C4 Forums | Control4

An article on the future challenges of Control4

Anzir

The wiring cost on a new construction is generally ridiculous. It's done by the lowest paid folks on the job site and the wire is a fraction of the cost of the high voltage. I just had a complete rewire, high voltage, of a 3500sqft home with conduit done for 8k. That's by a licensed electrician who's hourly rate is considerably higher then a low voltage guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm not sure about your market, but our wiring guys earn better than the average electrician - though not a Master electrician. Certainly more than the apprentices and helpers that usually work for an electrician.

And good quality Cat6A shielded is hardly a 'fraction' of 10/2 - though certainly less.

Plus low voltage for complete home automation usually ends up being considerably more in feet than 10/2 across the house.

8k for 3500 sounds about right though.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That sounds like a plan. Get the wiring done properly with the end result in mind, bring the C4 install afterwards.

This points to why I specifically interviewed builders to see if they were comfortable with subs that I would include in the bid process.

Thats how I did it - hired my own sub for the automation part. Most people don't want the hassle - they just want to know what the price is and then get stuck with paying too much for what they get.

And nothing's stopping you from hiring another C4 dealer to draw up plans for wiring - though I'd suggest you be upfront about someone else having to DO the wires, they'll likely charge you but substract the plan cost once you do the actual system (at least - that's what I'd expect)

My guess is that builder is marking up too - but yeah that seems on the high end to say the least, though it also depends if install of the devices etc is also included (still...)

This!

May not be the case here, but a lot of builders put huge mark up on extras. I've seen a few who consider anything outside an original wiring allowance an 'extra', they don't consider much beyond phone and cable jacks when drawing up plans.  Makes it impossible to compete without getting creative. 

Just a thought, but, doesn't require C4 dealer for wiring. I met with couple different HA folks and installed what I/we thought was standard setup for wiring to allow options on HA suppliers. Requirements for basic wiring are not complex. Shame you're getting those prices on hardware. My 2013 hardware prices are below. Since bought additional 250 controllers and SR250 remotes at same prices. I also got free SR250 remote deal C4 runs from time to time. I have about 20 dimmers at $110 each and programming labor was $99/hr and continues at that rate for ongoing support.

1 Control4 HC-250 Controller $599.00

1 Control4 SR-250 System Remote Control $199.00

1 Control4 HC-800 Controller $999.00

15k for structured wiring L-O-L I bought 5 spools of CAT6 for $700, and 1500ft of speaker wire, and paid a low voltage guy 1000$ to do my WHOLE house(new construction) and I have some much overkill its not even funny. $15k what a joke

That guy is probably also paying $100/ft for 3cm granite and the builder is getting it installed for $40/ft

15k for structured wiring L-O-L I bought 5 spools of CAT6 for $700, and 1500ft of speaker wire, and paid a low voltage guy 1000$ to do my WHOLE house(new construction) and I have some much overkill its not even funny. $15k what a joke

That guy is probably also paying $100/ft for 3cm granite and the builder is getting it installed for $40/ft

The $1000 to the LV Guy. Did that include the termination parts, termination and testing?

Never good when the insiders don't have any "skin in the game"

Their monthly paycheck is skin in the game.

Their unvested options are skin in the game.

Gotta realize Enron taught many that you should not have all your investment eggs in one basket.

If you work for 'the man', do you have your entire retirement account and investment portfolio in the man's stock?

Gotta realize Enron taught many that you should not have all your investment eggs in one basket.

If you work for 'the man', do you have your entire retirement account and investment portfolio in the man's stock?

Come on, diversification of your wealth is one thing, but the C-Suite selling their entire holdings in 2014 and now holding "0" common stock between them is totally different. And it appears the VCs may be preparing for an exit...

Agree with this to some point, but really any other BOD would have removed the current CEO and other senior management with such actions.  

?? what does that mean - something I should know about?

I dunno. A while back you bought the HC250 and you bought a android/iDevice licence. 599 plus licence.

Now the licence is included and the price went up. 750.

So some of the MSRP change is bundling.

Come on, diversification of your wealth is one thing, but the C-Suite selling their entire holdings in 2014 and now holding "0" common stock between them is totally different. And it appears the VCs may be preparing for an exit...

Nothing unvested. Really?

Agree with this to some point, but really any other BOD would have removed the current CEO and other senior management with such actions.

No they would not. Their FAs are giving them smart advice. Diversify.

We'll one is protecting wealth earned for work already performed. The other is generating additional wealth by delivering results that make the stock price and your stock options increase in value.

Both align BOD incentives and Stockholder incentives / targets.

As an individual why would you be betting everything on CTRL? Pay, Pension, Liquid Assets etc b

Show me one other publicly-traded company that is DOING WELL where the CEO, CFO, VP of Marketing, VP of Business Development, and VP of Product Development have no common stock.

This doesn't given them any incentive to even sell out to someone else.

Are you telling me CTRL upper management holds no interest in the company? That's crazy if true.

I'm just relaying what the article identified in post #2 here said - the CEO, CFO, VP of Marketing, VP of Business Development, and VP of Product Development have no common stock.

The article went on to say: the board members representing two of the three largest shareholders and original backers, Foundation Capital and Frazier Ventures, announced they were resigning from the board of directors effective April 28, 2015. This may signal that these VC groups are going to begin selling their shares.

I'm just relaying what the article identified in post #2 here said - the CEO, CFO, VP of Marketing, VP of Business Development, and VP of Product Development have no common stock.

The article went on to say: the board members representing two of the three largest shareholders and original backers, Foundation Capital and Frazier Ventures, announced they were resigning from the board of directors effective April 28, 2015. This may signal that these VC groups are going to begin selling their shares.

Just because they don't have common stock doesn't mean they don't have preferred shares

Are you telling me CTRL upper management holds no interest in the company? That's crazy if true.

Robert Born

William Elmore

Len Jordan

Scott Petty

Steven Vassallo

Each have over 1m shares about 2m average so at 12 bucks a share that's $12m+ tied up in CTRL

William West

Chris Paisley

Under 300k shares. That's still $3.6m

Dan Strong and

James Arnold are at 0 holding. Not sure what options they have. Both automatically sold in the money option expiration in November.

This is all on Yahoo finance.

Archived