C4 Forums | Control4

4K media player

On 4/10/2020 at 12:37 AM, alanchow said:

I've been testing and developing drivers for media players for the past 15 years now and have come to find some preferences.  This all depends on the user though and i'll try to summarise it here.

Kaldeiscape

• Pros
    • Highest quality
    • Easiest to use
    • Highest quality movie store
    • Event feedback is by far the best
    • Server / Client model means that you can have multiple clients access the same library throughout the home.
    • Control4 driver supports library browsing and is smart enough to select the first unused client available in that room
  • Cons
    • Requires seperate server to client
    • Most expensive
    • Bluray discs need to be inserted into a Vault for playback of digital copies (due to legal complications)

Zappiti

• Pros
    • Hardware can playback every codec/container/format i have thrown at it including 4k HDR Bluray ISOs with menu
    • Storage can be on your own NAS or on internal HDD (upto 16tb on the Mini i have)
    • They have a NAS / Ripper if you want something easy to backup your own content.
    • Control4 driver supports library brownsing
  • Cons
    • Navigation through Control4 doesn't provide cover art through menu's (only on individual movie page) - This may change in the future if the API changes to support it.
    • Event feedback is not as detailed as Kodi or Kaleidescape.
    • LIbrary is on the client meaning you have to maintain multiple libraries if you have multiple clients.

Kodi

• Pros
    • Its software so you can install on various forms of supported hardware depending on your requirements!
      • From as low end as a raspberry pi
      • To a high end HTPC
    • Storage can be on your own NAS or on internal HDD.
    • Event feedback is fantastic
    • Control4 driver supports library browsing.
  • Cons
    • Experience can vary depending on hardware it is installed on
    • Requires user to maintain it
    • LIbrary is on the client meaning you have to maintain multiple libraries if you have multiple clients.

Plex

• Pros
    • Its software so you can install on various forms of supported hardware.
      • From as low end as a raspberry pi
      • To a high end HTPC
    • Server / Client model means that you can have multiple clients access the same library throughout the home.  Different users can get access to different content as well!
    • Control4 driver supports library browsing.
  • Cons
    • Client / Server model
    • Server needs to be extremely powerful as it needs to transcode content so lower end clients can play it back.  As such experience can vary depending on hardware it is installed on
    • Requires user to maintain it
    • Event feedback is not as detailed as Kodi or Kaleidescape.

At this point in time my personal preference is Zappiti.  If i wasn't invested into Kodi at my own home i would invest in Zappiti myself and will be what i recommend to integrators who want to find a replacement for Dune.

@alanchow - very useful feedback! Have you looked at Infuse?  I know the guys at Infuse we’re open to C4 integration previously.  I suspect that Infuse would be choice of many if there was genuine C4 Integration.  Not the same quality as Kaldeiscape but very user friendly for Apple fans.

2 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I’m not so sure... I’ve seen a number of other mentions 😉 but in fairness, pretty much only from those who are pro Apple 🤯

For clarity, I have used Kaleidescape (loved it but can’t afford it), Zappiti (loved it but did not like the C4 integration - this appears to have improved with Alan’s new drive), Plex (but just didn’t like it), Dune (bought these based on @Cyknight recommendation - had 3 and loved them at the time) and have used Infuse for the last 2 years  and am very happy.  I’ve partially integrated it using custom buttons and and up / down / left / right control on Apple TV, but not quite as cool as a mini app and no Meta Data. 😪

55 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I’m not so sure... I’ve seen a number of other mentions 😉 but in fairness, pretty much only from those who are pro Apple 🤯

The problem is lso two-fold. First, Infuse would need an API. Second, the AppleTV would need to have the API to pass it through.

That's where Apple is so different from Android/Linux  - it creates an additional barrier to overcome.

On 4/13/2020 at 3:28 AM, Cyknight said:

The problem is lso two-fold. First, Infuse would need an API. Second, the AppleTV would need to have the API to pass it through.

That's where Apple is so different from Android/Linux  - it creates an additional barrier to overcome.

This is the reason we have not delved into it.  Also there isn't enough demand for us to warrant investing R&D into it unless the manufacturer themselves wants to fund the development.

On 4/11/2020 at 8:35 AM, ILoveC4 said:

Ah - alright. I’m going to hold off then. Do us a favor and let us know if they update that. Once they do, I’m a buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sneak peak of the next update.  Note also supports grid/cover art view but its easier to navigate in list view.

600px.gif

I am sorry if this has been answered already, but does Zappiti play ISO formats?

I current have InFuse playing a large ISO library and would consider switching to Zappiti if I can play the ISO library and it passes through the same or better audio formats to my 7.4.1 sound system.

appreciate any feedback.

32 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Love it! How far out is this? Will absolutely be our next media player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably in a week.

13 minutes ago, C4 User said:

I am sorry if this has been answered already, but does Zappiti play ISO formats?

I current have InFuse playing a large ISO library and would consider switching to Zappiti if I can play the ISO library and it passes through the same or better audio formats to my 7.4.1 sound system.

appreciate any feedback.

Yep.  BD 4K ISOs run fine.  Check out their website and you can see what they support.

