C4 Forums | Control4

Best rail mount sensors for garage doors? and Z2IO question

jfh

I want to add hard wired contact sensors to my garage doors, one for fully open and one for fully closed.  What do people recommend for rail mounted sensors?

Will either connect to Z2IO or EA5 depending on how hard it is to get another cable down to the rack room.

Also - thoughts on how a Z2IO installed in the garage holds up to Colorado heat?

(I’m currently using NYCE Tilt sensors which work great but want to replace so I don’t have to worry about batteries)

• jfh changed the title to Best rail mount sensors for garage doors? and Z2IO question

5 hours ago, msgreenf said:

2 Pack Overhead Door Floor Garage Shutter Contact Sensor Security Alarm Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KBJASJM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_TDZ5V9TKH147M3R2XQXC

Those are floor mounts.

Honestly, railmounts are more or less a dime a dozen - just make sure they're made for the width of the rails oyu have.

Explain your desire for fully open - as it will determine how the setup will be (ie one magnet two sensors or two magnets one sensor)

9 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I’ve got a Z2IO installed in each of my garages in Durban (South Africa).  Hot and, more importantly humid! No issues so far - 3 years….

At the other end of the temperature scale I am in Toronto.  I have had C4 dimmers, keypads and controllers in an unheated pool cabana for ~14 years without issues.  Toronto is fairly mild for Canada but most winters we will get down to -15C and perhaps as low as -20C for a bit.  And in the summer it gets above 30C, with high humidity.

6 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Explain your desire for fully open - as it will determine how the setup will be (ie one magnet two sensors or two magnets one sensor)

Can't tell why original posted wanted fully open, but I like it because with the new Garage Door driver, the driver can fire an event if the door doesn't open or close within a specified time, and also shows the 'partial' state, so you know more accurately the state of the door.

With just a single closed sensor, you can toggle for open, and toggle it again (to stop), it will show 'fully open', even though it's not.

RyanE

9 hours ago, RyanE said:

Can't tell why original posted wanted fully open, but I like it because with the new Garage Door driver, the driver can fire an event if the door doesn't open or close within a specified time, and also shows the 'partial' state, so you know more accurately the state of the door.

With just a single closed sensor, you can toggle for open, and toggle it again (to stop), it will show 'fully open', even though it's not.

RyanE

2 sensors and 2 magnets usually in case of a theft we have seen garage doors be cut open from the bottom. I think I actually learned that from a Control4 education a long long time ago. 

20 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Those are floor mounts.

Honestly, railmounts are more or less a dime a dozen - just make sure they're made for the width of the rails oyu have.

Nothing says you have to mount these to the floor.  I actually mount them above the garage door and put the magnet on the top of the door.  Works really well.

As @RyanE stated I like having two sensors.  One that monitors if the door is open/close and one that tells you if its opening or closing. 

Since I have honeywell security I use their tilt sensors.  With most honeywell wireless security sensors it usually has multiple sensors built into one (called loops).  In the tilt sensor you also get a contact sensor.  I use the contact sensor in the tilt sensor to tell me if the door is in between opening or closing. 

4 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

2 sensors and 2 magnets usually in case of a theft we have seen garage doors be cut open from the bottom. I think I actually learned that from a Control4 education a long long time ago. 

Where do you live that you've seen this?  Considerably easier and less obvious ways to break into a garage then cut a panel of the garage door...

I use Z2IO with two rail sensors and one door magnet. I only have one large garage door. Live in Wisconsin, so air temps outside of -20F to 105F. Garage temps range from 20F to 65F in winter depending if heat is on in garage. Summer gets upwards of about 85 in garage. Humidity as low as 20% in Winter as high as 80% in summer in side the garage. No issues thus far for the past year. They've been installed. 

I use the following set, but only one door magnet that aligns with the rail sensor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KYGJT4W

Two tips: 

1. If using Z2IO to also send the pulse signals with an opener that supports the 'shorting' method, be sure to set the pulse around 1500ms or so---too little and your garage door can get into an endless loop of opening and closing (I may or may not be speaking from experience)
  2. Be aware that when your controller resets, your Z2IO will also show state changes.

15 hours ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

Oh I understand the possible reasons, I was literally asking OPs reason.

2 hours ago, DanITman said:

Nothing says you have to mount these to the floor.  I actually mount them above the garage door and put the magnet on the top of the door.  Works really well.

But OP was literally asking for rail mounts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.