C4 Forums | Control4

Announcements issue after 3.2 upgrade

Since upgrading to 3.2 everything has been great and I am enjoying some of the new features (particularly History).  However, I have noticed odd system behavior with whole house Announcements.

I have a few prerecorded announcements I (or the kids) can play from the T3's that broadcast through the in-ceiling speakers throughout the house.  When they are played since the upgrade, the audio and video in any room where a tv is being watched drops, no announcement is heard, and it is as if pause or the menu button has been pushed on the Apple TV reverting to a black screen or the menu (it seems to vary).  Not sure if this is a known issue, but thought I'd mention it on here and see if anyone has any ideas.

My system consists of a CA10 and several EA1's, 3's etc.   The announcements are programmed similar to the doorbell chime from the DS2 and audio is managed with a C4 audio Matrix and AudioControl Amps if that helps.  

Thanks for any advice

9 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

We have no Announcements playing on our touch screens 

3.2 is starting to look a bit buggy 

Does it matter if there is an concurrent announcement in an audio zone?

Sometimes on updates T3 screens get 'stuck' on playing and never finishing an announcement (ie a trigger is sent, but never ended) - if you have HE, try doing a refresh navigator and see if it clear it.

AFAIK there is no known bug or bug being tracked for no announcements in 3.2

13 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Sometimes on updates T3 screens get 'stuck' on playing and never finishing an announcement (ie a trigger is sent, but never ended) - if you have HE, try doing a refresh navigator and see if it clear it.

Cheers CY - Refreshed Navs - No Luck - Rebooted Controller - No Luck - Rebooted TS - No Luck 

Did work on my Sonos Speaker then stopped again 

OK - Looks like something just to our house 

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same issue with announcements since 3.2 - when I look in Composer HE, the dropdown for files is blank. The files are present on the controller (I can verify through Explorer) and my dealer can see the files in Composer Pro, but they don't show for me, and announcements that were working before no longer play.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

8 hours ago, Pmcmillan said:

I am having the same issue with announcements since 3.2 - when I look in Composer HE, the dropdown for files is blank. The files are present on the controller (I can verify through Explorer) and my dealer can see the files in Composer Pro, but they don't show for me, and announcements that were working before no longer play.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

I’m having a similar issue with custom wallpaper. My custom pics are mostly gone and I no longer have the option to re-add.  I had a catastrophic error which required a factory reset on my EA-5 post 3.2 upgrade.  I know my dealer was online with C4 support and 2 patches were applied (don’t know what they were).  I’ve been reluctant to re-boot because I was down for the better part of 3 days and I got an earful from you-know-who 🙂 and I can’t have another outage until after Thanksgiving!!!

My guess is all the custom pic files are still there.

On 10/28/2020 at 1:56 PM, Cyknight said:

This is an known issue, and TS is aware of it.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 8:43 PM, neil12011 said:

This is an known issue, and TS is aware of it.  

A year or so ago, I added an Axxess Motion Sensor above our Front door, and programmed it to send an .mp3 announcement to the T3 in our family room whenever it detected motion.  I also programmed it to have the T3 'jump' to the DS2 mini Camera by the front door, and send a pair of snapshots from the DS2 by email.  It has worked flawlessly until recently.  Now, I sometimes get the Announcement, while most of the time I don't.  I get the emails 100% of the time.  And every once in a while, the camera video doesn't load on the T3, with the little camera with a slash through it at the center of the screen.

This started not long after the 3.2 upgrade, but as best I can recall, not coincident with it.  All Drivers and Firmware are up to date.  I have rebooted the T3 and Director, but the performance is still hit and miss.

If I create new programming on some other event, just to test it out, putting in the action to make the announcement, and hit 'Execute' in the programming interface, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Is what I'm describing the same thing as what you indicate TS is aware of, or is this something different?  As I said, it was 100% reliable for over a year, but now has become undependable.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Don Cohen said:

A year or so ago, I added an Axxess Motion Sensor above our Front door, and programmed it to send an .mp3 announcement to the T3 in our family room whenever it detected motion.  I also programmed it to have the T3 'jump' to the DS2 mini Camera by the front door, and send a pair of snapshots from the DS2 by email.  It has worked flawlessly until recently.  Now, I sometimes get the Announcement, while most of the time I don't.  I get the emails 100% of the time.  And every once in a while, the camera video doesn't load on the T3, with the little camera with a slash through it at the center of the screen.

