C4 Forums | Control4

A further posting - now that this has been installed on my front door for several months, we love it

When we go out with friends and they drop us off I used to have to open the garage door on my phone and go in that way - we can now walk to the front door and walk in. 

The battery still shows to be full - it is working a treat - I recommend this lock.

• 3 months later...

I’m not sure if someone has addressed the level lock and android “issue”. It will work with android. It’s Bluetooth. It won’t connect to anything but HomeKit for home automation integrations. And the battery lasts a LONG time. I have two. I have had one since 2018. Replaced the battery once. It’s been over a year and that battery is currently at 57%. New lock installed 5 months ago. It’s at 89%. There are two battery settings. One for longer range. Using that setting will drain the battery a little faster...  it’s a GREAT lock, easy to install and operate. 

• 1 year later...

Level is still around and they just released lock plus which works with home key.  We remodeled and installed these as the C4 locks and August products are hideous.  Gotta say its a great product and C4 needs to work on integrating it.  Install can be fiddly but works on our Baldwin and Schlage, even the low profile sets which are not officially supported.

12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Level is BT only..not going to happen

Well technically its bt and nfc but i get your point. Either way, its a shame i can get better functionality and design integration for next to nothing and there is nothing comparable from c4. 

Just now, am350z said:

Well technically its bt and nfc but i get your point. Either way, its a shame i can get better functionality and design integration for next to nothing and there is nothing comparable from c4. 

C4 doesn't make any locks...they never have....

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

C4 doesn't make any locks...they never have....

Correct and the officially supported integrated partners locks are not great design wise and now have less functionality that 300 lock you can get on amazon.  Its an issue for a home automation company.  

Just now, am350z said:

Correct and the officially supported integrated partners locks are not great design wise and now have less functionality that 300 lock you can get on amazon.  Its an issue for a home automation company.  

Disagree on the list. Functionality part and design is of the beholder. I actually think the yale two collection is really nice

Just not a fan of the smart lock look with keypad or the few decent other designs. You are severely limited in choice.  The level is a great solution allowing near endless choices.  I would argue the functionality is better with level with nfc, no need to open any apps.   Just can be frustrating when any home automation, be it c4, crestron, savant, etc have worse solutions than relatively cheap consumer products. But guess that is true for a lot of things.   Maybe can work around with Homekit

C4 integration aside, Level Lock seems like a terrible lock from a security standpoint.  Of course, this guy can get any lock open, but this one is susceptible to very low skill attacks anyone with a tool can perform (raking, bump keys) because it apparently doesn't have security pins.  Good news is that he says you can have a locksmith change the cylinder out to something more secure...

12 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

C4 integration aside, Level Lock seems like a terrible lock from a security standpoint.  Of course, this guy can get any lock open, but this one is susceptible to very low skill attacks (raking, bump keys) because it apparently doesn't have security pins.  Good news is that he says you can have a locksmith change the cylinder out to something more secure...

4 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

C4 integration aside, Level Lock is unfortunately just a terrible lock.  

There is a video like this for practically every lock out there. Unfortunately, the guy doesn't understand that you can use the internal Level with any lock. I've used mine with Kwikset and Schlage deadbolts. I've yet to replace a battery. Others I've had (Kwikset and Yale) eat batteries.

If a crook wanted to rob me, they'd have no trouble breaking the glass, reaching in and unlocking the door.

Yeah, so what.  His videos are entertaining but kind of pointless.  Pretty easy to just break a glass door or window and get in almost any house.   Its not like a deadbolt is anything more than a mild deterrent.  Thus alarms and cameras were created.  And like stated above, you can use any keyset with level.

6 minutes ago, am350z said:
18 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

C4 integration aside, Level Lock seems like a terrible lock from a security standpoint.  Of course, this guy can get any lock open, but this one is susceptible to very low skill attacks (raking, bump keys) because it apparently doesn't have security pins.  Good news is that he says you can have a locksmith change the cylinder out to something more secure...

Yeah, so what.  His videos are entertaining but kind of pointless.  Pretty easy to just break a glass door or window and get in almost any house.   Its not like a deadbolt is anything more than a mild deterrent.  Thus alarms and cameras were created.

Everyone has their own standard of risk and can make their own choices.  I wouldn't secure my home with one of these.  He can pick other smart locks too, but they typically take actual lock picking skills.  The raking method is something anyone could do quite easily...

These companies should make sure their locks are at least as secure as the cheap dumb ones!

2 hours ago, C4 User said:

Given that this lock works with Apple HomeKit, is there not a way to integrate it into C4?

Yes and no. You can kludge it via Lutron Smartbridge Pro or other C4 and HomeKit compatible bridge. I realized everything I wanted to automate via lock status didn't need C4 to accomplish. I just did it with Lutron and HomeKit. 

1 minute ago, Topspin14m said:

Everyone has their own standard of risk and can make their own choices.  I wouldn't secure my home with one of these.  He can pick other smart locks too, but they typically take actual lock picking skills.  The raking method is something anyone could do...

Again, you can use Schlage, Baldwin, etc with the level internals keeping their keyset and security features.  Maybe you dont understand how level lock works.  

12 minutes ago, Elvis said:

There is a video like this for practically every lock out there. Unfortunately, the guy doesn't understand that you can use the internal Level with any lock. I've used mine with Kwikset and Schlage deadbolts. I've yet to replace a battery. Others I've had (Kwikset and Yale) eat batteries.

If a crook wanted to rob me, they'd have no trouble breaking the glass, reaching in and unlocking the door.

Sure but someone might see a broken window.  This is like having a key!  I agree the solution is to switch out the cylinder (he says that in the video) or buy the bolt with a different locking mechanism.  And yes, he picks every lock in existence, but there are some that require his actual skill (which few people actually have) and others, like this one, that anyone with no lock picking skill could crack. 

4 minutes ago, am350z said:

Again, you can use Schlage, Baldwin, etc with the level internals keeping their keyset and security features.  Maybe you dont understand how level lock works.  

Yeah as long as you use some other locking mechanism with it, I suppose it's fine.  But a lot of people are going to buy the "lock" package.

Just now, Topspin14m said:

Sure but someone might see a broken window.  This is like having a key!  I agree the solution is to switch out the cylinder (he says that in the video).  And yes, he picks every lock in existence, but there are some that require his actual skill (which few people actually have) and others, like this one, that anyone with no lock picking skill could crack. 

You dont have to switch out the cylinder.  He reviewed the full level “bolt” not the original level lock that keeps the keyset of your original lock.  I still dont think you understand the Level product. 

2 minutes ago, am350z said:

You dont have to switch out the cylinder.  He reviewed the full level “bolt” not the original level lock that keeps the keyset of your original lock.  I still dont think you understand the Level product. 

https://level.co/products/lock. That's what he reviewed (the "Lock").  

The Bolt is the product that keeps your original lock.  https://level.co/products/bolt

And, I agree the Bolt wouldn't suffer from the same issue.  But it's shameful that the company is selling a $250 lock without security pins. 

Just now, Topspin14m said:

https://level.co/products/lock. That's what he reviewed (the "Lock").  

The Bolt is the product that keeps your original lock.  https://level.co/products/bolt

Yeah, I got it backwards but either way, no need to use the Level keyset.  Thats the whole point to me, better styles entrysets than the limited c4 options. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.