C4 Forums | Control4

C4 EA5 controller upgrade to Core 5

MigSta

Is it worth upgrading C4 EA5 to the Core 5.  I have a large C4 project with lighting and automation throughout the entire household.  I'm looking to slowly migrate to the new hardware (eventually also replacing the EA1's with the Core 1's) in the event C4 does OS4 and we cannot upgrade because of hardware restrictions eventually.  Also, I assume the Core 5 is their flagship model in the Core series?  I've heard that there have been numerous hardware failures with the Core 1 units which makes me reluctant since they will eventually change them to Core X (Rev 1 for example).

Isn't CA10 an older controller generation?  How and why would I keep my EA5 in service?  Right now, it's the main controller running a C4 Video Matrix 1080p, 6 areas with C4 EA1's behind TV's for IR and HDMI baluns via C4 Video Matrix, C4 8x AMP and two C4 I/O Extenders.  At most, I'd be able use my EA5 for additional I/O (not needed now) and maybe to run the Zigbee?  I don't program my system unfortunately but I somewhat understand the setup.  It's also controlling lighting throughout the entire household using C4 switches throughout the house (i.e. not where you run all of the lighting to a central location - forget what that's called).  It's a very large project - but I find the most usage to be just for lighting and IR control of the various TV zones and devices connected to the TV's - all of the wiring is run to a central location where the TV receivers and streaming devices are connected.

46 minutes ago, MigSta said:

How and why would I keep my EA5 in service? 

I have an EA-5 and a Core 5 and recently added a CA-10.  I have more than 1000 drivers, 20+ TVs, 50+ audio zones, etc.    The point is that a CA-10 has MUCH more memory and processing power than a Core5, but Core5 doesn't have much more I/O capacity than an EA-5.  So (CA-10 + EA 5) is better than Core 5 in all use cases that I can imagine.  Make sense?

A CA-10 would just be the "brain" and your EA-5 is an I/O and A/V "slave" and its CPU will be idling most of the time.   

I guess a question is: why do you think you need to upgrade at all?  I'll bet CA-10 would get you more of a boost.

Control4 does not EOL / discontinue support for controllers very quickly, and as others have said, it makes more sense to go to a CA-10 for the large project, and keep the EA-5 for I/O and Audio.

Sure, the Core 5 is newer and 'top of line', but you don't need the newest controller for a secondary controller, and the CA-10 is the best primary controller for large projects, much better at running the project itself than any of the Core controllers.

RyanE

Thanks ALL.  I think I will just stand pact for now and see how the dust settles on the CoreX controllers in the next year or so.  

As an aside, is upgrading my C4 system possible on my own without the help of my dealer.  I like to keep my system up to date but I'm not sure I can update it on my own.  I really wish C4 would make that an option for users but I guess sometimes stuff breaks and then we could be in trouble.

3 hours ago, MigSta said:

Thanks ALL.  I think I will just stand pact for now and see how the dust settles on the CoreX controllers in the next year or so.  

As an aside, is upgrading my C4 system possible on my own without the help of my dealer.  I like to keep my system up to date but I'm not sure I can update it on my own.  I really wish C4 would make that an option for users but I guess sometimes stuff breaks and then we could be in trouble.

If your current dealer does not offer a reasonable maintenance plan to keep your system up to date, I suggest you reach out to some of the remote dealers on the forum for some type of a maintenance plan. 

3 hours ago, MigSta said:

Thanks ALL.  I think I will just stand pact for now and see how the dust settles on the CoreX controllers in the next year or so

I appreciate this.   I'm the kind of guy who, if I am going to buy a new computer/phone/car, I want to buy a JUST RELEASED model-- feels like I'll get more years of use versus buying something that might be about to be replaced.   I was worried that CA-10 (being a few years old now) might soon get replaced.  And it might.  But the Core5-->CA-10 swap was a BIG BIG improvement.  Going from EA-5 to CA-10 would be even more dramatic.   So if you feel like you're suffering now, I'd encourage you to upgrade.   