This started not long after the 3.2 upgrade, but as best I can recall, not coincident with it.  All Drivers and Firmware are up to date.  I have rebooted the T3 and Director, but the performance is still hit and miss.

If I create new programming on some other event, just to test it out, putting in the action to make the announcement, and hit 'Execute' in the programming interface, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Is what I'm describing the same thing as what you indicate TS is aware of, or is this something different?  As I said, it was 100% reliable for over a year, but now has become undependable.

Thanks.

Dan - I see something similar with my announcements. I had my dealer go back in and program my audio files (since I can't do it through HE), and even though they are there they only fire 20% of the time - including my doorbell, which is really annoying. Other processes fire reliably - put DS2 camera on touchscreens, turn foyer light on, etc. - just not the audio file. 

Our home/system is new (approx 6 months) and had been rock solid on these items until the 3.2 upgrade - so I'm comfortable pointing the finger solidly at that. The silence is deafening on the C4 side, but I'm hoping they are (quietly) at work on a resolution. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have reached the end of my rope with the DS2.  I had DS2 for about two years; never liked them -- too big.  So when DS2 mini became available, i upgraded.  Recently, the DS mini stopped working.  C4 replaced them under warranty but they rarely work as advertised.  Motion detection is spotty; plenty of false motion detection depending on the level of sunlight, night time motion detection is non-existent and i get two alerts for the front door whenever it does work.  My son has Ring and laughs at me.  Between the DS2, the DS2 for two doors; labor, programing and masonry repair, i am out $5,000 for worthless doorbells!

I also recently upgraded to 3.2

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Mike said:

I have reached the end of my rope with the DS2.  I had DS2 for about two years; never liked them -- too big.  So when DS2 mini became available, i upgraded.  Recently, the DS mini stopped working.  C4 replaced them under warranty but they rarely work as advertised.  Motion detection is spotty; plenty of false motion detection depending on the level of sunlight, night time motion detection is non-existent and i get two alerts for the front door whenever it does work.  My son has Ring and laughs at me.  Between the DS2, the DS2 for two doors; labor, programing and masonry repair, i am out $5,000 for worthless doorbells!

I also recently upgraded to 3.2

3.2.1 is an improvement (or it may be the new DS driver) but still not perfect.

On 11/23/2020 at 8:11 PM, cdcllc said:

I’m having a similar issue with custom wallpaper. My custom pics are mostly gone and I no longer have the option to re-add.  I had a catastrophic error which required a factory reset on my EA-5 post 3.2 upgrade.  I know my dealer was online with C4 support and 2 patches were applied (don’t know what they were).  I’ve been reluctant to re-boot because I was down for the better part of 3 days and I got an earful from you-know-who 🙂 and I can’t have another outage until after Thanksgiving!!!

My guess is all the custom pic files are still there.

I had a follow-up session with my dealer support and all but 1 of the custom pic files were not present in the system.  They believe the loss of the custom pics was due to a problem on the factory restore (vs a 3.2 issue).  So I had to retake pics and apply after support "cleared" the custom pics from the system - which I interpreted as the pointers to the missing files were deleted/cleared.  I now have my own custom pic backup file!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 9:31 PM, Pmcmillan said:

Upgrade to 3.2.1 complete...alas, no improvement on the HE Announcement situation. Anyone else confirm?

Got exactly the same problem. Cannot use any of the Announcements under Agents. The files do not appear in the drop down, cannot add/delete. I know it's now Win10, SMB1 was enabled temporarily, I can browse to \\%controllerip%\media\announcements without any issue - why are C4 not fixing this, devalues my DS2 mini and system as a whole.

• 2 months later...

I'm frustrated with the HE announcement issue as well and thought about a workaround using either Advanced Announcements and/or Voice Agent drivers.  

While the drivers both work well, I'm unable to get them to work for me b/c as soon as I go to the respective announcement in HE (e.g. to change rooms/volume) it invalidates that setup due to drop-down bug resulting in a "broken" announcement.  

Ugh...come on C4, you can do better than this. 

Gonna do my best to file a defect incident ticket.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.