C4 Forums | Control4

Zwave or TPlink

daveva

So asking for a little advice. I have several Z wave outlets. I also have several Z wave outlets that seem to have lost their ability to turn off and on. They are online, they are old. They do need replaced. I'm just wondering if the TPlink outlets would be a better option or should I stick with Z wave. On occasion Z wave have dropped off line but the dealer reinstall them and they worked. I also asked before in the forum Z wave Lutron are compatible with Control4. Those of you who have the TP Link outlets are you satisfied with their build. Do they occasionally drop off line. Thanks for any advice here it's greatly appreciated

I have been using some Kasa outlets the past few months and just added one of their power strips. So far, no drops. They are extremely easy to add in HE with the paid driver. I am very impressed with them and will be switching out some Lutron dimmers for Kasa outlet because they are smaller and I don't need the dimmer feature. 

3 hours ago, daveva said:

So asking for a little advice. I have several Z wave outlets. I also have several Z wave outlets that seem to have lost their ability to turn off and on. They are online, they are old. They do need replaced. I'm just wondering if the TPlink outlets would be a better option or should I stick with Z wave. On occasion Z wave have dropped off line but the dealer reinstall them and they worked. I also asked before in the forum Z wave Lutron are compatible with Control4. Those of you who have the TP Link outlets are you satisfied with their build. Do they occasionally drop off line. Thanks for any advice here it's greatly appreciated

Another vote for the Kasa outlets. I have several and they work great with C4 and have been very reliable. As mentioned above, being able to add new Kasa products in Composer HE without a dealer makes them even easier and effectively cheaper than most other options. Amazon routinely has great deals on multi-packs of the plugs too. 

Just be aware that TP-Link has two different lines of products on Amazon: Kasa and Tapo. Someone else may be able to confirm, but the driver seems to be specifically for the Kasa branded products (I've never tried any of the Tapo products). 

I’ll echo all the above. Have probably 15+ on our network and they all work reliably. Only time they went out was because of a WiFi issue. For as little as $5 an outlet it’s impossible to beat for price/value. 

Note- each one does require an ip address so you can chew through IPs quickly. I’ve put all ours on a vlan and it works fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 1:37 AM, Cyknight said:

C4 really does do a poor job at marketing it's own essential line outlet modules (both in-wall, plug in indoor and the outdoor rated plug ins....)

Yeah hard part is the cost savings of Kasa and it really does seem to work very well (at least for me) no reason to spend that on switches inside a closet that no one will see. 

5 minutes ago, Neo1738 said:

Yeah hard part is the cost savings of Kasa and it really does seem to work very well (at least for me) no reason to spend that on switches inside a closet that no one will see. 

what switches? I'm talking about the actual outlets or plug in outlets.

Not knocking Kasa by the way, just genuinely suprised that C4's own option is seemingly so little used. Their pricepoint for those outlets is fairly competitive compared to a Kasa outlet plus driver unless you have lots, not to mention they will expand your zigbee mesh.

I haven't used the Kasa myself but I have heard from people using them (standalone, not part of C4) that the outdoor dongles don't work well in the cold we get here: the C4 ones haven't missed a beat even where Fahrenheit and Celsius scales meet....of course that's not likely a concern for most 😄

33 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

what switches? I'm talking about the actual outlets or plug in outlets.

Not knocking Kasa by the way, just genuinely suprised that C4's own option is seemingly so little used. Their pricepoint for those outlets is fairly competitive compared to a Kasa outlet plus driver unless you have lots, not to mention they will expand your zigbee mesh.

I haven't used the Kasa myself but I have heard from people using them (standalone, not part of C4) that the outdoor dongles don't work well in the cold we get here: the C4 ones haven't missed a beat even where Fahrenheit and Celsius scales meet....of course that's not likely a concern for most 😄

Sorry thought you meant both kasa product lines. If you have lots of wall switches the in wall outlets don't do much to add to zigbee. Outdoor outlets do great in Northwest Ohio, farther north idk. I do agree they aren't really marketed at all by my dealer or C4 for that matter. 

Kasa indoor and outdoor plugs have worked great for me - I use the outdoor ones for Xmas stuff here in Northern NJ, so it gets cold/snow and still kept going last year.

I wanted something new to be on a smart plug, and for $12 I got 2 Kasa plugs on Amazon yesterday.  Nothing against C4, but they cannot compete at that price point.  Even in the wall outlet was only like $20 but for what I needed, the wall wart type of smart outlet plug was fine as its going on a device that is plugged into an UPS and just want to control that 1 device.

As far as the outdoor plugs go and the cold, I have had multiple Kasa outdoor plugs set up controlling some string lights and a few other things for the past few years. I routinely have sub-zero temps in the winter and one of mine was even buried in snow for a good couple of months this past winter. I've never had a single issue with mine...hard to beat them for the price and with how good the driver is for them. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.