C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 buys Neeo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

I see this as a designing opportunity/purchase.  Software for the remote was riddled with problems for years without fixes.

all I can say is they better not get rid of the number buttons like the NEEO remote did.

Please Control4, don't get rid of the number buttons. Pretty please!!

For those wanting voice-enabled remote control, your time has come. 

38 minutes ago, mallom said:

Arent they capable of alexa?

Yeah.. I guess the bridge is capable of alexa not the remote.

Since they are wifi, im sure they could implement a microfone there.

Which is exactly what Control4 also does with Alexa - you can use an Alexa device as an 'input' device. There is no 'NEEO voice control' - there's just Alexa voice control sending 'commands' to NEEO (or Control4) - C4's version is already more advanced than I've seen from NEEO.

“Raphael built a world-class customer-centric product team with proven strengths in industrial design, product development, and user experience. We’re keen to add NEEO’s unique expertise and award-winning Swiss design ethic to enhance our plans for reimagining the way homeowners interact with their Control4 systems,” said Martin Plaehn, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Control4. “The NEEO acquisition is a talent and technology investment that will yield beautifully-designed and deeply integrated products in the future. We’re excited to welcome the NEEO team to the Control4 family,” he added.

“From the start, it was obvious that both our companies are passionate for customer-centric design,” said Raphael Oberholzer, NEEO Founder. “By joining the Control4 team, we can execute our shared vision to accelerate the creation of beautiful products consumers want in their smart home.”

Blah Blah management speak..." "re-imagine the way homeowners interact with their Control4 systems"... .. Nothing is ever going to change with this company until they wake up and  realise the fundamental problem is not how homeowners interact with their Control4 systems it is how Control4 (itself) interacts with their homeowners...

Unless this fundamental attitude changes..and they realise the likes of Amazon Alexa and Google have leapfrogged the way end users think about how they go about the purchase and maintenance of a HA system..... Otherwise,  this will be is yet another "bolt on" to the same old rusting business model going nowhere 

my last IMO!!!!!! 

^ I know they are pointless in that it will never change - but I know both you and Ryan and most C4 dealers probably secretly agree with me - it’s just the cult wont let you actually *say* it ... am I right?...- that’s why I’ve said before it’s like a cult. That’s how they behave! Have fun with it guys. Enjoy your systems and I consider you all my friends. Long live Control4... Signing off. W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not understand the full capability of the NEEO product.  However, in my quick review, C4 making this purchase seems like a step back or at least a step sideways.  Customers are not looking for more gadgets and remotes, they are looking for solutions that are easy to use.   As an example, with Google Home and Alexa showing the way with a more simple customer interface.   I do not pretend to fully understand C4's product path, but as a consumer / customer that has invested a lot of my hard earned money, it appears that C4 is more focused on preserving the professional installation model rather than succeeding in providing superior customer experiences.

BTW, I am sure that some will downgrade me and or attack me based on this message, from my perspective that will just show negatively on them.

Disappointing.

2 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

^ I know they are pointless in that it will never change - but I know both you and Ryan and most C4 dealers probably secretly agree with me - it’s just the cult wont let you actually *say* it ... am I right?...- that’s why I’ve said before it’s like a cult. That’s how they behave! Have fun with it guys. Enjoy your systems and I consider you all my friends. Long live Control4... Signing off. W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No i don't fully agree or disagree with you.  I think most customers benefit from having a professional setup their system.  It's not just about the setup, it's the advice too and experience.

Does everyone need it? no. but i strongly believe most do.

2 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

I don't agree with wappinghigh on this subject, secretly or in public.

RyanE

2 hours ago, bkrause said:

I do not understand the full capability of the NEEO product.  However, in my quick review, C4 making this purchase seems like a step back or at least a step sideways.  Customers are not looking for more gadgets and remotes, they are looking for solutions that are easy to use.   As an example, with Google Home and Alexa showing the way with a more simple customer interface.   I do not pretend to fully understand C4's product path, but as a consumer / customer that has invested a lot of my hard earned money, it appears that C4 is more focused on preserving the professional installation model rather than succeeding in providing superior customer experiences.

BTW, I am sure that some will downgrade me and or attack me based on this message, from my perspective that will just show negatively on them.

Control4 is certainly based on the professional, dealer-install model.

That has always been the case, and until otherwise announced, will continue to be the case.

I doubt anyone will downgrade or attack you for wishing it were otherwise.  Wappinghigh gets attacked because he himself provokes and attacks others.

Control4's sales model is unrelated to whether Control4 can and will provide a superior customer experience, at least in terms of the UI and customer interaction with the system.

I look forward to Control4 releasing a new remote with help of our new friends in Bern (and Solothurn and California)!

RyanE

I would caution Control4 about moving their remote to be too simplistic. The number 1 driver for me to use control4 was a hardbutton remote. I do not want to look at a touchscreen to change the volume, use directional pad or control the DVR. None of those things can be moved to a touchscreen. While I like the look of the NEEO remote, I dont see the need or expense of keeping a touchscreen on it. I honestly think touchscreens built into hardbutton remotes are pointless.

Archived