C4 Forums | Control4

Ubiquity WiFi speed

vitali

Peak technical wide band speed
Like my 2500W sub in my car.

This instantly brings to mind theoretical Zigbee range vs reality 

We can all pick apart my one comment but it makes a lot of sense in the context of the entire thread.

And from the top I was asking what the need was vs reliable usable fast enough WiFi.

Oh don't get me wrong, this wasn't anything against the rest of the thread at all, just a general comment on such ratings (by ANYONE)
I keep having this conversation with my son about 3g/4g/5g mobile data.

Throughout France he was "I'm only getting 3g data" and I'm all "but you can stream music and YouTube just fine"

He's complaining he needs faster data just because.

On 12/7/2019 at 5:42 PM, vitali said:

Here is a problem, clients starting to ask " why do I pay for 500meg or 1G" or what ever, but from YOUR equipment I can't get speed I was promised. 

Explanations like " 200 is away higher then you may need", or "the traffic is shared with all users", or " it is like a car, you will never use it's highest speed". not good enough because nearby ISP router the speed was pretty close to promised (390)

In that case, what equipment is better to use? so I can just show to client speed close to ISP provides? araknis, rukus? 

I would never expect anywhere near 500Mbps on wifi, nevermind Gbps.  Let's face it, the main reason to get faster speeds at home is to be able to d'l torrents faster.  What else is going to push past 500 Mbps?  Streaming 4K content takes about 25 Mbps.  So you can be pushing eight simultaneous 4K streams and never push near the limits of a 250Mbps service.

If you want to get speeds of > 500 Mbps to your devices then wire them up.

12 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I would never expect anywhere near 500Mbps on wifi, nevermind Gbps.  Let's face it, the main reason to get faster speeds at home is to be able to d'l torrents faster.  What else is going to push past 500 Mbps?  Streaming 4K content takes about 25 Mbps.  So you can be pushing eight simultaneous 4K streams and never push near the limits of a 250Mbps service.

If you want to get speeds of > 500 Mbps to your devices then wire them up.

This is an ignorant response, I achieve 800-900Mbps on my UniFi WiFi without issues all day.  It comes down to proper configuration, channel availability (do you live in an apartment, or a house where you're not being smashed by 10 other WiFi signals in your channel band), and having the proper WiFi adapter for your PC (this is the most commonly overlooked one, know what product you have and its capabilities, many Wifi adapters are single channel, if you don't have a multi-channel card that supports MIMO then you will be limited to the max speed of a single channel).

The AC-Pro can do Gig no problem over WiFi, the irony is that the unit itself has 1300Mbps of capacity from a wireless perspective, but the NIC uplink is only Gig, so no matter what you do you'll never get over Gig of throughput.

14 minutes ago, Flash2k6 said:

This is an ignorant response, I achieve 800-900Mbps on my UniFi WiFi without issues all day.  It comes down to proper configuration, channel availability (do you live in an apartment, or a house where you're not being smashed by 10 other WiFi signals in your channel band), and having the proper WiFi adapter for your PC (this is the most commonly overlooked one, know what product you have and its capabilities, many Wifi adapters are single channel, if you don't have a multi-channel card that supports MIMO then you will be limited to the max speed of a single channel).

The AC-Pro can do Gig no problem over WiFi, the irony is that the unit itself has 1300Mbps of capacity from a wireless perspective, but the NIC uplink is only Gig, so no matter what you do you'll never get over Gig of throughput.

🤣

Yeah. No.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-fast-is-a-wifi-network-816543

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

12 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

With all due respect, you are also ignorant...  I don't have my test iPerf setup running any longer so to illustrate my point here's a screenshot from my iPhone Xs on WiFi I took just now, and for good measure I waited a little over 10 minutes and did it again just to reinforce the point of consistency.

Note:  I have 600Mbps service from my provider, so I can't go above that on my Speedtest, but I've iPerf'ed my Wifi from every room in my house across my LAN and there isn't a single room in my house I get less than 800Mbps on WiFi to the server in my network room.  In my more open rooms closer to the APs with less obstruction, I can get 930-940Mbps no problem.

Tell me again how it's not realistic to expect 500Mbps on Wifi?  I'd recommend reading up on how channels and channel bonding works, checking your configuration and ensuring you have the right kind of Wifi card for your device to maximize the speed.  Configuration matters.

ignorant.pngignorant2.png

You laughed and tried to discredit factual information.  You linked worthless websites that don’t contain all the facts or proper representation of how wireless channels work nor do they represent environment conditions or configurations.  You provided no insight or knowledge on UniFi or wireless configuration or setups.  You provided no experience or data to your argument.  You just flat said no to my claim. Because you have displayed no factual knowledge of the subject, that is the very definition of ignorance.