That said, as I asked above: why do you think you need to upgrade?   Sounds like not a pressing issue if you are happy to wait, which is great.

1 hour ago, Viperman said:

Where would you see the speed increase with the CA-10?  I have an EA5 and a CA1 as I have about 110 devices on my zigbee network.  

Yes you will see the difference especially with lighting scenes.  Had a client with lots of lighting and his complaint was the delay.  Installed an CA-10 and he noticed the difference.  

4 hours ago, Viperman said:

Where would you see the speed increase with the CA-10?  I have an EA5 and a CA1 as I have about 110 devices on my zigbee network.  

There is no comparison between an EA5 and a CA10.  Everything is much faster on the CA10.  I very much doubt your project really needs it but if you add it, I have no doubt you will see the difference. 

Note: I had around 1,000 devices / drivers when I did the upgrade and now with over 2,000, I am feeling like I need something faster 🙈

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/3/2023 at 2:40 PM, Andrew luecke said:

I will say, the core units and ca10 units are definitely  much faster.

One of our drivers (so far) actually detects and processor, and if it's one of those two, it doubles the speed of initialization (the driver requires a lot of connection commands)

Sorry for jumping in on an older thread, 

Is there anything you see now or on the horizon that would drive you towards a Core 5 instead of a Core 3 for optimal performance of newer drivers like you describe?

I'm in a position where I'm going to be upgrading and adding a CA-10, where I previously had two HC800s.  Because of the size of my Zigbee mesh, I need to decide if I am buying two Core 5s, a Core 3 and a Core 5, or two Core 3s.  I'm trying to avoid the cost of the Core 5 since these are just going to be secondary processors to the CA-10, and I think realistically with the size and complexity of my project, a CA-10 may be underutilized as is.

9 minutes ago, turls said:

Sorry for jumping in on an older thread, 

Is there anything you see now or on the horizon that would drive you towards a Core 5 instead of a Core 3 for optimal performance of newer drivers like you describe?

I'm in a position where I'm going to be upgrading and adding a CA-10, where I previously had two HC800s.  Because of the size of my Zigbee mesh, I need to decide if I am buying two Core 5s, a Core 3 and a Core 5, or two Core 3s.  I'm trying to avoid the cost of the Core 5 since these are just going to be secondary processors to the CA-10, and I think realistically with the size and complexity of my project, a CA-10 may be underutilized as is.

Depends on if you're using the processor as audio sources into distribution.

1 minute ago, RAV said:

Depends on if you're using the processor as audio sources into distribution.

I am, but there shouldn't be very many concurrent sources...I mean, I had HC250s and HC300s that I lost as I moved to OS3 and was down to one HC800 in my main rack, and everything is running properly now.  I would hope the audio capabilities of a Core 3 would at least be comparable to a HC800.

My vote:
CA10 & Core5, with Core1 and CA1 for mesh and local GUIs as needed.
If it's just two audio streams and you're doing the CA10 at the same time, and don't need the IO of the 5, you could do the Core3 at the rack instead.
But if the CA10 is later, start with the Core5 to replace the HC800.

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

CA10 as main controller

Core5 for Zigbee and audio

Rest depends on what further IO, OSD and music streaming needs you have

Both racks include IO Extenders already, and the number of concurrent streams should be relatively low (2-3 at most?).

Main central rack (best for Zigbee?) will have the CA10 and the Core 5/Core 3

Theater rack would be better with a Core 5 for aesthetics, but I would think I could make a Core 3 work.

Are you saying Core 5 is going to be noticably preferable to Core 3 for Zigbee by itself, or only for better audio capabilities?

Just thinking about the price difference to go with two Core 5 vs two Core 3. That's going to add up.

• 2 weeks later...

Dealer talked me into CA10 and two Core5.  I hope this is my last upgrade for a long, long time.  He had a good point about how long my IOX are in the tooth and really how much longer will they be supported (or with their age, give me issues).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.