C4 Forums | Control4

Grouping Lighting Loads

cdepaola

Ok, here is the scenario...

I've got two large chandeliers in a family room that due to the load I had to split into two different dimmers.  To make life easier I set up an Advance Lighting Scene to control both lights with a single dimmer, then programmed the other dimmer to work the fireplace. This scenario has worked well for some time but has had a few little quirks. 

If you adjust the lights on a Navigator it turns on just one of the chandeliers...  To fix this I've been playing with the Domosapiens Advance Lighting Group Driver which allowed me to hide the two actual dimmers and just keep this driver exposed.  Are there other solutions or things I'm not thinking of?  The advance Lighting Group Driver is nice but seems like overkill for just two lights.  There has to be an easier way to deal with this. 

47 minutes ago, C4 User said:

Annoucing our new ADVANCED LIGHTING GROUP driver, now available on DriverCentral at https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/lighting/advanced-lighting-group.

You need this driver from @pbir

Yes... I think I mentioned I'm playing with that specific driver and it works though it causes some odd behavior with the lights or scenes that I didn't see when not using it.  It is very customizable and powerful making it a bit confusing and overkill for two lights. 

Control4 had/has a driver for either older dimmers or older OS that grouped lights, similar to the Domo driver but much simpler. 

I'll stick with the Advanced Light Group driver for now, just was curious if there are other options I'm missing. 

Only 2 options I am aware of are ALS (which you were using) and the new Domosapiens driver which you are playing with.  I have found that the Domosapiens driver allows me to do all sorts of other cool things.  So I was using it for just one thing at first amd now have 5 or 6 instances (a few weeks on). So I’d second the recommendation to go for this - even if it is overkill at first.

? There are switch group and dimmer group drivers in the standard C4 database.

No knock on the Domo driver at all with it's other great features, but if all you're doing is combine two standard dimmers that are supposed to always be one in a scenario you're describing.......

The standard C4 driver will keep the loads in sync, hide the two actual dimmers, show a single light as if indeed there is jsut one chandelier, and even warn you if you're accidetnally adding one of the real dimmers to a lighting scene along with the group....

Oh and C4's, while limited in numerous other ways, actually allows press and hold dimming from buttons (or either one of the two actual dimmers) in full 100 steps.

Again, I rather like all the OTHER features in the mentioned driver from Domosapiens, and especially it's ability to mix and match loads, agents etc etc etc, but it sounds like the default C4 driver is MORE appropriate in the OP case....

• 3 years later...

I'm bumping this thread to say thanks. The Dimmer Load Group driver is exactly what I needed to solve a very simple problem.

One issue I found with the Dimmer Load Group driver is that it is not compatible with Cold Start. When switching a dimmer on, all of the dimmers will get "stuck" at the cold start value if it is not set to zero. A second press is required to get the dimmer to the default on value for the dimmer.

3 hours ago, WhyPhy said:

I'm bumping this thread to say thanks. The Dimmer Load Group driver is exactly what I needed to solve a very simple problem.

One issue I found with the Dimmer Load Group driver is that it is not compatible with Cold Start. When switching a dimmer on, all of the dimmers will get "stuck" at the cold start value if it is not set to zero. A second press is required to get the dimmer to the default on value for the dimmer.

also, check out the group light driver from @alanchow. It's awesome and will group switches, RGB, TW, and dimmable lights all as one light and figure out what each light gets and how it is affected.

we also did a video on programing it and how to use it.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/chowmain-soft-83798711?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=postshare_creator&utm_content=join_link

2 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

also, check out the group light driver from @alanchow. It's awesome and will group switches, RGB, TW, and dimmable lights all as one light and figure out what each light gets and how it is affected.

we also did a video on programing it and how to use it.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/chowmain-soft-83798711?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=postshare_creator&utm_content=join_link

Also, not sure if the situation changed, but at least in 3.3.0, if you put colorwheel lights in a dimmer group, it disabled the colorwheel. Chowmain light group was actually needed to be able to continue using the colorwheel.

We also have a updated beta available to installers with full presets support including dim to warm (which generally works even if the target driver doesn't support presets)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.