded with a gazebo/similar.

It is shaded on a back patio. Exposed to rain a few times so far.  Certain times of the day it does get direct sunlight and is plenty bright.  Listed at 2000+ nits and far brighter that my original skyvue that was in direct sunlight. Way brighter than the seura that was in the same place. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.