C4 Forums | Control4

Apple TV

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Home Theater Advisors said:

Or use Jesse smiths IR driver (see Facebook group). IP driver is not supported by control4 for appleTV 4 or 4K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bah, nonsense. It's not specifically tested on it, and there's a disclaimer that it's not desigend for use but it works fine for most scenarios, at least for most video purposes. There's even a knowledge base article about how to set it up as the interface is different.

4 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Bah, nonsense. It's not specifically tested on it, and there's a disclaimer that it's not desigend for use but it works fine for most scenarios, at least for most video purposes. There's even a knowledge base article about how to set it up as the interface is different.

What you say is correct, but my understanding is that if you are having issues with it, support will not help, as the 4 and 4K are not supported.  All of the c4 empoyees on the c4 programmers facebook group say the IP driver isn't supported for the newer apple TVs, everytime it comes up.  And they all recommend Jesse's IR driver.  So while the IP driver works for now, use at your own risk.  I for one do not want to have dozens or more installs with an unsupported driver in them that could be broken at any time.

7 minutes ago, Home Theater Advisors said:

All of the c4 empoyees on the c4 programmers facebook group

And? I don't even bother looking there.

8 minutes ago, Home Theater Advisors said:

if you are having issues with it, support will not help

Sure they will, unless it's known issues with specific apps.

8 minutes ago, Home Theater Advisors said:

I for one do not want to have dozens or more installs with an unsupported driver in them that could be broken at any time.

So stick to the slow driver 😉

In the end ANY driver could be broken at any time. Heck, a TV firmware update broke HDBaseT on Samsung TVs.....losing an AppleTV for a day or so MAYBE at SOME point ... I'll take.

So stick to the slow driver

In the end ANY driver could be broken at any time. Heck, a TV firmware update broke HDBaseT on Samsung TVs.....losing an AppleTV for a day or so MAYBE at SOME point ... I'll take.

Just trying to help people out and give them full info. To each his own on how he runs his business.

43 minutes ago, therockhr said:

Any news on the official driver/integration mentioned awhile back?

I wonder if Control4 is developing a new voice remote that would work with Siri. 

I don't think we'll hear anything until it's officially announced/released. With ISE coming up next week, though, the odds are much higher that we may hear about at least something new in the C4 world (Apple TV related or not) very soon. 

17 hours ago, Home Theater Advisors said:

Just trying to help people out and give them full info. To each his own on how he runs his business.

As am I - the way you stated it the driver is 'dead' for 4K and up models, which is completely inaccurate.

4 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

As am I - the way you stated it the driver is 'dead' for 4K and up models, which is completely inaccurate.

Not to beat a dead horse, but not sure how "It does work for the most part.  But there are idiosyncrasies you may run into." makes it sounds like a 'dead' driver.  

18 hours ago, therockhr said:

Any news on the official driver/integration mentioned awhile back?

Nothing of the sort was announced - Apple announced they were working together with a few companies (of which Control4 was mentioned) to offer some form of integration.

What that entails though was and is a complete guess. Not even clear if it was geared to AppleTV or Siri or something else entirely.

No-one here I'm sure is against a new driver that is fully supported and maintained by both sides - and it is certainly one of the more obvious things to address, but if this is the case or not...

I wonder if Control4 is developing a new voice remote that would work with Siri. 

I hope not. Developing voice control in a remote seems like a step backwards at this point. Besides, locking into just ONE voice control 'protocol'  inside their own devices doesn't seem like a great plan either.

Just now, Home Theater Advisors said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but not sure how "It does work for the most part.  But there are idiosyncrasies you may run into." makes it sounds like a 'dead' driver.  

But that didn't come up until your second post. When people fired back that it works fine for them.

On 2/1/2019 at 6:56 AM, Home Theater Advisors said:

Or use Jesse smiths IR driver (see Facebook group). IP driver is not supported by control4 for appleTV 4 or 4K

THAT was the original post that I replied to.

Note that I'm not particular for or against either method - indeed in most setups I actually have an IR hooked up to the AppleTVs and an IR driver in the project anyway. End user only 'sees' the IP driver because it's the one that reacts much better - but the IR driver is there so I can re-sync the IP driver remotely with the client's eyes on-site (or if things truly come apart switch to it). My reason for it being there is NOT because the 'driver doesn't work' - it's because Apple's current number 1 troubleshooting guideline is to restore everything to factory default...

THAT was the original post that I replied to.

Note that I'm not particular for or against either method - indeed in most setups I actually have an IR hooked up to the AppleTVs and an IR driver in the project anyway. End user only 'sees' the IP driver because it's the one that reacts much better - but the IR driver is there so I can re-sync the IP driver remotely with the client's eyes on-site (or if things truly come apart switch to it). My reason for it being there is NOT because the 'driver doesn't work' - it's because Apple's current number 1 troubleshooting guideline is to restore everything to factory default...

Ok

12 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Nothing of the sort was announced - Apple announced they were working together with a few companies (of which Control4 was mentioned) to offer some form of integration.

What that entails though was and is a complete guess. Not even clear if it was geared to AppleTV or Siri or something else entirely.

No-one here I'm sure is against a new driver that is fully supported and maintained by both sides - and it is certainly one of the more obvious things to address, but if this is the case or not...

I hope not. Developing voice control in a remote seems like a step backwards at this point. Besides, locking into just ONE voice control 'protocol'  inside their own devices doesn't seem like a great plan either.

You’re insufferable. 

Archived