C4 Forums | Control4

How many screens do you have and why?

19 minutes ago, Amr said:

Screens are a must for Intercom, that is the main use case, I have 2 portables (Family room & Kitchen) and 2 fixed now (Master & Office) and will add 2 more (Gym and 2nd Floor), I used to have one in every room ended up with 15 around the house, moving to 3.2.2 it’s impossible and ridiculous to replicate that.

How come is it impossible? Because of cost  or infrastructure?

4 hours ago, SeeFour4ever said:

Surprised that very few people have said they would cut down on the number of screens. I personally thought that over time they will get used less and less. 

Why? Really why would I use them less?

I mean, I get the argument you made, but you;ve seen numerous counter arguments on why native screens do have an advantage.

While I understand the pain of having to replace screens when system updates force you too - generally people seem to focus a LOT on that, whereas nobody seems to complain about having to get a new android/apple tablet or phone to get the latest updates, and at the end of it all, while a c4 screen is more expensive, you tend to replace it at least half as often or less than 'general' tablets.

2 minutes ago, lebron2k21 said:

Would you have all 10s if you got chance to change?

In my specific scenario, no. I might change one or two to 10", but not all of them. Sometimes aesthetics call for a smaller size screen (if not actual physical space requirements)

I have 15, which I admit is overkill, but being an employee does have it's perks.

:)

I only have one 10", in the kitchen / family room common area.  I wouldn't upgrade the room touchpanels to 10".

I think if Control4 offered an 8", I'd probably go for that over a 7", but 10" is overkill, IMHO it's just too big for a bedroom / bathroom.

RyanE

15 minutes ago, RyanE said:

I have 15, which I admit is overkill, but being an employee does have it's perks.

I only have one 10", in the kitchen / family room common area.  I wouldn't upgrade the room touchpanels to 10".

I think if Control4 offered an 8", I'd probably go for that over a 7", but 10" is overkill, IMHO it's just too big for a bedroom / bathroom.

RyanE

Which they do now with 8inch T4s

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

Depends on the size of the bedroom…

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Why? Really why would I use them less?

I mean, I get the argument you made, but you;ve seen numerous counter arguments on why native screens do have an advantage.

While I understand the pain of having to replace screens when system updates force you too - generally people seem to focus a LOT on that, whereas nobody seems to complain about having to get a new android/apple tablet or phone to get the latest updates, and at the end of it all, while a c4 screen is more expensive, you tend to replace it at least half as often or less than 'general' tablets.

I am thinking in terms of advancement in other technology such as smartphones and voice activated services.

If someone rings the door station and your sitting on the couch with your phone nearby, would you really get up to the living room screen to talk/unlock or just do it from the phone? So in that aspect already your dependency on the touchscreens are reduced. Same with a NEEO remote. 

3 minutes ago, lebron2k21 said:

I am thinking in terms of advancement in other technology such as smartphones and voice activated services.

If someone rings the door station and your sitting on the couch with your phone nearby, would you really get up to the living room screen to talk/unlock or just do it from the phone? So in that aspect already your dependency on the touchscreens are reduced. Same with a NEEO remote. 

Its really customizing for the client's need.

Take my parents (not really target c4 audience but...) when they get home my dad puts his cell phone on the kitchen table and my mom's is always in her purse.  Why do I bring this up?  If I talked to them as potential c4 customers and knew the habits of their cell phone use I'd suggest more touch screens around the house.  

Some people by default always have their cell phone in their pocket (me), other's wouldn't have a clue where it is in their house (my wife) or like my parents they know where there phone is, always in the same spot.

Is the house 2600 sq ft or 4800 sq ft?  Ranch or 3 stories?  Do you have a dedicated "wing" where you remotely work 8 hours a day?  I mean these are all rhetorical questions but those go into designing the system for the customer.  Its not really 1 size fits all - here is the formula, this is how many screens you need.

Also not sure incoming Door Station calls can go to the Neeo but I could be wrong.

In my opinion, if you are using the C4 door station with a fairly large footprint for a house the "need" or the value add to having C4 Touch Screens increase greatly.  Without the door station or say a smaller house the returns diminish and 1 or 2 in a key heavily used area is just a nice to have.  

They are expensive - but as Cy mentioned upstream, in the past touchscreens were supported for like 8-10 years which is just about 2x as long as say Apple will support an iPad with the latest OS, security updates, etc.  So its 2x the cost, has less "total" functionality but fits a specific niche and should last you 2x as long as a consumer tablet.

6 hours ago, SeeFour4ever said:

Surprised that very few people have said they would cut down on the number of screens. I personally thought that over time they will get used less and less. 

I'm guessing users on this site are the type that probably researched where they thought they would most likely use them and narrowed it down to key locations. I'm sure there are plenty of users out there who have the kind of money where it didnt matter and they just went along with whatever the dealer said and they have touchscreens everywhere and hardly use some of them. I also think that since tablets and smartphones have been available to use the dealers probably havent pushed them as much especially on projects where they need to get the bid down. Easy place to cut. So you have probably seen less installed than 10-15 years ago in the Crestron days where there wasnt another option.

