C4 Forums | Control4

Pentair Intelliconnect?

rf9000

IntelliConnect is a new Pentair system that came out last summer. It gives control of a few devices (intelliFlo pumps, heaters, intellibrite lights via 1 of the 2 relays). It doesn't have valve controlling capabilities that the older systems (EasyTouch or IntelliTouch) or the newer Intellicenter has, nor the expansion options, but meets the needs of many pools. There's no Control4 integration at this point for the IntelliConnect. 

8 hours ago, dw886 said:

IntelliConnect is a new Pentair system that came out last summer. It gives control of a few devices (intelliFlo pumps, heaters, intellibrite lights via 1 of the 2 relays). It doesn't have valve controlling capabilities that the older systems (EasyTouch or IntelliTouch) or the newer Intellicenter has, nor the expansion options, but meets the needs of many pools. There's no Control4 integration at this point for the IntelliConnect. 

Thanks. I would sure think that there would be something soon for Intelliconnect. It is very basic and runs off WIFI so I would think it would be a breeze to integrate?

It looks like some of the Pentair stuff, at least Intellicenter,  is controlled via MQTT so it might be possible to hack together a driver:https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/intellicenter-web-client-and-its-possible-alternatives.198213/

Sorry for the delay I have a lot going on here at the moment so am not as active on here as I would like to be but wanted to check in and update.
As @MyAZPool mentioned, he and I have been working on what I am calling the IntelliCenter Commander. It's really just a 2-way MQTT to Telnet bridge. I threw together some code and @MyAZPool has been the willing and very gracious guinea pig.
The larger plan is this:
Building off my IntelliCenter API document the Commander will accept coded commands on the MQTT bus interpret them and then send the IntelliCenter formatted command to the IntelliCenter via telnet.
The commander simultaneously listens, via Telnet for messages on the IntelliCenter API bus, and relays them to the MQTT broker.
The idea being that Home Automation systems, or anyone with a little coding knowledge, can use MQTT to both command the IntelliCenter and be updated of status changes for the equipment and sensors connected to the IntelliCenter. The home-brewers out there, if so inclined, could create their own UI without having to worry about communicating with the IntelliCenter or learning all of the command syntax.
The Commander will run as a service on some low-power box on your local network. The MQTT server can be run locally on the same box, a different box or hosted in the cloud. When using a locally hosted MQTT server and when your device with your chosen UI is also on your local network you will have full control of your IntelliCenter no cloud required and no internet connection required.
Finally, since we don't have to rely on Pentair's UI the IntelliCenter commander can do things the Pentair web app cannot (so I'm told image.gif.8efb848e72ba6c7e1a40a96e5bd70c48.gif )

my current pentair integration is probably the weakest and least reliable component in my setup.  part of the issue is the c4 pentair driver (functionality and including an issue or two i have with the c4 pool proxy) and part the pentair iLink.

this is what you do, or more specifically, what i'm doing: i wrote a pool proxy driver "bPentair" (not released) with the ability to directly read/write to the Pentair serial bus.  disclaimer is that i have an intellitouch, not an intelliconect, but the intelliconect uses the same serial connection to talk to other pentair equipment.  by going direct, you can bypass MQTT (your entire network really) and not get caught by a change in pentair's MQTT interface and not require a separate box as noted above.  of course, you will need a serial connection between your c4 controller and pentiar but everyone added that during construction, right! also would need a $10 rs485<->rs232 protocol adapter and because i'm running this on my development ea1, i needed a $15 3.5mm to rs232 adapter.

also, as noted above, a direct connection gives you access to everything on the bus - iChem, iChlor, detail pump info, etc.  you can not get this info from iLink ($200) but can via pentair's screenlogic2 ($500+). but even then i'm not sure you can get the info into/do anything about it in C4.  as an example, the screenshot is real/live data.

perhaps when bPentair get a little further along, i can look at the differences between intellitouch and intellicenter and intelliconect.

bPentair.jpg

1 hour ago, bnet said:

also, as noted above, a direct connection gives you access to everything on the bus - iChem, iChlor, detail pump info, etc.  you can not get this info from iLink ($200) but can via pentair's screenlogic2 ($500+). but even then i'm not sure you can get the info into/do anything about it in C4.  as an example, the screenshot is real/live data.

perhaps when bPentair get a little further along, i can look at the differences between intellitouch and intellicenter and intelliconect.

I have screenlogic and do the same thing as you, use a rs232 usb adapter hooked up to the wireless screenlogic adapter inside my house. I am able to pull all the information using a js.node program that was developed for smartthings. Here is the link to the smartthings topic smartthings pentair.  There is links in that topic to the github as well as the smartthings driver (app).  This method allows me to change things as well including turning on various pumps, lights, etc. Given that this works for smartthings I'd imagine it would work for control4 in the very way you are showing above.  I hope you have plans to make the control4 driver available or someone else steps up to do this.   I have no idea how to make control4 drivers but if anyone needs any sort of assistance in terms of beta testing or anything like that to make screenlogic work I'd be happy to help. 

3 hours ago, bnet said:

my current pentair integration is probably the weakest and least reliable component in my setup.  part of the issue is the c4 pentair driver (functionality and including an issue or two i have with the c4 pool proxy) and part the pentair iLink.

this is what you do, or more specifically, what i'm doing: i wrote a pool proxy driver "bPentair" (not released) with the ability to directly read/write to the Pentair serial bus.  disclaimer is that i have an intellitouch, not an intelliconect, but the intelliconect uses the same serial connection to talk to other pentair equipment.  by going direct, you can bypass MQTT (your entire network really) and not get caught by a change in pentair's MQTT interface and not require a separate box as noted above.  of course, you will need a serial connection between your c4 controller and pentiar but everyone added that during construction, right! also would need a $10 rs485<->rs232 protocol adapter and because i'm running this on my development ea1, i needed a $15 3.5mm to rs232 adapter.

bPentair.jpg

If you need Beta testers for an Intellicenter or IntelliTouch driver, I am in! I have both.

