C4 Forums | Control4

Mesh Wifi Options

navman

Ruckus doesn't do routers, and only recently after changing hands a couple times, have added network switches.

They are more expensive, and not everyone needs that level. Until a couple years ago with the release of Unleashed, they were two to three times as expensive.
So then dealers have to have two options, and twice the knowledge.
And some will argue that the others have been catching up to them tech wise pretty well.

7 minutes ago, navman said:

Pakedge RK-1 = $750

The  Wave 2 Access Point 4X4 is $740, you can see where the cost adds up on these.

As these are coming reccomended by the dealer and with me having no future headaches this just may make sense.

If your main drive is seemless integration with your C4 system and no headaches, and you dont need to have complete independence from your dealer, and money not a concern, then I would go with Pakedge.  Just open the check book and be done with it :)

5 minutes ago, navman said:

I want to maintain control of my network, My dealer has agreed to handover the network to me after a certain period of stability., does that sound fair?

It's fair but when you start tinkering yourself then every time you have an issue, your dealer at least is going to have to vet your changes.   This is no different with Unifi, but with Unifi, you can do anything via their app and no charge for cloud services.   Check on how Pakedge is set up with remote access and what access you will have (not sure but think its a different business model setup). 

Honestly from your comments, i think a stronger dealer support model like Pakedge might be a good thing for your wish list items.

3 minutes ago, navman said:

Is there a recurring extra charge for Pakedge cloud services?  I was told that it comes with Bakpak (whatever cloud based system that is)

Maybe a dealer will comment.  I’m not 100%.   One other point to mention is the Unifi router is also a camera NVR plus they are just adding a phone service Unifi Talk that has a controller built into the router.  Also a access system and controller is being launched and part of controller.   Not sure if any of those are important to you but thought I would mention.

Backbone (Modem, Router & Switches) versus WAP’s.

If you can’t legitimately support the network yourself, then spend the money and be at the mercy of your dealer. Every dealer has their comfort brand/models. Use the router/switches they can maintain.

WAP’s are simple stuff, I don’t see issues with using whatever you like. Ruckus is my choice for AP’s now. Very Fast & Very Dependable ...and set up by a less experienced user in less than 5 minutes.

[mention]lippavisual [/mention] was my inspiration for Ruckus and I’ve never looked back. My guys are Luxul guys and unless a client insists on another brand, they are now using Ruckus APs on our networks because of my solid experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, navman said:

Is there a recurring extra charge for Pakedge cloud services?  I was told that it comes with Bakpak (whatever cloud based system that is)

Interesting Video on IT business models and reference to Ubiquiti's business model approach.   Not trying to steer you one way or another (recall i said you indeed may want to go Pakedge for your needs) but thought you may find it helpful.

5 hours ago, RAV said:

Ruckus Unleashed 320 - AC wave 2, 2x2:2 300/900 retail for $400, next up $700 then $900 which gets you to 1300 Mbps

r550 WiFI 6, $800

How does the R550 compare to the R750?   Was just checking on Ebay and the R750 goes pretty common for $699 new.   Spec wise looks like a potent AP.   Seems like a high density version of the R550.

On 9/27/2020 at 10:51 AM, mbushardjr said:

Depending on your switch you may be back haul limited with a R750. I don't believe the 2.5GigE port on this model is multi speed like the R850. Enterprise grade 2.5GigE switches are rather expensive.

The R750 appears to have both a 1G and 2.5G ethernet port on the unit.

23 hours ago, ejn1 said:

So as a point of reference,  A Unifi AC2 4x4 Mimo higher speed ratings than above for $180

Not really. The real-life ratings aren't the same, nor is range/coverage.

Oh no doubt it'd be CHEAPER, but the comparison is to 'simple' the way you have it there.

No head-ache = Pakedge

Almost no headache = Araknis

No headache but dealer needs to know what he's doing = Ruckus

Almost no headache, no support = Ubiquity (Well, lots of headache on setup, they're AWFUL to set up compared to others)

16 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Not really. The real-life ratings aren't the same, nor is range/coverage.

Oh no doubt it'd be CHEAPER, but the comparison is to 'simple' the way you have it there.

