C4 Forums | Control4

2017 Thoughts for Control4

mic2010

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And we are back to the usual BS of comparing Control4 to Car companies. Here's a few comparisons:

- Control4 didn't ask for help in the economic downturn.

- Control4 isn't in trouble for faking emission test results

- Control4 didn't install floor mats that killed

- Control4 didn't create airbags that launched shrapnel

Stupid comparisons. Indeed

You don't like the model - you're free to go elsewhere.

Just like you can choose not to buy a Mercedes and go with that Honda instead. Nothing wrong with either. Hey, that actually works...

That is the great part of home automation. Lots of options. All have pros and cons. Like literally every decision in life.

The fact that you keep posting tells me you like the product more then you dislike it.

Go with smart things! You can do whatever you want and spend hours trying to make things work and reading forums

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

You can't self service repair a Tesla or go to a 3rd party. They have no repair manuals. And no pricing that is set outside of them.

Exactly, far superior using a manufacturer (you know, the guys who engineered the thing from the ground up) rather than be forced to a Tesla certified mechanic who could be great or a disaster. 

23 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

And we are back to the usual BS of comparing Control4 to Car companies. Here's a few comparisons:

- Control4 didn't ask for help in the economic downturn.

- Control4 isn't in trouble for faking emission test results

- Control4 didn't install floor mats that killed

- Control4 didn't create airbags that launched shrapnel

Stupid comparisons. Indeed

You don't like the model - you're free to go elsewhere.

Just like you can choose not to buy a Mercedes and go with that Honda instead. Nothing wrong with either. Hey, that actually works...

I didn’t bring up the car comparison, but t actually helps my side of the arguement

12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

That is the great part of home automation. Lots of options. All have pros and cons. Like literally every decision in life.

The fact that you keep posting tells me you like the product more then you dislike it.

Go with smart things! You can do whatever you want and spend hours trying to make things work and reading forums

I’ve been very consistent, I like C4, a lot, but I don’t want a dealer and will wait for the radical shift (DIY, cloud, price collapse, native drivers, working direct with C4, etc) I few is inevitable.  If the C4 model was so great Apple, Amazon Microsoft, and Google wouldn’t all be opposed to it.  You know, the largest most successful companies in the world might know a thing or two, just a thought.

I think it's great if the largest companies in the world figure out how to do home automation better. But I'm using what I think is the best system today and that's all I can say. I don't have a magic ball for where technology will be in 5-10 years. With that said I think there is always a place for customer service. I'm able to apply my 8 years of knowledge to help customers be successful today

I’ve been very consistent, I like C4, a lot, but I don’t want a dealer and will wait for the radical shift (DIY, cloud, price collapse, native drivers, working direct with C4, etc) I few is inevitable.  If the C4 model was so great Apple, Amazon Microsoft, and Google wouldn’t all be opposed to it.  You know, the largest most successful companies in the world might know a thing or two, just a thought.

1 hour ago, mod220 said:

None of those companies you list offer a full suite or a full platform for home automation.  They offer control devices (Alexa/google home/HomeKit) or media steaming devices   C4 doesn’t offer that hardware but they sure do integrate it.  So it’s a poor comparison.  Why not compare the business model of bed bath and beyond vs Pfizer.  I mean bed bath and beyond has an aisle of over the counter pharmacy stuff so they must be compared to Pfizer. 

8 hours ago, mod220 said:

They is ways to control everything using Simple Connect I think it was called - My Nephew has now done most of my sisters house - He is IT based and enjoying doing it - I personally would not wish to do (50 years old) as i have a job and wish to have a life. 

This is the issue for C4 going forward and hence the reason they employed Charlie Kindle - Could be a interesting 2 years. 

They do need something because the last two years (CEDIA) was all about the Intercom App

It's pretty sad how many people are focused on why @mod220 is here rather than his points.

The C4 dealer model is flawed and cannot adapt quickly to industry changes and really isn't set up to deal with much other than new installs.  I don't see anyone saying C4 is in danger of imminent implosion.  But I see an awful lot of people pretending that what may have worked reasonably well 5-10 years ago will be perfectly fine 5-10 years from now.  

Those of us with C4 systems have a vested interest in seeing C4 succeed but if C4 is ever going to truly succeed long term it has to be more adaptive and responsive to market trends and customer requirements.  At some point the gravy train of "I want home automation" initial installs by those buying new houses or benefitting from a 8+ year economic recovery is going to dry up or the big boys are going to push C4 into bring even more of a niche player.

It's pretty sad how many people are focused on why [mention=137329]mod220[/mention] is here rather than his points.

The C4 dealer model is flawed and cannot adapt quickly to industry changes and really isn't set up to deal with much other than new installs.  I don't see anyone saying C4 is in danger of imminent implosion.  But I see an awful lot of people pretending that what may have worked reasonably well 5-10 years ago will be perfectly fine 5-10 years from now.  

Those of us with C4 systems have a vested interest in seeing C4 succeed but if C4 is ever going to truly succeed long term it has to be more adaptive and responsive to market trends and customer requirements.  At some point the gravy train of "I want home automation" initial installs by those buying new houses or benefitting from a 8+ year economic recovery is going to dry up or the big boys are going to push C4 into bring even more of a niche player.

Until electronics are made simpler and more intuitive, not yet.

I could not have an AVR and surround sound etc in my living room without it, or another form of automation.

The fact the rest just works also makes for massive spouse approval.

C4 are adapting. The lower cost controller for new build contractor installs for example. When / then roll out to the end user, composer home, adding cloud media sources. It seems to be their roadmap.

Not sure they will ever get to that on switching out an AVR or multi room amp, but I could see straight device swaps (endpoint tvs or simple sources) on this roadmap soon.

Look what John Deere just pulled

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/18/09/22/0316205/did-john-deere-just-swindle-californias-farmers-out-of-their-right-to-repair?utm_source=feedly1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed 

so this is the value that 3rd party dealers bring - they help prevent things like this.  This is no different then Tesla.  Tesla can change your car at will without your consent.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/18/09/22/0316205/did-john-deere-just-swindle-californias-farmers-out-of-their-right-to-repair?utm_source=feedly1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed 

so this is the value that 3rd party dealers bring - they help prevent things like this.  This is no different then Tesla.  Tesla can change your car at will without your consent.

O Deere o Deere!

In the spirit of discussing the merits of C4, I wanted to explore how they compared against other current dealer models.  Plenty out there on Creston and Savant, but I don't see much online regarding Elan 8 and URC's Total Control 2.0 platforms.  What little I did find showed Elan was higher end, maybe along the lines of RTI, and URC was lower end, TC 1.0 was a disaster, and they seem to have a less than satisfied dealership network.  Any insight on why C4 is superior to these other platforms?  

On 9/23/2018 at 12:37 PM, msgreenf said:

Tesla is very different, Tesla (the manufacturer) does all the repairs, very different than being forced to a third party dealer for repairs.  

3 hours ago, mod220 said:

In the spirit of discussing the merits of C4, I wanted to explore how they compared against other current dealer models.  Plenty out there on Creston and Savant, but I don't see much online regarding Elan 8 and URC's Total Control 2.0 platforms.  What little I did find showed Elan was higher end, maybe along the lines of RTI, and URC was lower end, TC 1.0 was a disaster, and they seem to have a less than satisfied dealership network.  Any insight on why C4 is superior to these other platforms?  

Asking a good question not related to the subject 20 pages in a thread.  If you want a good chat on it maybe create a new thread  with a properly titled subject about this topic 

Archived