C4 Forums | Control4

Composer Pro

And for the dealers that feel threatened - if the perception is that this is a user friendly system then you will probably do more installs. Get people on the big stuff - don't nickel and dime for the small stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but going around in circles here that's a dealer choice.

Clearly your nickel and dime dealer is getting less recommendations than mine that does not sweat this small stuff.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure. And that is why some people are charging 25-40 dollars to ID a single switch (I have 80), upto 500 to install an access point etc. That's reasonable I presume?

What's reasonable is relative, I'd say the price of many homes are not reasonable for what your getting. But other think they are and this is why they sell them.

$500 for a standard wireless router is a bit much but if it's a WAP on a network with multiple access points and I'm running cat5 to the new location then no that's cheap.

Everything is about scope and then it's relative to the persons income or net worth and their ability or knowledge.

My point of view is simple

Upgrade HE so you can add and remove devices, lock it to the MAC address of the controller.

No big issue job done.

Control4 get more money, shares holders are happy.

Perfect. I would make it just give them Pro locked to controller instead of an upgrade to HE.  Done. All happy.

Sure. And that is why some people are charging 25-40 dollars to ID a single switch (I have 80), upto 500 to install an access point etc. That's reasonable I presume?

What is the salary of the person doing this work in your area?

A good rule of thumb for professional services charge out rate is 4x salary.

1 goes in salary.

1 goes in salary overhead (medical insurance, payroll processing other insurance etc etc

1 goes to general business overhead. Liability showroom and office rent

1 goes to the owner for profit and operational losses.

So is the Guy that id's the switch in 15 m worth a salary of 40 an hour?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

After 11 pages, it still comes down to choice.  Control4 is a dealer installed system where the end user does not have access to the Pro software PERIOD.  

This may change, it may not, who knows.  If you don't like the business model, don't buy the product.  Sell all your gear and start over with a DIY product.  There are plenty of them out there.

Why is this so hard to understand?

If you don't like your dealer, find another one.  If there are no other dealers in your area, buy off of ebay or here and have someone off of this forum remotely program.

Control4 is not the cheapest product on the market.  If you can afford to buy it in the first place, then you should be able to afford to pay the freight.

After 11 pages, it still comes down to choice. Control4 is a dealer installed system where the end user does not have access to the Pro software PERIOD.

This may change, it may not, who knows. If you don't like the business model, don't buy the product. Sell all your gear and start over with a DIY product. There are plenty of them out there.

Why is this so hard to understand?

If you don't like your dealer, find another one. If there are no other dealers in your area, buy off of ebay or here and have someone off of this forum remotely program.

Control4 is not the cheapest product on the market. If you can afford to buy it in the first place, then you should be able to afford to pay the freight.

It's not that hard, it's just some of us like to be able to add bits every now and again, without calling a dealer.

Change is good, I bet you still buy CD's

Here's the thing, this thread would have died long ago but everyone wants to be the last to say something and throw a jab... Why does everyone get so damn defensive about the subject. Especially those who aren't dealers but argue as if they are?

This is just nonsense... Don't post and this thread will die.

I've got agree here... I change a bluray player maybe once ever 3-5 years and TV's about 5-8 years (maybe). Pre-amps and amps almost never, a good preamp amp or receiver should last a long time.

Receivers don't last that long at all. My first receiver was bought in 2002 - prior to HDMI being readily available in AVRs. In 2006 I bought a new AVR, but it only had three HDMIs - you had to pay serious money to get more than that. So a few months ago I bought a new AVR. And the issue is that this will to likely properly support 4k and HDMI 2.0 which will soon become required.

And I replace the primary TV, which is the one connected to C4, about every 2-3 years. 16 months ago I went to a Sharp 80" and in a couple of more years I could see going to a similar sized 4K TV.

Receivers don't last that long at all. My first receiver was bought in 2002 - prior to HDMI being readily available in AVRs. In 2006 I bought a new AVR, but it only had three HDMIs - you had to pay serious money to get more than that. So a few months ago I bought a new AVR. And the issue is that this will to likely properly support 4k and HDMI 2.0 which will soon become required.

And I replace the primary TV, which is the one connected to C4, about every 2-3 years. 16 months ago I went to a Sharp 80" and in a couple of more years I could see going to a similar sized 4K TV.

My AVR is 6 or 7 years old and going strong, had 7 HDMI inputs. I have no reason to buy a new tv when the ones I have work well and have no issues. When something dies I buy new, but that's just me. I spend my money on traveling, retirement, and good food and liquor.

Zaphod and FireM make great points.

The point is, we are all different.

Long story short: this is precisely why the model has to change

What some dealer or guy "thinks" is best for the customer or the next guy: what they will or won't buy, or when or how often they will upgrade their TV's, or their kids move rooms etc, has nothing to do with it..

That is just the dealers personal opinion...

Hasn't it occurred to you guys, that the end user might not want you (the dealer) to know when a hardware upgrade is going on in their private home? 

That the end user might not want you (the dealer) to express your own personal opinion on what I should or should not want to do within my house?

This is precisely what get's up end users noses..

The private home is sacrosanct

If you don't know what this means, then google.

We call it our private home, because it's.. ummm.... supposed to be ...well.... private

What cheeses folks off is they have to make a call to dealers to have some simple little label change.

I don't want my dealer to know I've got a private little room called "spanking parlour"

Don't you dealer guys get this?

It's ALL ABOUT PRIVACY

That is a great point. I wanted a contact sensor on my safe door so that I could get a message if someone opened it. Problem is I don't want to show anyone where that safe is and even that I have a safe,,,,?

Just have your dealer put it on another door. After he's gone you can rename it and move it to the other door.

Infact just ask him to connect a door sensor to the input you want to use. You don't have to of physically installed it yet.

Have the dealer put in a Random Name and in a random room, you wouldn't want it named Vault anyways if your that worried about security.

They never have to be at your place and it should take 1 min for him to put it in your project and identify it.

Archived