The bottom line is WiFi with a proper channel balance and MIMO setup can absolutely do Gig speed, the original poster‘s issue isn’t a hardware capability issue, it’s a configuration, client device, and/or environment issue.  If you’re going to try and be helpful, then actually be helpful instead of bringing worthless dribble to the thread or insulting or discrediting someone who actually knows what they’re talking about who’s installed multiple live UniFi environments operating well above the “unrealistic expectations” of 500Mbit/s over WiFi per client.

And no, the stereo wattage didn’t go over my head, I didn’t comment on that post did I? I got your joke, I commented on your follow up post trying to discredit my actual environment and what WiFi is capable of, because you are wrong.  I can provide data all day long that shows no issues pushing 900+Mbps over WiFi on a single client in my house using the same gear the original poster is using, supporting that he needs to tune his network and it can absolutely do more than 200Mbps.  Throwing a Speedtest up was just a quick way that is relatable to people showing that WiFi can absolutely go faster than what was highlighted in this thread.

If you want additional data, here is a link to a third party professional independent tester showing all of the Unifi AP models along the bottom tabs, and all of the firmware versions and clients he uses to test throughput.  As you can see, 2 channel MIMO clients easily break beyond 500Mbps.  If you have a 3 or 4 channel MIMO client you can reach Gig level speeds which is exactly how I do it in my setup.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Kk-D5TNcm_-olg0kklhbDVO7GhgIJUIH356rq9mVse8/edit#gid=1983785337

Educate yourself before you make foolish comments.

Unifi APs can be very high performance if setup correctly, but most people just install them out of the box and wonder why they're only getting 100-300Mbps and then cry foul, when in reality it's just default or poor configurations.

I got dizzy reading all the arguing about max throughput. I'm ignoring that for sake of OP. 

I would recommend using a site survey tool to check your wireless. There is a demo mode from NetSpot for OSX and a few wireless tools for windows that can do the same. What you need to do is go to the places you are having performance problems and look at the networks you can see and the channels they are on. If they are sitting on the same channels your network is on or if they overlap (google 5ghz wifi channel map) a portion of your channel, move your channel. Say you are configured for channel 36 with 40mhz channels and your neighbor is sitting on 40 with 20mhz channels you will get good throughput on the first spatial stream but not the second. If your neighbors gear is really crappo they could have sideband leaking down into your chan 36 too.. You will also want to make sure you have -65dbm signal or more. I would not "crank up the power" on the AP as they generally have more robust antenna systems than your mobile devices and adding power will just have them blast over an area that a client cant respond clearly in. You will get distant clients connected at lower rates and not wanting to roam resulting in a crappy experience.

If you have 802.11AC wave 2 and a mu-mimo client, are using non-overlapping 80 mhz channels, and are in close physical proximity to the AP you can get super high speeds. If you are in a dense environment and have a lot of interference from neighbors its better to drop back to a non-overlapping 40 mhz channel than try and use an 80mhz. Generally most of the traffic is sitting in the first channel/spatial stream until you transfer a large file so the upper channels don't see much action.

Someone above talked about multicast. Broadcast is more likely to be an issue in a residential environment as most residential products don't do a LOT of multicast. The issue with boradcast/multicast in wireless is that since it's addressed to multiple clients, it's sent at the slowest speed or sometimes the slowest configured speed. For example, you have a hotrod wifi6 radio with 160ghz channel bandwith and a multirate ethernet connection linked at 10G. In theory you can have a ~1g throughput client (we can argue this later, lets solve the problem now). You can also have an 802.11a client linked up at 4 mb/sec. The older client's bits are flipped at a small portion of the rate of the new client, wasting airtime/bandwidth. When you have a ton of BUM traffic it wastes airtime. I've seen at a hospital an 80% airtime consumption (YIKES!) with BUM traffic. Another example are the BSS broadcasts that announce the SSID. Those are sent at base rate and approximately 32 SSIDs on the same channel will use 100% of the airtime because it's transmitted at a very slow rate. You can mitigate by increasing the minimum connection speed which will reduce your cell size. I would also reduce your power to a moderate level to cover the area the AP is supposed to cover. You may need another AP and to reposition what you have, however the throughput and reliability could be higher.

Also don't use 2.4 for anything if you can avoid.

In summary:

• Use a tool to determine channel use by your neighbors, this changes over time so you may need to adust periodically
  • Verify you have -65 coverage everywhere with the same tool
  • Verify you have non-overlapping coverage on each channel of each AP with the same tool
  • Reduce AP power to moderate levels if you've increased power settings
  • Do not use 2.4 if possible

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.