C4 Forums | Control4

OS3 VPN connection issues

8 hours ago, coredyn said:

Has anyone else had success with the new iOS c4 app connecting outside of the same wifi connection using a vpn? Since I updated I can no longer connect remotely...

I have my VPN setup using openvpn.

Having the same issue.  OS 2 app worked fine with the same VPN.

Hi Folks,

I'm the manager of the Mobile and Embedded UI teams at Control4. Thank you for bringing this to our attention! I can assure you we didn't intentionally disable VPN use. However, VPN use through the app isn't an officially supported feature. Currently, 4Sight is the only supported way to connect remotely.

Our apps rely on multicast networking and SSDP to find the primary controller's IP address. Most VPNs are not enabled to transmit multicast packets to a client device. 

In OS 2, the apps had a manual IP address setting. By using the manual IP address setting, you could bypass the need for multicast. To simplify app configuration for the customer, we removed the manual IP setting. We are currently evaluating bringing back the manual IP address setting to provide a workaround for misconfigured networks.

Also, VPN does work on Android as long as the app has connected one time. VPN works on Android due to a speed optimization that caches the last known IP address. As long as the address hasn't changed, VPN will continue to work. We are also evaluating adding that optimization into iOS to speed up the iOS connection time overall. As a side benefit, that will also enable VPN access, if we decide to add it to iOS. 

Thanks again!

Joel

1 hour ago, JoelC said:

Hi Folks,

I'm the manager of the Mobile and Embedded UI teams at Control4. Thank you for bringing this to our attention! I can assure you we didn't intentionally disable VPN use. However, VPN use through the app isn't an officially supported feature. Currently, 4Sight is the only supported way to connect remotely.

Our apps rely on multicast networking and SSDP to find the primary controller's IP address. Most VPNs are not enabled to transmit multicast packets to a client device. 

In OS 2, the apps had a manual IP address setting. By using the manual IP address setting, you could bypass the need for multicast. To simplify app configuration for the customer, we removed the manual IP setting. We are currently evaluating bringing back the manual IP address setting to provide a workaround for misconfigured networks.

Also, VPN does work on Android as long as the app has connected one time. VPN works on Android due to a speed optimization that caches the last known IP address. As long as the address hasn't changed, VPN will continue to work. We are also evaluating adding that optimization into iOS to speed up the iOS connection time overall. As a side benefit, that will also enable VPN access, if we decide to add it to iOS. 

Thanks again!

Joel

Thanks for the response Joel!  Glad to see more C4 employees on the forum to answer these kinds of questions.  Hope you guys decide to bring it back to iOS!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 7:39 PM, JoelC said:

Also, VPN does work on Android as long as the app has connected one time.

That's only true if WiFi happens to be active 🙍‍♂️. If you're out & about and not connected to any WiFi, but have your VPN active and tunnelling over the cellular IP network you get:

Unable to Connect

Please join a WiFi network connected to your system, or contact your dealer to enable Anywhere Access through 4Sight.

• 3 months later...

I have found that using OpenVPN on iOS (13.3 as it happens) when connected to 4G does NOT enable remote connection to my C4 system but if I am connected to another wifi network via VPN it does. I use this maybe 2x per year to turn on garden lights before returning home via a boat at night (ie cannot be wifi connected) and do not want to pay an annual subscription to 4sight for this sole (trivial) purpose, so would really like to find a solution to connecting via VPN+4G to do this. Any suggestions? (as someone else has said, it worked fine under C4 OS2).

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 2:39 AM, JoelC said:

Hi Folks,

Thanks again!

Joel

Hello Everybody,

It was very helpful to use app via VPN to check some changes and solve troubleshooting consideing that we are C4 dealers. 

And it is quite strange to ask to client to pay 99$ to make us possible to connect remotely and even more strange to pay 99$ by ourselves, to make our job

And what is more strange that after installing OS 3.x.x (doesn't remember which one) application was working via VPN remotely for some time and later stopped forever.

So I bet it worked in OS3 and then C4 turned it off, it is very unusual to "simplify" something not from the start but in the middle. 

You wrote that you are "currently evaluating bringing back the manual IP address setting to provide a workaround for misconfigured networks" - will it happen this century ?

Maybe we don't know and there is another solution ?

@Costa I'm sorry that you are feeling frustrated by the app's lack of VPN support. Unfortunately, VPNs haven't ever been fully supported, even in OS 2. However, if you can setup a VPN to forward multicast packets, then SDDP should work and allow the app to find Director. We haven't intentionally done anything to take away or block VPNs, it's mainly that VPNs aren't compatible with how the apps discover Director.

I discourage using 4Sight or a VPN for support. Instead, I encourage dealers to use Composer Pro and a remote monitoring tool (e.g. OvrC). 

Personally, I find a lot of value in having a 4Sight subscription that allows me to receive push notifications, answer my door with Intercom Anywhere, and monitor my home remotely (not to mention Alexa or Google voice). But that's me and I am biased.
*Disclaimer: I work for Control4.

RE: evaluating bringing back the manual IP address setting. I can't comment on when or if it will be brought back. At the time of my original post we were looking into bringing it back for other, not vpn, related reasons.

• 3 weeks later...
That's only true if WiFi happens to be active . If you're out & about and not connected to any WiFi, but have your VPN active and tunnelling over the cellular IP network you get:

Unable to Connect

Please join a WiFi network connected to your system, or contact your dealer to enable Anywhere Access through 4Sight.

My 4Sight just expired and my dealer is away, so I wanted to use my VPN, which I’ve had for years (currently OpenVPN on Pakedge RK1 and iOS). I get the same error over LTE. I just logged into my hotel’s WiFi, and I can access my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/7/2019 at 4:39 PM, JoelC said:

Hi Folks,

Thanks again!

Joel

"We are currently evaluating bringing back the manual IP address setting to provide a workaround for misconfigured networks."

+1

Please bring this back!

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2020 at 8:27 PM, Alt said:

"We are currently evaluating bringing back the manual IP address setting to provide a workaround for misconfigured networks."

+1

Please bring this back!

Yes please bring this back!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.