C4 Forums | Control4

They have a listing of all the compatible locks on their support web site. I can tell you this - as long as the lock does not extend into the door hole very far it will work. It uses the original locks and hardware so it is VERY cool.

The blue tooth works a treat - very responsive. It also can "auto-lock" in 30 seconds up to 3 minutes.

BUT - I would like to integrate it into C4 if someone figures out how to do this.

It integrates easily into the Apple Home stuff I am told but I don't have anything to run it so ...

Thanks for any information you might find or have...

Bill

They have a listing of all the compatible locks on their support web site. I can tell you this - as long as the lock does not extend into the door hole very far it will work. It uses the original locks and hardware so it is VERY cool.

The blue tooth works a treat - very responsive. It also can "auto-lock" in 30 seconds up to 3 minutes.
BUT - I would like to integrate it into C4 if someone figures out how to do this.
It integrates easily into the Apple Home stuff I am told but I don't have anything to run it so ...
Bill

Bill,
You might want to look into Berto’s solution, it is pretty great. Just got it up and running yesterday. You just need a dealer for the driver install and can do the rest yourself.
Control4 finally in iOS.
Jeff
e4e1fb0e7627e0daf410d423611ecf15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jeffrey said:

Bill,
You might want to look into Berto’s solution, it is pretty great. Just got it up and running yesterday. You just need a dealer for the driver install and can do the rest yourself.
Control4 finally in iOS.
Jeff

Just to clarify Berto's solution wont be able to control the Level Lock (today).

16 hours ago, TexasBill said:

Bill

Looked but couldn't ascertain. Was going to contact them but couldn't find that either! :)

Used chat and got this:

Level Lock is compatible with most standard deadbolts.

Medeco is not standard because it has extra security features, which makes it incompatible with Level Lock.

4 hours ago, c44me said:

Looked but couldn't ascertain. Was going to contact them but couldn't find that either! :)

Used chat and got this:

Level Lock is compatible with most standard deadbolts.

Medeco is not standard because it has extra security features, which makes it incompatible with Level Lock.

Yea, the lockset has a plate that extends over the deadbolt. Their locksets don't have the standard two prong screw holes.

I just received my new August 4th generation, and although I don’t have any other smart locks to compare it to directly, I think the size and build quality is very nice. It’s no bigger that the door knob itself. I haven’t yet installed it though, so I don’t know how well it operates. 

Having this installed now for over a week - Here are my thoughts.

In the app you can give guest privileges to anyone that you want and they can open the door.

You can have it auto lock up to three minutes after you unlock it.

When ever you unlock or lock the door (even manually) it can notify you on your phone.

So -is it CRITICAL that I have integration - no.

What would I Like in integration?

1. the ability to lock or unlock as a routine in my daily schedule

2. the ability to auto lock it but only when the door is closed. My sensor could make sure that two minutes after the door closed it auto locked. Currently the door can be open and you are saying good by to your guests and the door locks.

This is really cool - I have the original door hardware and it works just fine.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Good info. For what it's worth, we turned off auto-lock on our kwikset Premis for that same reason. It's longest delay was 4 minutes. If you have an AppleTV, you can automate it with HomeKit. 

I think you highlight the key items I considered.

You can't check state of the lock, but the work around can be auto lock so the assumption is that its locked all the time. But it can auto lock when open which can lead to door frame damage or damaging the lock.

Nice to use your own hardware when you have some older but very nice door hardware that doesn't permit mounting things like August.

I've seen what I think are a lot of social media marketing posts that are paid by the company, but are positioned as a simple posting with no references to being paid. This is the world these days, but I'm also seeing that there is feedback that this company is heavy on marketing. Even their website is hard to navigate to get to some simple facts about the product because they use too much marketing fluff.

The one item I am seeing pushed on forums for the marketing is using this product in rentals where people cannot change their locks. Its invisible to everyone else. I think its really one of the top use cases for this lock.

I'm also seeing the injected posts comment on the performance of the proximity unlock being far superior to August. I bet that it actually true based on the fact that it uses Bluetooth.

I winced when I saw that they but the battery in the bolt. I wondered how strong it would be since its hollow and how much fun it would be to have CR2 battery guts spewed all over the entry if the bolt was sheared... but the rating for the bolt is pretty high so hopefully its durable. Maybe there isn't anything to worry about.

The other feedback I see is that people would like to see a keypad. I guess the August keypad is popular? After considering it I think it would be nice as well.

Looks like the company has a lot of funding so its likely it will make it to the point where it offers additional products. I'm guessing a hub has to be coming because Alexa is driving a lot of sales these days.

The one thing I'm curious about is what happens when the battery dies. Doesn't look like the bolt is mechanical in a power failure.

37 minutes ago, Pounce said:

You can't check state of the lock

This is a deal killer. I understand not knowing if the door is open or closed, but not knowing the state of the lock? That's fundamental. Are you sure it doesn't know its own state?

33 minutes ago, Elvis said:

This is a deal killer. I understand not knowing if the door is open or closed, but not knowing the state of the lock? That's fundamental. Are you sure it doesn't know its own state?

Oh, I'm sure it knows its own state. It's just that it doesn't appear to be obvious in the app without reviewing the events and you obviously can't check state with your security system or C4 because there is no integration.

If this is bluetooth only and no phones or homekit is nearby then state change is not being communicated when someone uses a key or turns the lever on the inside of the deadbolt. When you come back into proximity I assume (but do not know for sure) that the lock will update your activity log in the app with all the activity it knows about, but wasn't present in your app on your phone. When the lock is opened with bluetooth you get a log entry with the name of the user. I don't know what it says when it is unlocked with a key. I'm curious though.

17 hours ago, DanITman said:

If they have an app they have an API :) 

API in the context of these forum mean a public/published API or possibly a partner API - we don't need to go this every time the term API is used.

The simple fact that this is bluetooth only likely means that you won't see integration in this generation of the product. If they include wifi/zigbee/zwave at some point it becomes a different matter.

19 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Oh, I'm sure it knows its own state. It's just that it doesn't appear to be obvious in the app without reviewing the events and you obviously can't check state with your security system or C4 because there is no integration.

If this is bluetooth only and no phones or homekit is nearby then state change is not being communicated when someone uses a key or turns the lever on the inside of the deadbolt. When you come back into proximity I assume (but do not know for sure) that the lock will update your activity log in the app with all the activity it knows about, but wasn't present in your app on your phone. When the lock is opened with bluetooth you get a log entry with the name of the user. I don't know what it says when it is unlocked with a key. I'm curious though.

Thanks for clarifying. HomeKit integration is all I need so I'm going to give it a try. Don't want a keypad on the door so this will work perfectly, I hope. 

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

Thanks for clarifying. HomeKit integration is all I need so I'm going to give it a try. Don't want a keypad on the door so this will work perfectly, I hope. 

Yes, I think its really good for homekit only users as you have a homekit device near the lock.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.