C4 Forums | Control4

Carrier Infinity with control4

malfaqih92

• 1 month later...

On 7/18/2018 at 11:42 AM, chesterwilson said:

I tried to buy the driver from this company and was quoted $355 for the driver and install.  They had me add them on to the C4 system and needed my Carrier login (I used a generic one) and then never responded to multiple emails, calls.  I wouldn't recommend them, unfortunately, no other options to integrate. 

Did you ever get this working? I had my C4 dealer on site and tried calling them with no success. They have responded in the past though. Can't find any user reviews of this driver. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 7:47 AM, BostonWala said:

Did you ever get this working? I had my C4 dealer on site and tried calling them with no success. They have responded in the past though. Can't find any user reviews of this driver. Thanks in advance.

I was pretty much given the run around.  I had to email them multiple times over a month long time frame and told me it was in queue to be completed.  Finally, they said that I had to be on 2.10 in order for it to work.  I'd stay away from them.

22 hours ago, chesterwilson said:

I was pretty much given the run around.  I had to email them multiple times over a month long time frame and told me it was in queue to be completed.  Finally, they said that I had to be on 2.10 in order for it to work.  I'd stay away from them.

Thanks Chesterwilson. Another forum member seems to have been able to get it to work and offered to help me out. I've unfortunately not been able to connect with him as yet. 

This is funny - I just joined this forum minutes ago, primarily to learn about a C4 thermostat with a Carrier Infinity HVAC. And right at the top is this post about that subject.  How timely!

I have a Carrier single speed Performance Series HVAC in a newly built house.  Problem is, I was supposed to have a Variable Speed compressor, which means they have to change out what I have for the Infinity Variable speed unit.  We already have 3 Control 4 Thermostats controlling our HVAC.  (Fortunately we have this, as we checked remotely one day while we were away from our FL home & saw the temps were in the mid-80's, and we were not going to be back to the house for at least a month. Had a neighbor go in the house, and we found that the builder turned off our A/C while he was there doing punch list work, but "forgot" to turn back on.).    Anyway - it seems from what I am reading here that the C4 thermostats will not work with the Infinity HVAC system?

That seems to be consistent with everything that is happening in our new build using C4.  We had door Schlage locks installed, but our C4 dealer said they are not compatible with Control4.  We had automatic window shades installed - C4 dealer said they are not compatible with C4.  We had DoorBird doorbells installed - not compatible with C4.  All of these were chosen by the Builder in conjunction with his C4 installer.  The only thing that is working on C4 is our lighting.   I am trying to understand the purpose of even having COntrol 4 if each item that can be controlled needs its own app.

45 minutes ago, SRQUser said:

I am trying to understand the purpose of even having COntrol 4 if each item that can be controlled needs its own app.

In that scenario, there is little/no purpose.  One advantage of C4 is centralized control and management.  The downsides are that the hardware has to be picked carefully to ensure compatibility, and that means picking from a smaller range of hardware (e.g., not Doorbird, not Schlage but Baldwin, Yale, or Kwikset and only specific models) and that the hardware can be more expensive.  It's up to your builder and his C4 guy to make the right decisions.  Sounds like they didn't.

TL:DR - your builder screwed up/you.

55 minutes ago, SRQUser said:

This is funny - I just joined this forum minutes ago, primarily to learn about a C4 thermostat with a Carrier Infinity HVAC. And right at the top is this post about that subject.  How timely!

I have a Carrier single speed Performance Series HVAC in a newly built house.  Problem is, I was supposed to have a Variable Speed compressor, which means they have to change out what I have for the Infinity Variable speed unit.  We already have 3 Control 4 Thermostats controlling our HVAC.  (Fortunately we have this, as we checked remotely one day while we were away from our FL home & saw the temps were in the mid-80's, and we were not going to be back to the house for at least a month. Had a neighbor go in the house, and we found that the builder turned off our A/C while he was there doing punch list work, but "forgot" to turn back on.).    Anyway - it seems from what I am reading here that the C4 thermostats will not work with the Infinity HVAC system?

That seems to be consistent with everything that is happening in our new build using C4.  We had door Schlage locks installed, but our C4 dealer said they are not compatible with Control4.  We had automatic window shades installed - C4 dealer said they are not compatible with C4.  We had DoorBird doorbells installed - not compatible with C4.  All of these were chosen by the Builder in conjunction with his C4 installer.  The only thing that is working on C4 is our lighting.   I am trying to understand the purpose of even having COntrol 4 if each item that can be controlled needs its own app.

I think regular (c4 & Nest) thermostats do work in a limited capacity with the Infinity system but will negate the variable fan function, which is the most people get the Infinity system in the first place. I've never tried it but have read past posts on this forum from members that have.

Also, there are a ton of drivers written for C4 that'll help with some of the things that you have listed here. Join the facebook Control4 page as well. I've had a bit of luck there though not as much as on here. There are some gurus on here that really know C4.

7 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

In that scenario, there is little/no purpose.  One advantage of C4 is centralized control and management.  The downsides are that the hardware has to be picked carefully to ensure compatibility, and that means picking from a smaller range of hardware (e.g., not Doorbird, not Schlage but Baldwin, Yale, or Kwikset and only specific models) and that the hardware can be more expensive.  It's up to your builder and his C4 guy to make the right decisions.  Sounds like they didn't.

TL:DR - your builder screwed up/you.

He sure did!   I looked at the C4 website, and our integrator is no longer listed as certified by COntrol 4.  And it looks like our builder & C4 Sub didn't speak to each other.   I didn't add that our cameras are not compatible, nor are the garage door openers they installed.    We do not have a fancy A/V system - seems that is a strength of C4.   I think Alexa would have been better?

