C4 Forums | Control4

Apple announces Homekit - Threat or Opportunity?

Fail without out Apple branded products and being open source protocol for Android.

1. Nest is not going to be first on board, and they are certainly the most visible in the market to the average consumer.

2. Large vendors (Lutron's of the world) aren't going to want to support two platforms.

3. MANY households are mixed OS's

Would a common protocol help the industry, absolutely.

The "average" consumer still has no clue what or who Nest is.... They know what is sold and has the biggest display at the big box and they know Apple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The average consumer may not know what a Nest is but they may think it is cool to be able to control their t-stat from their iPhone or to have their lights turn on automatically when they arrive home.  If they can buy products that can do that for $200 at Best Buy rather than a lot more from a C4 dealer then you will see more adoption of HA.

A threat to C4.  I currently own the following web-connected devices that are not integrated into C4:   IrrigationCaddy, The price of drivers is often very high compared to the benefit, especially when the existing, albeit standalone, apps for these devices are pretty good.  

If I knew about the OpenSprinkler Pi before I bought my IrrigationCaddy then I would have bought it instead.

The price of 0 dollars is too high? The irrigation caddy driver is free....

Complain to HunterDouglas that the driver isn't free, we have offered many times to sell it to them.  Some within the company would like to buy it, but they are well aware of the need.  Just to large of a company for someone to make a decision.

I ask if when you got your shades were they free? Most likely not, nor are they cheap.

• 1 year later...

From my understanding it will be unified under a singular app plus integration to siri. I see this as apple's attempt to take on technology such as UPnP (think Belkin's WeMo app and devices).  For most people this will be a great introduction to home automation.  Having said that though it'll be more like a universal remote for your home rather than a more automated experience. Either way i think this is a great step forward for mass market home automation especially in terms of a unified protocol for devices.  Home Kit actually falls inline with what apple does best.  Keeping it simple.  By elimating complexities of a always on hub and by making an app that talks to devices 1 to 1 they can ensure that it will always work with little to no tech experience required.  Basically this is a apple's expansion of what Belkin does with its WeMo app.

Hopefully this protocol will be available for integration with other non Apple systems such as Control4, Crestron, AMX, Savant, etc.  This will make integration to products extremely easily.  It will also mean alot more products that are more affordable.

Will it eliminate Control4 and other existing automation systems? Heck no.  Will it make people understand what home automation is so that i don't need to explain what i do for a living? YES!

Alan,

You have done some amazing things with Control4 Integration, is there anything new in iOS 9 / Siri API's that would allow a 3rd Party to provide "real" Siri integration with Control4?  I don't want all of HomeKit, just real Siri integration (without a VoicePod or hacked web server) because I always have my phone with me.  

Or does someone already have a driver for Siri integration?

Thanks,

Charles

Alan,

You have done some amazing things with Control4 Integration, is there anything new in iOS 9 / Siri API's that would allow a 3rd Party to provide "real" Siri integration with Control4?  I don't want all of HomeKit, just real Siri integration (without a VoicePod or hacked web server) because I always have my phone with me.  

Thanks,

Charles

With the way siri works no.  There used to be a hack way of doing it using the proxy method but this got shut down by Apple.  Basically what happens is that every time you talk to siri it goes off to Apple's servers where they process your command and send the result back to you.  The proxy method intercepts the siri command and returns custom notifications.  Unfortunately this method doesn't work anymore though it was cool when it did work.

• 4 weeks later...

Alan,

Thanks,

Charles

Hey Charles,

I setup real siri integration today and documented how to do it here:

https://c4drivers.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/homekit-for-control4/

• 3 years later...
11 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Can tell Charlie is in Charge  

I totally agree that Charlie is great and I don't think there's a better fit for CTO at Control4, and he's done wonders in the time he's been here (getting OS 3.0 out the door with a level of quality that was required), but I'll also say that Martin Plaehn as CEO took the company up a lot of notches during the time he was leading the company, and without Martin, we wouldn't have Charlie.

:)

I'm looking forward to seeing how John Heyman leads the combined company.

From what I've seen, the whole SnapAV team is very forward-thinking, and I have high hopes for the future.

RyanE

P.S.  Nothing I'm saying in this post should be construed to be an official communication of SnapAV+Control4, but I'm guessing they wouldn't mind me saying it...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.