6 hours ago, SeeFour4ever said:

My take is once you've used one, there's no going back, you see the value.
So there's going to be few if any with a negative point of view.

There really are only 3 negatives.
1. my phones in my pocket - the retort - your phone your pocket, what about guests, kids, does all the family live that way
2. money - which is a negative to everything, and to each justify their own
3. wall cosmetics - well, maybe, but since it can replace a whole bunch of other wall clutter (alarm, tstat, switches, pool, etc), it's a poor argument.

9 I think, not counting a spare

Wall 10”s T3s

- Kitchen, Foyer, Master

Portable 7”

- Office, Guest room,

- Lounge, Game Room, Bar, Theater

Portable 8” T4

- Living Room (by far the most used)

I also have an iPad mount in the theater that I regret.  If it didn’t involve wall repair, I’d remove it.

I’d like to replace the wall units with T4s and maybe one or two portables, but have a hard time justifying the cost given their relative usage.  As my voice automation gets better the screens aren’t as important.  If camera feeds would pop in faster I might reconsider but even on my T4 it’s still not fast enough (and my controller is a CA-10).

6 hours ago, lebron2k21 said:

-1 You assume my phone is nearby. It isn't, it never is. My portable TS is always right there next to me though

-2 Voice control has not passed the phase of 'cute' yet. MAYBE josh. MAYBE. But even that to me is still not there.

12 hours ago, Amr said:

Cost

I found a compromise! Nothing is close to a T3’s experience, I had a huge upgrade experience when moved to 3.2.2, TS where slow, The 10” is huge, 7” in-wall is the right size for me, even ergonomically, I got a 10” table top in the Living and it’s big. For Kids rooms and rarely used areas I moved to Android 6” Tablets.

1 hour ago, Amr said:

I found a compromise! Nothing is close to a T3’s experience, I had a huge upgrade experience when moved to 3.2.2, TS where slow, The 10” is huge, 7” in-wall is the right size for me, even ergonomically, I got a 10” table top in the Living and it’s big. For Kids rooms and rarely used areas I moved to Android 6” Tablets.

Are the Android tablets wallmounted?  If so, which model and mount did you use?

I have a total of 4 T3 10" screens.  Three are walls and one is TT.  Here they are in order of most used to least used.

1.) Back Entry is used the most.  I've replaced all my security panels and only have T3 screens now. It shows my garage door status and temp and allows us to arm and disarm.  Pops up a live feed of the driveway if anyone pulls in. It beeps just like a normal security keypad when any external door is open.  In the winter I use it to control the heat in the garage as the thermostat would require me to go into the garage to change it. 

2.) Kitchen TT.  Mainly used for music and joining the kitchen zone to the living room tv. Also pops up the driveway camera when someone arrives. Beeps when an external door is open. Used for intercom when someone is at the front door (Chime)

3.) Master Bedroom. Used to set security at night and sometimes intercom.

4.) Basement T3.  I have this at the bottom of the stairs and I'm not sure why I mainly use it as an expensive clock.  Its right when you come downstairs so I mainly fire up the theatre or set some music when I go downstairs.  This could easily be replaced by a KD or something similar.   It chimes on opening of external door and will ring if someone hits the doorbell. 

3 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

Are the Android tablets wallmounted?  If so, which model and mount did you use?

The only tables that are wall mounted in the market are industrial ones, cost similar to a used T3 so it did mater that much not to mention the sub experience with tablet, Intercom not as smooth and as fast 😉

2 hours ago, therockhr said:

Off topic but is there any way to use existing wiring if I wanted to replace a Honeywell security keypad with a touchscreen?

It depends on the driver, if it will expose the hardware keypad with a software one and I believe it will be an extension, a hardware one has to exist then you can get the C4 version on the screen

1 minute ago, Amr said:

It depends on the driver, if it will expose the hardware keypad with a software one and I believe it will be an extension, a hardware one has to exist then you can get the C4 version on the screen

No thats not what I am asking. The security panel is already hooked into the Control4 system (Vista panel via CBM). Works great. I can arm and disarm from Control4 using the app. What I am wondering is could I get rid of an existing security keypad but reuse the 4 wires somehow to power a Control4 touchscreen.

8 minutes ago, therockhr said:

No thats not what I am asking. The security panel is already hooked into the Control4 system (Vista panel via CBM). Works great. I can arm and disarm from Control4 using the app. What I am wondering is could I get rid of an existing security keypad but reuse the 4 wires somehow to power a Control4 touchscreen.

What these wire carry, if you can disconnect them and attach them to 5v 2.2amp adapter u can from the keypad side use a USB cable end to power the T3, assuming this is what you are looking for?

8 minutes ago, Amr said:

What these wire carry, if you can disconnect them and attach them to 5v 2.2amp adapter u can from the keypad side use a USB cable end to power the T3, assuming this is what you are looking for?

4 wires I think. Can you do POE with 4 wires? What power options do the touchscreens have?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.