C4 Forums | Control4

Sony XBR TV - Bringing Down Network

jamesc4

Hello

Having a weird issue 

wondering what you guys think

C4 project with a Sony XBR IP Control TV working fine for 3 years

lately having issue with network going down ,  if we unplug the Sony TV from the Lan things start coming up 

TV is not on WiFi 

I had the exact same problem at our beach house.  We have two XBR 950G's with IP control.  Our dealer worked for a whole day troubleshooting and what ended up solving it was a factory reset and re setup of both TV's.  Been working fine since.  Hope that helps.

• 2 months later...

What's your network - are there VLANS, what router/switch equipement?

Could be a number of reasons to see what you're seeing, unfortunately most of them aren't easy to determine.

It's entirely possible it isn't the TV as such, but something triggered by the TV that's the issue (broadcast storm, cross-vlan block, driver in C4)

That said the obve three posts more or less give you some initial things to do.

In order I would:

-Ensure TV software, both TV AND android software are up to date (these are NOT one and the same on Sony TVs - make sure you've set up a google account on the TV to ensure both get updated, and of course that apps are all up to date (open each app installed to check, actually remove those you don't use). Also ensure the system is using the latest driver version.

-Turn off local IPV6

-Reset the TVs and redo setup

I've seen this on multiple sites and like Wicked Ways said it's an IPV6 issue.  I also talked to a Sony tech guy and he said they test wireless connectivity in their TVs much more extensively than the wired connections so he recommended I switch to wireless.  I've done that on 3 sights that had that issue and haven't had a problem since.  **Switching to wireless obviously opens up other issues so make sure your wireless network is solid and I would probably isolate the TV to only connect to one access point**

3 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Maybe Sony TVs should be placed on a C4 “Not Supported” list given these networking quirks?

I've only had issues on I think one TV out of dozens myself, I'd say that'd be one heck of an over-reaction.

As so often, this is more a networking issue than a TV issue.

If you're networking is fully set to use IPV6, this isn't an issue, it only shows when the Sony TVs are trying to use IPV6 and the network doesn't support it properly.

47 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I've only had issues on I think one TV out of dozens myself, I'd say that'd be one heck of an over-reaction.

As so often, this is more a networking issue than a TV issue.

If you're networking is fully set to use IPV6, this isn't an issue, it only shows when the Sony TVs are trying to use IPV6 and the network doesn't support it properly.

Just an attempt at diffused wit :)

• 11 months later...

Having the same issue. I have 4 Sony's on a large install. All ethernet connected and added by sddp to my project. All working fine until it's not. Changed to static IP's on the Sony's seemed to fix the issue for a moment. 

Here is the network..isp modem/router to network switch. 3 ap's ( large house) and multiple AVR's, Roku's etc as well as the 4 Sony's all connected via ethernet. 

As I am just seeing this thread I am curious if to turning off the IPV6 is truly a solution?

Thanks

There are more cures for this than having the hiccups.

Reserve the IP
Static the IP
Turn off IP6
Turn on Simple in the TV, Web in Composer
ID by SDDP
ID by SDDP, then change to the reserve/static IP
Turn off auto date and time
Change the TV name to something simple with all lowercase no special characters
Use WiFi

Anybody know what incense to burn?
How far Sony fell, IP was perfect for years. Well, there's always next model year.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:01 AM, RAV said:

There are more cures for this than having the hiccups.

Reserve the IP
Static the IP
Turn off IP6
Turn on Simple in the TV, Web in Composer
ID by SDDP
ID by SDDP, then change to the reserve/static IP
Turn off auto date and time
Change the TV name to something simple with all lowercase no special characters
Use WiFi

Anybody know what incense to burn?
How far Sony fell, IP was perfect for years. Well, there's always next model year.

You forgot the nuclear solution: switch them all to IR control!  😀

I did end up switching all our Sony TVs to IR after intermittent hassles with IP control.  I wish I had done it sooner, as I don't think I ever leveraged IP control for anything useful, and IR is headache-free.

12 hours ago, DLite said:

That is the correct fix (or serial).

Some can not do so easily, and the threads and options seem endless.
Currently turning auto Date and Time off is winning. Which points to a security certificate issue perhaps, or failure to 'check in' line bug, or DNS issue.
Or somebody saved 2 cents on a chip, or previous generation NIC parts weren't available.

20 hours ago, DLite said:

I did end up switching all our Sony TVs to IR after intermittent hassles with IP control.  I wish I had done it sooner, as I don't think I ever leveraged IP control for anything useful, and IR is headache-free.

We had a lot of these same issues where C4 could not control the Sony Tvs and in some cases it was intermittent. We even moved to IR control as well which only solved some of the problem which was C4 controlling the TV. We isolated the issue to the TVs as even on standalone TV it would not be able to connect to the internet despite being on a network (either LAN or WIFI). We tried connecting it to a mobile network WIFI and that also said cannot connect to the internet, despite LGs in the house not having that issue. Sony had indicated there were some network issues with some of their TVs and replaced ours at no cost. Since the replacement, we are back on IP control and no issues to date. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.