In all fairness it’s not control4 shitting the bed on this it’s pentair. Intellicenter is often offline it’s often buggy and overall the developers need to all be fired its ridiculous, but I guess when you hire the guy that was a pool cleaner to write your software, Intellicenter is what you get

6 hours ago, bnet said:

of course, you will need a serial connection between your c4 controller and pentiar but everyone added that during construction, right!

Hello, 

This is solved by using the Pentair 522620 -  Point to point RS485 wireless bridge.

It has excellent range, better than Wi-Fi and easier than running cable.

522620-a_x700.jpg?v=1574587699

ScreenLogic_Interface_Wireless_Connection_Kit_for_IntelliTouch_and_EasyTouch_Systems_English.pdf

Intellicenter - There is an C4 driver by C4 - I have no experience with it.

As a side note, Pentair sells an upgrade interface panel to take IntelliTouch/EasyTouch up to the latest intellicenter.

I debated about the upgrade to intellicenter, but, have invested in screenlogic2  and am happy with what I have.

Adding C4 to IntelliTouch/EasyTouch would be very nice.

Documentation.pdf intellicenter-upgrade-kit-brochure.pdf

17 hours ago, blackfiveo1 said:

In all fairness it’s not control4 shitting the bed on this it’s pentair. Intellicenter is often offline it’s often buggy and overall the developers need to all be fired its ridiculous, but I guess when you hire the guy that was a pool cleaner to write your software, Intellicenter is what you get

there is enough head scratching for all the players here but generally, my issues with c4 relate more to functionality:

-aside from a few bugs, the pool proxy generally needs updating.  variable speed pumps, specialized lighting, chlorinators and chemical samplers are not that uncommon but not naturally supported by the proxy.  an update to thermostat_v2 style extra would be nice step in the right direction.

-the c4 driver has some questionable implementation.  15+ query commands cycling every 30is seconds is probably not necessary (in fairness, not all of these make it to the bus as the iLink gobbles some up).  no retry when a command fails (there are ACK and interface busy replies that could, but are not, used keep a msg from going into a black hole).

-as much as i want to fault the iLink, i'm not so sure.  i have not seen a command go out successfully that wasn't acted on by Pentair.  iLink's primary issue is that in an effort to simplify  inner-connectivity, it has lost all but the most basic functionality.

-the Pentair bus is busy and a mess.  there is clearly 3rd party hardware branded as Pentair that speak their own language and have their own packet structure mixed in with native Pentair packets.  but again, i have yet to turn on a pump or flip a aux/relay on my intellitouch and have the system not act on it.

the overall issue seems to be that when you layer abstraction on abstraction on abstraction, something will get dropped.

Is there any pool system that Control4 is good at controlling? I have Jandy automation system and C4 integration is terrible. Sounds like Pentair is also awful. Seems odd to have a home automation system that cannot adequately control pool equipment.

15 hours ago, am350z said:

Is there any pool system that Control4 is good at controlling? I have Jandy automation system and C4 integration is terrible. Sounds like Pentair is also awful. Seems odd to have a home automation system that cannot adequately control pool equipment.

What is the problem you are having with Jandy integration?

I am doing pool control on a more basic way with relays.  I have a relay connected to the firefighter's switch on the heater and a relay driving the pool pump.  I would like to have so much more but it seems like a real disappoing area of integration.

4 hours ago, zaphod said:

I am doing pool control on a more basic way with relays.  I have a relay connected to the firefighter's switch on the heater and a relay driving the pool pump.  I would like to have so much more but it seems like a real disappoing area of integration.

This.  I resort to Pentair’s own app most of the time (which is OK to good - ScreenLogic and IntelliCentre - but definitely not great!)

• 1 year later...

Can't believe this post is over a year old but... bPentair is ready to see the sunshine.

I have been using bPentair as my primary pool controller for several months and am ready to release it to a few testers who have an IntelliTouch.  Based on packet captures, I *believe* bPentair will also work with an IntelliCenter and EasyTouch but this is not confirmed.

Here are the highlights:

-Standard C4 Pool Proxy UI

-Direct serial connection to Pentair - no iLink ($500+) and no ScreenLogic ($600+)

-Aux circuits auto populate/name (supports up to 19)

-Command resend logic

-Aux state conditionals for programming logic

-iChem: PH (setpoint/actual/alarm), ORP (setpoint/actual/alarm), LSI (actual/alarm), Salt (actual/alarm)

-Intellibright / Intelliglow support via Aux

-Pump status: RPMs and watts (read-only)

-Events: (1) PH/ORP/Salt/LSI (plus/minus user config setting via aux) (2) no flow

-History Agent: (1) alarm events (2) 'End of Cycle' PH/ORP/Salt actuals

You will need an rs485 to rs232 protocol adapter.  I am using this ($23): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EAE23H4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  If your controller has 3.5mm IR ports, you will also need a DB9 adapter.  For my EA1, I used this ($15): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QSQVBM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still working on the formal documentation.  Driver price is TBD (but of course complimentary for the 'contributing' testers).

You can run your existing pool driver of choice and bPentair side-by-side if you don't want to jump in with 2 feet.  I suggest bSerialSplit to virtually split the input serial connection between multiple drivers on the same system and/or bSerialProxy to "remote" a serial connection to another controller.  Both were actually written to support bPentair's development.

Lastly, I am absolutely terrible with these forums - if you ever need to get in touch with me quickly (or at all) please email blucas@bnet4solutions.com

Thanks!

-b

bPentair 1.jpg

bPentair 2.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.