C4 Forums | Control4

C4 EA5 controller upgrade to Core 5

MigSta

24 minutes ago, turls said:

Dealer talked me into CA10 and two Core5.  I hope this is my last upgrade for a long, long time.  He had a good point about how long my IOX are in the tooth and really how much longer will they be supported (or with their age, give me issues).

I suspect that you will really enjoy the improvement!  Only thing I’d add (disagree with) is that I wouldn’t worry about your IOX they tend to last forever… I have 7 or 8 across 2 residences and nothing has died on any of them even though some are poorly located and experience extreme weather conditions.

31 minutes ago, turls said:

Dealer talked me into CA10 and two Core5.  I hope this is my last upgrade for a long, long time.  He had a good point about how long my IOX are in the tooth and really how much longer will they be supported (or with their age, give me issues).

Control4 also made 2.9.1 there last os update. I can't predict the future but should be no reason to remove the iox from control4.

On 12/15/2023 at 2:55 PM, Matt Lowe said:

Control4 also made 2.9.1 there last os update. I can't predict the future but should be no reason to remove the iox from control4.

Yes, I will keep them as long as I can.  I do remember having issues with upgrades with one of my IOX numerous times in the 2.x era, so I don't have that issue any more at least.  So they are generally solid.

The lack of updated software on them is more a statement of how solid they are than anything else (note that there have been a few minor updates, but they're all still marked under the 2.9.1.xxxxxxx minor revisions).

The i/o extender is such a 'dumb' device that it really doesn't need to get updated to a matching version number for new features in audio streaming, zigbee, interface, streaming and so on and so forth....so they simply stopped constantly updating them as nothing oter than the software version number was getting changed. Think of it this way, if they DID update it only to match the software number every time, that would simply be a waste of time to create - and more importantly test - that software update.

Not only that, but Control4 still supports the even older Contact/Relay extenders, which although they don't run a full Linux release, continue to work just fine.

They're as old as (or even older than) the Gen 1 controllers.

Control4 has a pretty good track record for not abandoning things that can continue to be supported (in-wall lighting, non-controller rack mounted gear).

RyanE

On 12/11/2023 at 10:55 AM, C4 User said:

Just ordered the CA-10 and a Core5. Hope to see improved user experience regarding speed and 4k. Will keep the EA-5 and EA-3 for guest room OSD’s and Zigbee.

It’s only been a week, but so far I have to say that I now regret not upgrading to the CA-10 and Core5 when they first came out. Touchscreens, iPhone and iPad apps, cameras, commands are all almost instant. Being a long time user, I think the move from the HC1000 to the HC800 to the EA5 blinded my expectations because each move was a noticeable improvement. But now I’m getting instant reactions. Love it!

5 hours ago, C4 User said:

It’s only been a week, but so far I have to say that I now regret not upgrading to the CA-10 and Core5 when they first came out. Touchscreens, iPhone and iPad apps, cameras, commands are all almost instant. Being a long time user, I think the move from the HC1000 to the HC800 to the EA5 blinded my expectations because each move was a noticeable improvement. But now I’m getting instant reactions. Love it!

Y the CA10 is speedy! Instant response. 

4 hours ago, cnicholson said:

I agree with everything you said but, sadly, in a couple of weeks it will just seem "normal."   😉 

This plus you will become tempted to make your project bigger and better and at some stage things slow down again and you want even more power (I am, sadly, at that stage). Maybe T5s and a CA11 would make me really happy in 2024 😂

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.