C4 Forums | Control4

Audio for Pool

navman

I am planning for audio for my pool and outdoor patio which consists of a 75in Samsung full sun TV.

My C4 dealer recommended the Sonance Landscape series 8.2 system to provide the audio to my tv and for playing audio.

How does this compare for value with other Sonance options and other vendor offerings.

Dealer also recommended another EA1, Apple TV and Neo remote, was hoping that C4 had a waterproof remote if I were to go this more pricier route.

For my pool area I use 4 8” Snap A/C speakers powered by my distributed audio system (Control4 and triad amps/matrix) that are installed in the covered patio roof. Then over by the pool bath and equipment room I have an outdoor Snap A/V wall Mount speaker powered by a Triad One. 

I’ve got a fairly large space (22’ x 50’ pool and 3,200 square feet of pool decking) and this works incredibly well. It allows me to have the volume levels at a point where you can hear it pretty much everywhere but don’t feel like it’s blasting crazy loud anywhere. The system he’s describing sounds like overkill. 

Oh, and for video I use a high lumen, short throw projector that rocks. It needs to close to sunset or overcast before we can really use the video part though. 

Unless you have money to burn, I would get a "value" set of speakers for outdoors (unless you live in the Desert where humidity, salt air, or rain is not a problem).  Sonnance is definitely NOT a value brand - that is high end gear.  In my opinion and experience, even speakers that are labeled as "environmental" or "salt mist tested" will over time exposed to the elements corrode, rust, and/or fail.  Sound quality is difficult to control outdoors as well.  Better to have to replace something somewhat cheaper that works (note that I am not suggesting Walmart speakers here, just not high end like Sonnance) and have to replace them at a lower cost down the line than sinking tons of money into high end outdoor stuff that will also over time fail.

48 minutes ago, Topfox said:

I have the triad garden array with 8 speakers and an inground sub around my 20x40 pool and 2800sqft patio. Absolutely love it. Get tons of compliments. Speakers are powered by a Crown amp. 

What is the cost for this set-up?

outdoor speakers just like any speaker really depends on what you want your listening experience to be, cheap is cheap and will not last. sonance, triad episode are pretty good, i wouldnt go with 4" speakers i would stay with 6" or 8". i would also plan out your area with zones so you can have adjustable volumes for the areas outdoor. for me i have 4 sets of speakers in my yard. patio has a pair, pool has 3 pairs, grill has a pair and my yard has a pair. when entertaining the patio will always be backround music, keeps the wife happy, the grill area is a bit louder as i enjoy louder music, pool is gonna be louder as well and yard can be a bit louder too. i have all episode 6" running off episode rsp amp. now if i had the money i would do some coastal speakers as they sound phenomenal, just out of my budget for my setup. planning is key as well as speaker and amp selection 

2 hours ago, tekki70 said:

outdoor speakers just like any speaker really depends on what you want your listening experience to be, cheap is cheap and will not last. sonance, triad episode are pretty good, i wouldnt go with 4" speakers i would stay with 6" or 8". i would also plan out your area with zones so you can have adjustable volumes for the areas outdoor. for me i have 4 sets of speakers in my yard. patio has a pair, pool has 3 pairs, grill has a pair and my yard has a pair. when entertaining the patio will always be backround music, keeps the wife happy, the grill area is a bit louder as i enjoy louder music, pool is gonna be louder as well and yard can be a bit louder too. i have all episode 6" running off episode rsp amp. now if i had the money i would do some coastal speakers as they sound phenomenal, just out of my budget for my setup. planning is key as well as speaker and amp selection 

Most garden systems are well distributed 4" drivers with 2+ subwoofers. Similar to a more modern indoor distribution with 4" apertures and in-ceiling sub. 6" drivers and even 8" drivers on outdoor speakers are not designed for low frequency. I would say the next step above the Sonance, Triad options would be bollard speakers from Revel or Origin.  Costal Source make top notch outdoor loudspeakers but it's not a great pool/large spread option. 

18 hours ago, navman said:

A big factor for me is having my outdoor TV audio distributed all over the pool area as opposed to just using a soundbar

feed the audio from your sources or you tv back to the matrix and you will be able to

21 hours ago, navman said:

A big factor for me is having my outdoor TV audio distributed all over the pool area as opposed to just using a soundbar

Yep I do this as well. Only problem I have with doing this in my setup is source volume. Meaning when I put the source on Cable box, I have to turn the volume way up. When I have it on Pandora or Shairbridge, I don’t have to turn it up as loud. It will work, but for my setup I just have to remember if I switch from video audio to audio source off my EA, to turn the volume down first or the EA audio source will be super loud. 

James Loudspeakers 12" Omni Series or Outdoor Towers these things are absolute tanks and sound amazing.  Made of heavy gauge aircraft aluminum that gets powder coated. 

Coastal Source also makes some amazing speakers that I've see cover acres of property. Their new Line Source Bollards are simply amazing but price point is not for the faint of heart. 

Electro-Voice Evid series are also fantastic and one of the most used speakers in the commercial market. 

We install a fair amount of the James Omni Series there's just nothing else built like them  

I have a set of POLK atrium outdoor speakers, four of them around the pool and yard, and then two patio speakers, all distributed audio run by the snap amps that do the rest of the house.  the outdoor is an independent zone, but having multiple speakers allows for decent listening at neighbor friendly volumes everywhere in the yard (small yard 100x40).

I agree that unless you are really looking to get high quality audio and spend money, you are better off using lower price speakers.  learned this the hard way, spent a fortune on the 'rock' speakers when I first did the yard but had them fail after a few years. AZ is harsh on anything outdoors.  The when they gave up, I got the polk outdoor speakers.  1/3 the price, had my landscape guy build some small waist high block structures for them then painted the whole thing to match the fence.  

If I ever have to replace them, it is just two hand screws and some wire twists.  Highly recommend checking them out.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.