C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 compatible uninterruptible power supply

We have frequent power outages, usually just long enough to make everything reboot. (So much for moving into the city.)

It's gotten to the point that I'm really worried about the hardware in my system. Dish Hopper, Core1, Lutron Pro bridge, router, switch, AppleTV, Xbox One and the Sony OLED TV. It often cycles quickly, on/off/on/off/... and that's my main worry.

I typically install Wattbox UPS and power conditioners in my projects...they work great with OVRC and can be easily configured to do power shedding where it will turn off different devices which are less critical (amps etc) based on the amount of battery remaining, and keep the critical devices (modem, router, switches/APs, C4) online till the battery dies (more important for longer outages than you're describing obviously).

PM me for pricing if interested.

6 hours ago, Elvis said:

We have frequent power outages, usually just long enough to make everything reboot. (So much for moving into the city.)

It's gotten to the point that I'm really worried about the hardware in my system. Dish Hopper, Core1, Lutron Pro bridge, router, switch, AppleTV, Xbox One and the Sony OLED TV. It often cycles quickly, on/off/on/off/... and that's my main worry.

U can protect most of ur devices with delay plugs to protect it from the ON/OFF electricity fluctuations, it introduces 15 secs delay not to connect electricity to devices instantly after power restore, within this 15 secs if its cuts off again or volts drops below certain limit then no harm as it’s still powered OFF, cheap stuff works like magic, u can UPS protect ur Core1, I don’t believe protecting Apple TV with UPS as the cost will be 2 much for such a cheap device!

You should be worried more about your fridge and washing machines, these are the most affected ones with rapid ON/OFF

Am using these in my summer house, Sollatek Voltshield Automatic Voltage Switcher, EA1 is UPS protected thought, u can find alternatives in US for sure

IMG_7499.jpeg

16 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

I typically install Wattbox UPS and power conditioners in my projects...they work great with OVRC and can be easily configured to do power shedding where it will turn off different devices which are less critical (amps etc) based on the amount of battery remaining, and keep the critical devices (modem, router, switches/APs, C4) online till the battery dies (more important for longer outages than you're describing obviously).

PM me for pricing if interested.

Email sent. Thank you.

I also have Wattbox UPSs in my projects, but I'm now about to ditch all of them and get something different.  I haven't really shopped for UPSs in a while - anyone have an opinion on what's good?  They basically all seem like a commodity at this point, so I'm not sure there's any real difference.  Hoping to get some opinions from the rest of you out there....

1 hour ago, fleon said:

I also have Wattbox UPSs in my projects, but I'm now about to ditch all of them and get something different.  I haven't really shopped for UPSs in a while - anyone have an opinion on what's good?  They basically all seem like a commodity at this point, so I'm not sure there's any real difference.  Hoping to get some opinions from the rest of you out there....

Why are you ditching them?

I've had two go bad in the same location - first one wouldn't boot one day.  Next one had an error less than 1 year later with an internal short.  Then at another client location, had a different model die.  Then another one with a dead battery after 9 months.  Then another that wouldnt' stop beeping.  That's too many errors in less than 18 months.

The local allnet was not at all surprised when I had several failures in a row.  I think there is a QA problem with Snap right now .  Their cameras also are pretty poor quality recently, too.

But to your point - at one point, yes.  I think they were very good.  I'm not at all comfortable with them anymore.

1 hour ago, fleon said:

The local allnet was not at all surprised when I had several failures in a row.  I think there is a QA problem with Snap right now .  Their cameras also are pretty poor quality recently, too.

But to your point - at one point, yes.  I think they were very good.  I'm not at all comfortable with them anymore.

Yeah the only real WB problems I have had are the well known 700 series  12 outlet  half dead failures.  I use SurgeX for all my high energy home theater systems needs. 

I have APC all over my house.  A decade and no issues.  No real integrations but don’t see the need.

my needs are basic with a whole home generator so these are to keep things running for a few seconds 

this weekend I needed one in a new site.  After lots of googling I was between an Eaton or Vertiv.  Why didn’t I go APC?  Because I was bored and did way too much googling and Reddit reading but Vertiv seemed good for the price/size and came with an overkill of like $200,000 replacement guarantee and the battery is part of the warranty.

https://www.vertiv.com/en-us/products-catalog/critical-power/uninterruptible-power-supplies-ups/liebert-pst5-ups/

Zero issues with the Wattbox UPS - just know that if you have a generator you'll want a special firmware that has a tweaked response trigger. There techsupport will provide it on a call.

The auto powershedding and ability to shut off specific devices on poweroutage is nice, but to be honest we've been doing the same for decades using a standard 12v powersupply on the outlet and any controlled power unit...

APC is essentially the standard (and that's meant as a very positive thing). It's hard to argue against them

2 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Digital Loggers are great devices.  Definitely no thrills or bells, but they are solid performers.

APC still gets my vote, with Minuteman and Tripplite as backups.

Digital Loggers are web controlled power switches, rather than UPS's, are they not?

Why don't they make UPS' that are smart - in that you can control the outlets via a web interface and/or API?  Or do they?  Especially since UPS' usually already have software and can be controlled by PCs.  This should be an option for pretty much any UPS.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

Why don't they make UPS' that are smart - in that you can control the outlets via a web interface and/or API?  Or do they?  Especially since UPS' usually already have software and can be controlled by PCs.  This should be an option for pretty much any UPS.

The good ones are designed for enterprise, anything else is built as cheap as possible.

The consumer digital loggers devices are good.  I have had one for a decade.  It would be great if it had a battery and inverter - if there are UPS for consumers and smart power outlets for consumers then why not both?  I have approximated this by buying the cheap outlet switches when they go on sale.  Like the TP-Link Kasa smart plugs - but it is hard to put lots of these onto a typical UPS as they often block adjacent outlets.

16 hours ago, zaphod said:

The consumer digital loggers devices are good.  I have had one for a decade.  It would be great if it had a battery and inverter - if there are UPS for consumers and smart power outlets for consumers then why not both?  I have approximated this by buying the cheap outlet switches when they go on sale.  Like the TP-Link Kasa smart plugs - but it is hard to put lots of these onto a typical UPS as they often block adjacent outlets.

I buy short (like 6”) extension cords that I use for wall warts that take up too much space.  Amazon is great for those, they come in a 6 pack and cheap.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.