C4 Forums | Control4

Halo issues

Apple voice once worked perfectly, but hasn't worked for weeks.

Channel up/down buttons don't work with Dish Hopper.

Pretty tired of continuous trouble shooting. Removed and re-added to the project, rebooted each piece of the puzzle individually and all at once (wifi, Halo, Core1, ATV, Dish Hopper, TV) talked nicely to it, re-added it to ATV, cycled Siri control on/off/on.

Edited by Elvis
Added most of the troubleshooting steps I've tried

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

Apple voice once worked perfectly, but hasn't worked for weeks.

Channel up/down buttons don't work with Dish Hopper.

Pretty tired of continuous trouble shooting. Removed and re-added to the project, rebooted each piece of the puzzle individually and all at once (wifi, Halo, Core1, ATV, Dish Hopper, TV) talked nicely to it, re-added it to ATV, cycled Siri control on/off/on.

We’re RMAing all our neeos (going back to 260s) and now going to steer clear of halos. Awful, but what I expected given our neeo experience. 

Do channel up/down work from the Control4 app for Dish?  I'd be surprised if that was something specific to the Halo itself and not some kind of driver issue.

I haven't had any issues with my Siri control nor have I heard from any of my other clients that they are having any issues, so I'm thinking that this is something environmental and not a widespread issue with Halos?

Siri voice on Halo has NEVER worked consistently for me.  Very hit or miss, mostly miss.  My dealer reached out to support and heard back that there are known issues and they are working on it.  No further details.  I keep hoping the next Apple TV or Halo firmware update will solve, but no love yet.

5 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

Do channel up/down work from the Control4 app for Dish?  I'd be surprised if that was something specific to the Halo itself and not some kind of driver issue.

I haven't had any issues with my Siri control nor have I heard from any of my other clients that they are having any issues, so I'm thinking that this is something environmental and not a widespread issue with Halos?

You are correct. Channel up down doesn’t work in the app either.

Funny how the “environment” only affects C4 and not Dish, Sony, Amazon and Apple voice control.

11 hours ago, Elvis said:

You are correct. Channel up down doesn’t work in the app either.

Funny how the “environment” only affects C4 and not Dish, Sony, Amazon and Apple voice control.

Channel up/down is indeed an issue with the Control4 Dish driver and certain Hoppers, it's being worked on right now.

As far as voice control goes, surely you can understand that voice control sourced by a 3rd party system (Control4) doesn't use the same mechanism or transport as voice control from a native device remote.

Control4 can only work with protocols and libraries they have received from the manufacturer, and issues arise on both sides.

Sadly, integration is not simple.

RyanE

28 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Channel up/down is indeed an issue with the Control4 Dish driver and certain Hoppers, it's being worked on right now.

As far as voice control goes, surely you can understand that voice control sourced by a 3rd party system (Control4) doesn't use the same mechanism or transport as voice control from a native device remote.

Control4 can only work with protocols and libraries they have received from the manufacturer, and issues arise on both sides.

RyanE

I get it. It is frustrating all the way around.

44 minutes ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

Why sell it - Why not just put Alexa into control4 

I loved Control4, but now it just feels a bit painful trying to get everything to Work and Control4 dealers not telling you the full story 

Come this web Site to see if anyone else is having the same issue's - Yes they are most of the time 

Yes Control4 does a Job - Has a Software for My Phillip Hue Lights / Sonos Speakers / Q motion Blinds / Axxess Blinds / texcom Alarm However Control Door Station and Intercom - Total Rubbish - Have refresh Navs Programmed every night  now (3.3 hc800) - 

If its made by C4 stay away - that's my view - Apart from HC800 and SR250 remotes - Solid Kit 

2 hours ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

Sadly, Control4 integration is not simple. Other brands do not have these issues consistently. 

4 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

Sadly, Control4 integration is not simple. Other brands do not have these issues consistently. 

Can you list +s and -s of savant vs C4? Thinking i might switch to savant but I’m aware (friend who has savant) that they’re far from perfect —- in. But the neeo issues and core 1 bugs are straws that broke camels back imo. I have two homes w C4 so this won’t be cheap and I have C4 lighting so wondering if savant can control c4 lighting (zigbee) or do I have to swap out for Lutron? My C4 audio matrix failed (like others — power supply) so I now have triad which I’m guessing works w Savant? Another big problem — waited until they fixed T4 display issue before having my T4’s shipped and now have 2-3 T4’s w display issues (dealer RMAing all of them). Can’t believe they sent me bad T4s. And over 1/2 my neeos were rma’d and the rest are dying or you need a lab tech to put them on charging station precisely so the contacts meet!

27 minutes ago, penn65000 said:

Can you list +s and -s of savant vs C4? Thinking i might switch to savant but I’m aware (friend who has savant) that they’re far from perfect —- in. But the neeo issues and core 1 bugs are straws that broke camels back imo. I have two homes w C4 so this won’t be cheap and I have C4 lighting so wondering if savant can control c4 lighting (zigbee) or do I have to swap out for Lutron? My C4 audio matrix failed (like others — power supply) so I now have triad which I’m guessing works w Savant? Another big problem — waited until they fixed T4 display issue before having my T4’s shipped and now have 2-3 T4’s w display issues (dealer RMAing all of them). Can’t believe they sent me bad T4s. And over 1/2 my neeos were rma’d and the rest are dying or you need a lab tech to put them on charging station precisely so the contacts meet!

Let's not thread hijack to do a c4 vs savant thread in a halo thread.  if you want to do a c4 vs savant please start a seperate thread

The Core/Halo stuff are full of bugs, will take sometimes to stabilize, don’t let frustration mount and control your decision, live with half functionalities for now until they iron it out, am sure it’s a focus matter for C4, just be patient …

4 hours ago, Amr said:

The Core/Halo stuff are full of bugs, will take sometimes to stabilize, don’t let frustration mount and control your decision, live with half functionalities for now until they iron it out, am sure it’s a focus matter for C4, just be patient …

Been very patient ~hence why still using HC800 and SR 250 

One day I will need to change but not yet

5 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Been very patient ~hence why still using HC800 and SR 250 

One day I will need to change but not yet

Am on EA5, 3.3.3 and 260’s, 250’s and 2xNeeo’s and I have “controlled” very limited issues

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone with a halo remote experience random reboots after picking up remote from sitting idle?   Does not happen all the time and I can't just recreate the issue, but usually when it does is right when I'm ready to power off the Zone  or change the channel and I have to wait till it reboots to do so.   Frustrating.   

Mine has the same issue with rebooting when I pick it up from being idle and immediately doing a room off command.  I've learned to pause before doing the off - basically wait until right before putting the halo back on the charging cradle.  Otherwise, halo has been solid.  I'll still take it over the SR-260 (so far, just need the screen to last more than a year!).

I can't figure out why a Halo I just setup has the time off. It was off by hours initially, not even the minutes were right. Rebooted the controller and remote and now the Halo is an hour ahead of the controller. Not sure what that's about...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.