C4 Forums | Control4

Routers

jamesc4

Hi Guys,

Wanted to get some feedback on Routers of choice.

I tried out a Pakedge Router

one main complaint I have and I don't know if other routers do the same

When viewing the reservation list you can not sort in anyway...

would also be very cool if you can have groups within the reservations for example TVs , Cameras etc

Also when making a reservation the IPs in the dropdown are not in any order 

I like Ubiquiti - about a year ago I swapped out my old router for a USG and I also have several Ubiquiti WAPs throughout my house as well.  It is great to see everything in the Controller and I may switch to Ubiquiti switches in the future as well.

The only downside is that some more advanced functionality is/was not availalbe in the Controller web GUI.  An example is OpenVPN - you used to have to manually enter a bunch of commands but I believe that is now in the web GUI.

On 12/8/2017 at 12:17 AM, vitali said:

we used Luxul a lot, stopped using them about an year. got issues every installation. now trying with Ubiquity stuff.

Hmm... I've switched to using luxul ABR4500 or 5000 and have had great success and more importantly, support. UBNT's lack of phone support is a major problem for me as an integrator. 

10 hours ago, thecodeman said:

Hmm... I've switched to using luxul ABR4500 or 5000 and have had great success and more importantly, support. UBNT's lack of phone support is a major problem for me as an integrator. 

they have "chat support" videos on youtube, they cheaper, look better. I used luxul tech support, no doubt, it is great, but I used it too much and too often. Might be they got better now, I don't what to check it. Luxul for now it is like a Lilin for me, I did 5 Lilin integrations and that's it, HIK for now. might be Lilin got better, but I don't want to try, same with Luxul.

We have gigabit ethernet here which is great (900up/900down) but a lot or routers don't support that WAN to LAN speeds so choices are limited for that.  I've used a dozen Araknis routers and I can't remember having a hiccup with any of them and the price is right.  However it doesn't do gigabit so looking for alternative.  Pakedge RK1 or Luxul was thinking?

We've been rolling out more and more of the UniFi Security Gateway's on projects, they've proven themselves to work well for us and the remote management works well. Ubiquiti quality has improved greatly since their first generation of access points and we feel comfortable deploying them in the field.

Personally, I am using pfSense at home as I have a bunch of side projects that I need more features for - no issues on the Control4 side there either but certainly more customization and features available than our typical project requires.

3 hours ago, THawes said:

We've been rolling out more and more of the UniFi Security Gateway's on projects, they've proven themselves to work well for us and the remote management works well. Ubiquiti quality has improved greatly since their first generation of access points and we feel comfortable deploying them in the field.

Personally, I am using pfSense at home as I have a bunch of side projects that I need more features for - no issues on the Control4 side there either but certainly more customization and features available than our typical project requires.

Interestingly, Ubiquiti hired Chris Buechler one of the co-founders and project leaders of pfSense a little over a year ago.  He works on the Unifi product line, adding many of the features from pfSense.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Joining-Ubiquiti-next-week/td-p/1638042

7 hours ago, zaphod said:

Interestingly, Ubiquiti hired Chris Buechler one of the co-founders and project leaders of pfSense a little over a year ago.  He works on the Unifi product line, adding many of the features from pfSense.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Joining-Ubiquiti-next-week/td-p/1638042

Yes! The USG product has come a long way, no doubt in part to that I'm sure.

+1
A manufacturer doesn't get my business when they define support the way Ubiquiti does. I find it ironic that there are plenty of dealers that chuckle and chide clients that use Geek Squad but don't see some parallel with using Ubiquiti.

Sent from my smartphone using Tapatalk

+1

A manufacturer doesn't get my business when they define support the way Ubiquiti does. I find it ironic that there are plenty of dealers that chuckle and chide clients that use Geek Squad but don't see some parallel with using Ubiquiti.

Sent from my smartphone using Tapatalk

UBNT’s online chat has been flawless, no different then c4’s chat option. Also I can count on one hand the amount of times I have needed them. They just simply work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived