C4 Forums | Control4

A good RGB LED Control solution for Control4 is there

On 5/23/2019 at 5:20 PM, jackstone said:

Great setup, glad it work well for you, it's an alternative for personal home or lab. I would never sell a DIY solution to a customer though, sometime you pay more to buy the "Peace of mind" (and support from a reputable company). All this worth something for me.

@jackstone

I agree with you, however, for a retrofit solution, I couldn't find a DMX wireless solution. It's difficult to pull new wires. Is there a suggested reliable wireless DMX solution?

9 hours ago, Amr said:

We are not comparing anything, it’s an alternative solution for anyone who is keen to test and wants to cut costs with a killer retrofit solution.

You are comparing. You yourself are saying its an alternative. That's comparing.

Your setup is not without serious issues. I'm glad you like it and as you can see I run some hardware from Shelly.

You are posting in a thread for someones product. Maybe it would be best for you to start a new thread instead of hijacking and trying to steer people away from his solution.

11 minutes ago, Pounce said:

You are comparing. You yourself are saying its an alternative. That's comparing.

Your setup is not without serious issues. I'm glad you like it and as you can see I run some hardware from Shelly.

You are posting in a thread for someones product. Maybe it would be best for you to start a new thread instead of hijacking and trying to steer people away from his solution.

Wow, r u serious?

On 5/26/2019 at 8:53 PM, Pounce said:

On 5/26/2019 at 9:10 PM, Amr said:

Take it easy on yourself, we are not hijacking anything or competing with anyone, don’t get carried away and act like a jerk ...

Agreed - not cool to hijack this thread. Shelly sounds great - but best to discuss in a separate thread. This thread is dedicated a different solution and no reason to take it off topic. 

I have been stalking this thread for awhile and greatly appreciate everyone’s comments and information. I am about to pull the trigger and put together some led lighting for my covered patio deck. I will be using the Domaudeo driver and the recommended engine/decoders. I would like to use RGBW strips in aluminum channels under the railing. Does anyone have recommendation for the best quality IP65 RGBW led tape? I will need to connect the tape with wire and thread through or around columns. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 5/27/2019 at 10:22 PM, JEC said:

Does anyone have recommendation for the best quality IP65 RGBW led tape? I will need to connect the tape with wire and thread through or around columns. Thanks!

I’ve been looking at these LEDENET light strips. They are RGB+W+WW and come in IP65 and IP67 waterproofing options. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07475JKZW/

I’ve been looking at these LEDENET light strips. They are RGB+W+WW and come in IP65 and IP67 waterproofing options. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07475JKZW/

Thanks for the link. The price is certainly good, but I worry about the quality. I don’t mind paying a bit more for something that will be reliable and last. I don’t fancy having to replace the strips after I get everything wired up...

I agree on reliability. Unfortunately, higher price doesn’t guarantee higher quality. I was looking at some substantially more expensive pro-channel vendors. And then I noticed they appeared to be the exact same LEDs and tape base, and that some of their brightness claims didn’t match the LED specs. I’m not saying LEDENET is super-high reliability, but I had bigger concerns about other higher priced vendors. I’m not sure how to identify more reliable vs. less. 

I agree on reliability. Unfortunately, higher price doesn’t guarantee higher quality. I was looking at some substantially more expensive pro-channel vendors. And then I noticed they appeared to be the exact same LEDs and tape base, and that some of their brightness claims didn’t match the LED specs. I’m not saying LEDENET is super-high reliability, but I had bigger concerns about other higher priced vendors. I’m not sure how to identify more reliable vs. less. 

Sounds like you are stuck where I am. I was originally looking at the flex fire line but was concerned about the price for a brand/manufacturer I know nothing about.

https://www.flexfireleds.com/rgb-color-changing-strip-light/outdoor-ip65-RGBW-LED-strip-light

Question for you pros out there. I just setup a test solution on my workbench, and things are working great so far. I'm using this drive, along with the Engineering Solutions RS232 DMX Controller from Blackwire.

I'm using this power supply: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R5CHZAO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using this DMX512 LED Controller: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WG3HV4W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using this strip of LED lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JKKP89M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm a little bit underwhelmed at how bright these are (or aren't). I have the power turned all the way up on my Power Supply. Does anyone have any opinion as to which of these is the weak link in not getting the lights brighter? I'm going to test in some other locations tomorrow, but my plan is to use these as under cabinet lights and toe kick lights, and I can't imagine that they'll be bright enough for that. Thanks in advance.

12v led tape don’t typically have a high lumen output.  That’s issue number 1 if you want “bright”.  24v tape would be better suited   Also you get what you pay for when it comes to the tape  

never used that decoder before so can’t comment. 

How many strips do have hooked up to that power supply. 

31 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

12v led tape don’t typically have a high lumen output.  That’s issue number 1 if you want “bright”.  24v tape would be better suited   Also you get what you pay for when it comes to the tape  

never used that decoder before so can’t comment. 

How many strips do have hooked up to that power supply. 

Right now I only have 1. I didn't want to get too heavily invested in testing feasibility but it looks like the application will work well for what I want. If switching to 24V will make a difference, I'm happy to get a 24V power supply - do you have one you recommend? Also happy to look at other decoders and other LED tape. I'd love any suggestions you have on all those fronts, now that I'm comfortable with DMX as a solution, in conjunction with this RS232 controller and the driver from Domaudeo.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

Right now I only have 1. I didn't want to get too heavily invested in testing feasibility but it looks like the application will work well for what I want. If switching to 24V will make a difference, I'm happy to get a 24V power supply - do you have one you recommend? Also happy to look at other decoders and other LED tape. I'd love any suggestions you have on all those fronts, now that I'm comfortable with DMX as a solution, in conjunction with this RS232 controller and the driver from Domaudeo.

Thanks in advance.

Anything Meanwell is solid, so stick with them.

i use these decoders which are meant to run holiday displays/light shows.  I use a metal wall can for the high volt distribution  and power supply mounting

Then is use a structured wiring panel to mount these boards.  Use stand off mounts and the boards line up with most manufacturers peg board.

Been using these (about 7 of them) for the last 10 years.  Excepts 12-24V, just have to dedicate a board for each power level.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/30-Channel-DMX-Controller-for-RGB-Lights-12v-DC-p/43.htm

2 hours ago, xc420 said:

My 12volt 5050 led strips are plenty bright.  Maybe your controller is limiting the brightness. It says it has 256 levels of brightness.

Thanks for the input...have to try others. Which one do you use?

Lippa - thanks for that. It looks like those are just RGB, and what I really want is RGBW. 

They work perfectly fine with all strips.  Remember, each light is a number.

Channels 1, 2, 3, 4 would be used for RGBW, then channel 5 would start your next strip.  Documentation certainly helps here.

Common is daisy chained through the whole board, so you can use any of those ports.

For LED strips we have been using AspectLED.  They can take a couple of days to make your order but the quality has been great.  They have a great 4 chip LED that reduces dotting and the ability to use color without dotting.  The also have a tunable white LED.  We always use the water resistant LED even indoors in dry areas.  We do this to protect the chips and get rid of sharp edges in case a child or drunk adult wants to touch the lighting.  No matter what mfg we use for LED we also run two beads of clear silicone on either side of the tape to keep it adhered to the surface.  The double sided tape on any of them always seems to come off.  AspectLED power supplies are good as well although we usually use MeanWell from a local distributor.

Main difference we see between 12v and 24v is that 12v you can cut at smaller increments which is nice for smaller areas you want a edge to edge look with LED.  24v typically can be ran in longer lengths up to 32’ vs 16’. Both are just as bright. 

This DMX driver has been great.  We often install a generic LED driver due to cost but then get requests to program a Red, White and Blue,  Halloween or Christmas scene which can only be done correctly with the DMX driver.  We have synced it to an audio matrix for dance music as well with great results.  Just need to tune in bass and treble to get the right “hits” when the sick beat drops.

We have also done a DMX landscape lighting RGBW with AspectLED inground wells and RGBW tape under eves.  Client never has to put up Christmas lights but also has the benefit of running a standard white scene for a normal landscape lighting look.  Or custom scenes for Halloween, Valentines Day, Birthday party, etc. We just schedule events in C4 to run DMX lighting scenes during specific times of the year for holidays.

All this would not be economically possible without this DMX driver.  Great job.  I’ll see if I can dig up some video or pics to send. 

*I am not paid or financially tied to the DMX driver or AspectLED.

https://www.aspectled.com/collections/flexible-led-strip-lights/products/w-series-rgbw-4-in-1-color-changing-flexible-led-strip-light-18-leds-foot#tab-1