No head-ache = Pakedge

Almost no headache = Araknis

No headache but dealer needs to know what he's doing = Ruckus

Almost no headache, no support = Ubiquity (Well, lots of headache on setup, they're AWFUL to set up compared to others)

It's a cost trade off as usual...  I accept that the Ruckus might have better performance (I haven't tested personally but trust your view on it) but for most homes aside from massive homes,  4 Ubiquiti WAPs will provide coverage that I doubt anyone would be able to blind test the difference with 4 Ruckus WAPs.   I just can't see how anyone could see the value of spending almost $3k on 4 WAP's in a home with at best a small performance improvement over 4 Unifi WAPs unless maybe you are saying a Ruckus home needs half as many WAPs for similar coverage.   So in my opinion it has to be the dealer support model that separates the value proposition as I agree Unifi tech support is bad (but they do have great communities/forums and documentation). 

It's your opinion of course but I'm lost as to why you think Unifi setup (not Ubiquiti) is a headache.  Setting up a Unifi WAP is dead simple imho and especially simple if the rest of the network backbone is Unifi.    I watched on youtube the Ruckus setup procedure and honestly looks equally easy to me but you've actually gone through the installs so you must have some reason for having the view.   Both look simple if someone has the minimum skills needed to manage their own network.  If they cant do either or find that too difficult, hire a dealer to do it for them would be my recommendation. 

Just now, ejn1 said:

It's a cost trade off as usual...  I except that the Ruckus might have better performance (I haven't tested personally but trust your view on it) but for most homes aside from massive homes,  4 Ubiquiti WAPs will provide coverage that I doubt anyone would be able to blind test the difference with 4 Ruckus WAPs.   I just can't see how anyone could see the value of spending almost $3k on 4 WAP's in a home with at best a small performance improvement over 4 Unifi WAPs unless maybe you are saving a Ruckus home needs half as many WAPs for similar coverage.   So in my opinion it has to be the dealer support model that separates the value proposition as I agree Unifi tech support is bad (but they do have great communities/forums and documentation). 

It's your opinion of course but I'm lost as to why you think Unifi setup (not Ubiquiti) is a headache.  Setting up a Unifi WAP is dead simple imho and especially simple if the rest of the network backbone is Unifi.    I watched on youtube the Ruckus setup procedure and honestly looks equally easy to me but you've actually gone through the installs so you must have some reason for having the view.   Both look simple if someone wants to manage their own network.  If they cant do either or find that too difficult, hire a dealer to do it for them would be my recommendation. 

Most homes are fine with 2 Pakedge/Araknis/Ruckus.

As for setup - I can't COUNT the number of times I've had to manually update firmware on Unifi APs to get them to adopt properly. Changes a 3 minute job into an hour job.

Still cheaper to have 2 Unifi pieces + setup time, just pointing out that it's not as plain-cut as 180 vs 750

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

Most homes are fine with 2 Pakedge/Araknis/Ruckus.

As for setup - I can't COUNT the number of times I've had to manually update firmware on Unifi APs to get them to adopt properly. Changes a 3 minute job into an hour job.

Still cheaper to have 2 Unifi pieces + setup time, just pointing out that it's not as plain-cut as 180 vs 750

Fair enough but those same homes probably ok with 2 Unifi WAPs.   I have had challenges adopting devices that were previously managed by another controller or used and not reset properly.  The reset process for WAPs is a little more than the 5 second hold of the reset button and trips some folks up but if reset properly or brand new then I havent had an issue.   Just have the controller on latest firmware and rest of system up to date and a new WAP has never given me an adoption problem.   Point noted though and agree the comparison is never that simple.

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

Fair enough but those same homes probably ok with 2 Unifi WAPs.   I have had challenges adopting devices that were previously managed by another controller or used and not reset properly.  The reset process for WAPs is a little more than the 5 second hold of the reset button and trips some folks up but if reset properly or brand new then I havent had an issue.   Just have the controller on latest firmware and rest of system up to date and a new WAP has never given me an adoption problem.   Point noted though and agree the comparison is never that simple.

Having UniFi controller on IOS and I do everything you could imagine with it including updating firmware, it’s becoming robust nowadays and doesn’t suffer from the old days issues any more!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.