C4 Forums | Control4

rumors

Does Savant have a yearly fee for something like 4sight?  I honestly have no clue.

To me, it is all about out of pocket cost.  I mean end of day if I am paying $150/year for "4sight" or for a "license", its $150 out of pocket, call it whatever you want.  if they want to start charging for 4sight AND A license, then let's have another talk.  and yes I know 4sight offers "services" which aren't needed so technically you could run c4 without any fees yearly.  That said, I would assume a vast majority of c4 customers pay for 4sight

And didn't old Controllers have a license anyways?  so this is new or just back to square one?  I joined the c4 world in 2013 when licenses were just being sold in the controller vs a separate purchase so that is pre-existing my knowledge.

and there are photos of Sasquatch and El Chupacabra so there's that....

10 minutes ago, tmj4 said:

regardless of truth

Regardless of truth?

I kind of think truth is the point, isn't it?

Until Snap One announces anything (or never does), it doesn't really much matter, there's no truth until something happens.

RyanE

1 hour ago, tmj4 said:

Well regardless of truth, recurring revenue is the name of the game and investors love it

Exactly, and C4 has been making small steps in this direction for years requiring a 4sight sub for various functionality, like voice control, notifications. and, When/Then.

So many tech companies are moving in this direction.

HAaaS

4 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Does Savant have a yearly fee for something like 4sight?  I honestly have no clue.

To me, it is all about out of pocket cost.  I mean end of day if I am paying $150/year for "4sight" or for a "license", its $150 out of pocket, call it whatever you want.  if they want to start charging for 4sight AND A license, then let's have another talk.  and yes I know 4sight offers "services" which aren't needed so technically you could run c4 without any fees yearly.  That said, I would assume a vast majority of c4 customers pay for 4sight

And didn't old Controllers have a license anyways?  so this is new or just back to square one?  I joined the c4 world in 2013 when licenses were just being sold in the controller vs a separate purchase so that is pre-existing my knowledge.

and there are photos of Sasquatch and El Chupacabra so there's that....

There has been some transition here in the Savant world as well….

There ware licenses for each “OS version”. So you would buy a lic. for OS2 in the C4 comparison and then purchase an upgrade lic. when wanting the upgrade to OS3.  This isn’t a requirement, the latest version of the previous OS still being updated and supported. 

The lics. used to be dependent on the 4 different host levels.. the first being included, the second being <$1k and the last two being thousands. A lic. might seem like a lot but paired with a Mac mini for $900 and the costs were comparable to larger processors from competitors. 

“4site” access in the Control4 sense is free and automatic w/ Savant. They had added an extra lic. for more advanced features accessed remotely but retraced it. They are moving now toward only integrated hosts (soundbar and amp) or self provided Mac hardware with OS lics. and lics. for deep integrations with big 3rd party system APIs 

To add on Josh doing the same and pricing their projects going forward based upon number of connected devices versus number of zones.  Not sure when that will take place and how they'll notify customers that have the 5 year licenses like myself.  Theirs will be either a monthly/yearly fee with an option to make a one-time purchase for the lifetime of the system.

4 hours ago, zaphod said:

Exactly, and C4 has been making small steps in this direction for years requiring a 4sight sub for various functionality, like voice control, notifications. and, When/Then.

HAaaS

Only some online services which require online servers like an email server require 4Sight And that's not entirely a bad thing instead of making it a "free for all". They also offer free services like OvrC already (and, you don't even need a hub anymore)

Don't forget, Control4 does a lot of hospitality and such too, and many installations which don't have full time internet access... It's unlikely they'll ever require 4sight / yearly licences imho for general things

Personally, I'd be surprised if they made a yearly subscription a requirement. At this time, I suspect it wouldn't be a good fit for their current model. I really don't see this happening honestly..

• 3 months later...
On 10/11/2023 at 6:38 PM, zaphod said:

HAaaS

Yep, and I just had my acronym a bit off.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.