On 4/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, Cyknight said:

As you're the only one really that has mentioned it, I have my doubts on that. 😊

I'm an infuse user, but don't want to be. 

Explanation - I went from Kaledescape (the best solution that no one can afford) to Plex (yay something I can afford to upkeep and moved to BluRay then 4k).

Unfortunately Plex's client on AppleTV has performance issues with 4k. (not to mention the Synology NAS server has trouble if it has to transcribe audio).

Anyway, Infuse turns out to be a great client for Plex. But it's interface needs work, so I don't really want to be an infuse user....

Looking for feedback. I am thinking the Zappiti 4K Pro Cinema and the Ripper to hold all of my BluRays and DVD’s. I have relatively high end audio with 7.4.1. For those of you with experience, will I notice the difference between the Zappiti setup and AppleTV with InFuse?

Thank you so much in advance for sharing your experience.

4 hours ago, C4 User said:

Looking for feedback. I am thinking the Zappiti 4K Pro Cinema and the Ripper to hold all of my BluRays and DVD’s. I have relatively high end audio with 7.4.1. For those of you with experience, will I notice the difference between the Zappiti setup and AppleTV with InFuse?

I’ve used both in my main home but the sound setup at my home is 7.2 so not the same as your (better) setup. On my system, the sound quality was identical.  The advantage of Zappiti (on my setup) would be the C4 integration where Alan’s new driver looks pretty impressive!

13 hours ago, C4 User said:

This first thing I'd want to check is the codec/decoders/etc available with InFuse Pro (notice I said Pro, which is a small cost) vs Zappiti. And any limitations on the AppleTV.

For me, I have too have a fairly high end audio set up, though only 5.1, with 4k...  I'm using AppleTV/Plex/Infuse because of the costs and ease to distribute throughout the house, etc...

Decoding should be on a pre-amp, so if formats are supported, they should sound very similar between Infuse and Zappi.

5 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

This first thing I'd want to check is the codec/decoders/etc available with InFuse Pro (notice I said Pro, which is a small cost) vs Zappiti. And any limitations on the AppleTV.

For me, I have too have a fairly high end audio set up, though only 5.1, with 4k...  I'm using AppleTV/Plex/Infuse because of the costs and ease to distribute throughout the house, etc...

Decoding should be on a pre-amp, so if formats are supported, they should sound very similar between Infuse and Zappi.

This is a very good point... if you use Infuse, it is definitely worth spending the money on Pro.

Heres an update as of today.   With the additional functionality implemented its my new favorite integrated media player solution for Control4 for local content.

• Grid View
  • Cover art support in Grid View and List View
  • Added Favoriting support (only in grid view)
  • Added ability to programatically select movie through composer programming
  • Changed Red, Green, Yellow and Blue commands to be programmable.
  • Removed Zappiti logo from missing artwork
  • Added 'Auto Room Select' functionality.  This will allow end user to utilise Zappiti app to select media and have the driver automatically turn the room on upon detection of playback.
  • Added 'Room Off After Seconds' functionality.  This will allow end user to  utilise Zappiti app to select media and have the driver automatically turn the room off x seconds after the state changes from playing to stopped.

Sneak peak of grid view and favoriting below.

Zappiti-Favoriting.gif

21 hours ago, alanchow said:

Heres an update as of today.   With the additional functionality implemented its my new favorite integrated media player solution for Control4 for local content.

• Grid View
  • Cover art support in Grid View and List View
  • Added Favoriting support (only in grid view)
  • Added ability to programatically select movie through composer programming
  • Changed Red, Green, Yellow and Blue commands to be programmable.
  • Removed Zappiti logo from missing artwork
  • Added 'Auto Room Select' functionality.  This will allow end user to utilise Zappiti app to select media and have the driver automatically turn the room on upon detection of playback.
  • Added 'Room Off After Seconds' functionality.  This will allow end user to  utilise Zappiti app to select media and have the driver automatically turn the room off x seconds after the state changes from playing to stopped.

Sneak peak of grid view and favoriting below.

Zappiti-Favoriting.gif

Can Zappiti play rar/unzippd files from a NAS? Can it play music M3U files?

1 hour ago, blitz118 said:

Can Zappiti play rar/unzippd files from a NAS? Can it play music M3U files?

I know it can play files from a NAS but why would you want to zip / rar them?  Anyway its probably something you should ask Zappiti themselves as i have only been using their products on our test bench.

http://zappiti.com/support.html

I am testing the Zappiti 4k HDR and love the interface, Alan did a great job as usual, but the movie playing / not playing events are unreliable, they fire for no reason, both while watching a movie and when player is idle... so any theather-like automation based on those event is not working properly at this time, until they fix the problem in Zappiti video.

Rick

5 hours ago, chiAVguy said:

I recently picked up the chow driver for my Zap 4K HDR duo. All I can say is wow. The interface is rock solid as is the overall operation. After I rescanned my files (5TB worth), I did a refresh of the navigators and boom. Once again chow nails it. 

973630FC-DDE2-4823-85F9-93089741B2CD.png

FYI the media is pulled in on the fly.  No refresh navigator required.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.