An example of our builder: Our ceilings are being ripped out - in a new house - because the ductwork didn't fit, and the HVAC sub just squished where it couldn't go - so little A/C on one side of house.  And this is the 4th HVAC Sub since house build began.  That's just one example of how lousy this custom builder has become. 3 years ago he was getting rave reviews from his customers - now many are in lawsuits, and ALL have mold issues.

4 minutes ago, BostonWala said:

I think regular (c4 & Nest) thermostats do work in a limited capacity with the Infinity system but will negate the variable fan function, which is the most people get the Infinity system in the first place. I've never tried it but have read past posts on this forum from members that have.

Also, there are a ton of drivers written for C4 that'll help with some of the things that you have listed here. Join the facebook Control4 page as well. I've had a bit of luck there though not as much as on here. There are some gurus on here that really know C4.

YES - having the Variable speed functioning properly is the reason one would pay significantly more for the Infinity VS compressor.   For a zoned system in Florida, variable speed is very important.

25 minutes ago, SRQUser said:

He sure did!   I looked at the C4 website, and our integrator is no longer listed as certified by COntrol 4.  And it looks like our builder & C4 Sub didn't speak to each other.   I didn't add that our cameras are not compatible, nor are the garage door openers they installed.    We do not have a fancy A/V system - seems that is a strength of C4.   I think Alexa would have been better?

An example of our builder: Our ceilings are being ripped out - in a new house - because the ductwork didn't fit, and the HVAC sub just squished where it couldn't go - so little A/C on one side of house.  And this is the 4th HVAC Sub since house build began.  That's just one example of how lousy this custom builder has become. 3 years ago he was getting rave reviews from his customers - now many are in lawsuits, and ALL have mold issues.

Bummer.  Home builds are frustrating enough, sorry you're dealing with all that.

I might get bashed for saying this, but I did the unthinkable......

I wanted an ecobee thermostat so with a little investigation I was able to connect it to my infinity system (yes the wiring is different and you need to set up some dip switches).

Works great with the humidifier, too.

Personally I am a lot happier that when I had the infinity thermostat, and the temp control is better than before.  Not to mention the savings vs the Infinity route.

20 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

I wanted an ecobee thermostat so with a little investigation I was able to connect it to my infinity system (yes the wiring is different and you need to set up some dip switches).

Personally I am a lot happier that when I had the infinity thermostat, and the temp control is better than before.  Not to mention the savings vs the Infinity route.

Highly recommend ecobee

On 9/12/2018 at 9:12 AM, ekohn00 said:

ekohn00, how did you deal with the multiple zone system since anything outside the main thermostat for the infinity is just a temp sensor. Also, did you loose the variable fan speed capability? Would love to see what your wiring looked like. Thanks.

4 hours ago, BostonWala said:

ekohn00, how did you deal with the multiple zone system since anything outside the main thermostat for the infinity is just a temp sensor. Also, did you loose the variable fan speed capability? Would love to see what your wiring looked like. Thanks.

We have 2 zones, upstairs & down, 2 thermostats.  Thankfully there's no multi-zone on each unit.  I don't know if that's doable with ecobee.  

I still have variable speed. (its actually a multistage).    

The wiring is also in the manual.  I can't remember the HVAC website I got most info, but I attached a couple of diagrams that should help get you going.  

PS....I think its worth the time and research to make the change. I sold my carrier thermostat on eBay, which covers the cost for 1+ ecobee.  Now I can either use C4 to control the thermostat or my watch or HomeKit or Alexa.....  love the flexibility.  love the ecobee.   From what my normal HVAC guy tells me the real loss is the hidden maintain type settings on the inifinti thermostat.  he too made the change.

Carrier Infinity Legacy Wiring.pdf

Carrier Infinity Control Board.pdf

On 9/13/2018 at 4:58 PM, ekohn00 said:

We have 2 zones, upstairs & down, 2 thermostats.  Thankfully there's no multi-zone on each unit.  I don't know if that's doable with ecobee.  

I still have variable speed. (its actually a multistage).    

The wiring is also in the manual.  I can't remember the HVAC website I got most info, but I attached a couple of diagrams that should help get you going.  

PS....I think its worth the time and research to make the change. I sold my carrier thermostat on eBay, which covers the cost for 1+ ecobee.  Now I can either use C4 to control the thermostat or my watch or HomeKit or Alexa.....  love the flexibility.  love the ecobee.   From what my normal HVAC guy tells me the real loss is the hidden maintain type settings on the inifinti thermostat.  he too made the change.

Carrier Infinity Legacy Wiring.pdf

Carrier Infinity Control Board.pdf

Thanks so much for the info. I'll definitely be looking into it as its been a pain point for so long. Appreciate you sharing all this research as it will definitely save me a ton of time.

Cheers,

• 4 months later...

Anyone that's used the homeation driver to control the infinity carrier touch thermostats run into any issues?

The carrier app works no problem, and when I add in a thermostat driver it kind of pulls the settings... displays the right MAC, humidity and so on BUT when I go to control the thermostat through C4 it A - doesn't control the HVAC state, temperature and B - it displays the incorrect temperature AND set temperature from what the physical thermostat displays...

I've only used the driver temporarily (trial period) for a customer, who was deciding whether or not to integrate it into the system.

I tinkered with it for a day or 2 and had no problems.  For the 2 weeks they used it, they reported no problems with the control.  They just decided ~$300 to have it in C4 app wasn't worth it when they can just use the carrier app.

• 4 months later...

I have an installation that works after we were able to get the HVAC guy to swap the tstat because it wouldnt install its own firmware to 2.0. Integration is ok, no scheduling from c4 but it works. If you have the COR line i heard the ecobee driver controls those but havent tried those yet

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.