C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless printer connection to Control4 network

stevendale1

For no known reason, my HP wireless printer lost connection to my Control4 network.  Networks, both 5.0 and 2.4 show up on the printer screen as seen.  However, they do not show the padlock as secured and will not connect because they do not give an opportunity to input the network password.  Printer wireless does work.  I set up iPhone as a hot spot and printer connected - required hot spot password.  Why would Control4 networks not give opportunity to enter password to connect?

I have AT&T internet service and router.  Control4 installer installed an Araknis router and and two Araknis wireless access points.  For most activity, we use the networks set up on the Araknis equipment. These are not allowing re-connection of the wireless printer because of no opportunity to input the password.  Printer will connect to AT&T router with password, but signal is very week compared to Araknis network used for Control4.

Most att wond do full bridge mode. Best you can probably do is dmz the araknis which doesn't disable att wifi. I don't mind leaving them running for emergency but always rename then to att modem as said for easy redundancy when there is trouble and troubleshooting if 1 works but other is down. Proper explanation to the client is key if you do it that way and have documentation especially when a modem won't bridge

29 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

Most att wond do full bridge mode. Best you can probably do is dmz the araknis which doesn't disable att wifi. I don't mind leaving them running for emergency but always rename then to att modem as said for easy redundancy when there is trouble and troubleshooting if 1 works but other is down. Proper explanation to the client is key if you do it that way and have documentation especially when a modem won't bridge

why leave the att wifi active?   Will only create interference imho.   You can alway just plug a laptop into the ATT router to troubleshoot but this should be a rare need.

Do you have multiple wireless access points?

HP printers absolutely hate seeing more than one source of an SSID. In a multi-AP Wi-Fi environment I often setup a hidden printer only SSID and configure it to be broadcast by only the AP closest to the printer, fixes these issues with HP printers every time.

I've not had too many (recent) issues with multiple SSIDs as such - but HP (and most others) printers CANNOT handle 'fast-roaming' (also called Fass (BSS) Transition or officially IEEE 802.11r) which you find on many modern access points.

This can cause issues even with a separate SSID depending on the AP (ie is the fast roaming option global or per SSID).

19 hours ago, Crustyloafer said:

My suggestion of a single printer only SSID broadcast from a single AP is no doubt also avoiding the issue with the fast roaming incompatibility, as the device cannot roam if there is only one source of the SSID it connects to.

I was at a client in December who got an extra ubiquiti APthemselves to do the same thing, turned fast roaming on and it still wouldn't connect until it got shut off.

'Just having a single AP' for whatever reason still can give some grief - main point to 'the public' being to ensure that you have fast roaming shut down on any wifi that includes printers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.