C4 Forums | Control4

adding HC800 for additional audio streams

azkid

I currently have an EA3 hooked up in my main rack that goes to a C4 16 channel matrix.   I have an hc800 that I was planning to use to add additional streams.  Question though, is there a way to set the EA3 as the "primary" meaning the first two streams will play out of the EA3 and then if I add additional streams to use the HC800 as the secondary?  Also want to make sure if I only hook up 1 additional stream from the 800 that control4 wont be confused and only let me play one stream vs the 3 i am trying to have (2 from EA3 one from the HC800).   

I believe the two would be very similar, with the HC800 probably having better DACs. Either way, I don't believe you can specify which stream is used when - I think C4 figures that out.

Amusingly, I also went down this route. I ended getting an EA5 instead. The DACs and Amps on the EA5 are quite good, and for processing thigs like Tidal MQA streams seemed the best overall choice. 

If you're "desperate" for 1 more stream, you can also use the HDMI output on the EA3 for an output stream. Just buy a $20 HDMI audio extractor of Amazon, and then you're good to go. 

EA3 and EA5 spec with added audio processors, and also handle higher bit rate and more formats than the HC series.

Control4 won't get confused and will make use of all the connections, but will do so on it's predesigned terms, you can't set the order, put plug carefully.

It's digital before analog, but then I believe it's highest numbered input on a matrix after that. Meaning if the HC800 analog is input 4 and the EA3 analog is input 2, it'll pick input 4 before 2.

thanks for the input all!  I got it setup and was testing but running into issues where streams would cut off.   After playing with it, i thought  the cause was amazon and iheart wont let me play multiple streams at a time (i am just using free accounts).  Not sure if Pandora is the same...  Anyone have a "free" workaround for how to get past that?  Is there a way to have control4 log in to different or multiple accounts?  

I can get two streams to stay on all the time, one amazon, one iheart.  If i play 4 streams it will work for a song or two but then it cuts off back to just the first two...  Still not sure what the actual issue might be. 

16 hours ago, azkid said:

thanks for the input all!  I got it setup and was testing but running into issues where streams would cut off.   After playing with it, i thought  the cause was amazon and iheart wont let me play multiple streams at a time (i am just using free accounts).  Not sure if Pandora is the same...  Anyone have a "free" workaround for how to get past that?  Is there a way to have control4 log in to different or multiple accounts?  

I can get two streams to stay on all the time, one amazon, one iheart.  If i play 4 streams it will work for a song or two but then it cuts off back to just the first two...  Still not sure what the actual issue might be. 

For free pandora you just need to add additional drivers into the project and ensure you are pulling up the different "streams".  Typically you'd do either one driver per room, or one driver per user.  Paid pandora is only one stream I believe. 

On 8/19/2020 at 9:59 AM, mstafford388 said:

For free pandora you just need to add additional drivers into the project and ensure you are pulling up the different "streams".  Typically you'd do either one driver per room, or one driver per user.  Paid pandora is only one stream I believe. 

Basically go to add music and add another Pandora but name it something else even Pandora 2 will work. Log in with same log in and you can then use Pandora and Pandora 2 to get 2 separate streams. 

6 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Basically go to add music and add another Pandora but name it something else even Pandora 2 will work. Log in with same log in and you can then use Pandora and Pandora 2 to get 2 separate streams. 

Ha, yes.  That's what it sounded like in my head, thanks for making it more clear to understand. 

On 8/18/2020 at 9:07 PM, msgreenf said:

The outputs are prioritized automatically by quality - so digital ports then EA ports, then HC ports.  That is how I understand it

Respectfully, I disagree.  I spent a few hours with my dealer working on this a couple of months back as my system was using my HC800 outputs in preference to my EA5 outputs.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:21 PM, RAV said:

It's digital before analog, but then I believe it's highest numbered input on a matrix after that. Meaning if the HC800 analog is input 4 and the EA3 analog is input 2, it'll pick input 4 before 2.

My experience is this, but the exact opposite.  In other words, on my system, It is digital be for analog (as you say) and then it chooses the lowest input first (e.g. inout 2 ahead of Input 4 - irrespective of which is the HC800 and which is the better EA5).  I have much preferred the sound since I made this change as I now have 2 channels of EA5 and rarely use the third or fourth stream which will be the HC800.  

The improvement may well be minimal and psychosomatic but it feels great to me!

• 9 months later...

Don't have an EA in this project but I respectfully disagree with the prioritization as well.  HC800 to a Triad Matrix to a Episode 16 Channel amp.  Customer uses Tidal for HQ audio streams.  I connected Analog 1 and 2 as well as the Digital Coax to the Matrix.  Every time I select a stream to play it defaults out of Analog 2, even if nothing else is playing throughout the house.

7 hours ago, Jones1978 said:

Don't have an EA in this project but I respectfully disagree with the prioritization as well.  HC800 to a Triad Matrix to a Episode 16 Channel amp.  Customer uses Tidal for HQ audio streams.  I connected Analog 1 and 2 as well as the Digital Coax to the Matrix.  Every time I select a stream to play it defaults out of Analog 2, even if nothing else is playing throughout the house.

If you have an HC800 the client is not using HQ Tidal, they just think they are. 

Anyone been able to setup multiple Spotify names to to allow for specific room playback?

I saw a PDF from C4 saying you can add one or up to 10 locations "e.g., Kitchen Spotify", so when you use Spotify Connect you're presented with a choice where to stream.

Otherwise I'm stuck with a default room selector in C4 Composer HE but if I want to shower and play Spotify in the bathroom I'd like to be able to just request Bathroom rather than jump from app to app turning on and shutting off rooms.

On 6/2/2021 at 10:57 AM, c4Iona said:

you could save some money and add a fusion duet.  You get two additional streams plus the integrated spotify.  They also have a single source if you only want to add a single source.

On 6/2/2021 at 5:43 PM, Control4Savant said:

Autonomic is also an option. 

As are several others, but I wouldn't recommend it in most scenarios as an addition for more available streams of the same streaming services (ie use siriusxm or tunein both native and 3rd party, vs adding adding, say, Sonos for apple music specifically). It just creates a mess that way.

Either use C4 native for each stream (of a service) or all 3rd party for each stream (of a service).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.