C4 Forums | Control4

Considering Control4

Moomaw

15 minutes ago, Ron_E said:

Can you use your own interface graphics for background, and buttons...or dips that a dealer item too?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

On OS3 you can customize your own backgrounds for each room within the app itself.

Custom buttons and graphics are almost all there. You would have to have something really niche for C4 to not already have a nice looking icon in place. Like maybe if you wanted a button for your RV Trailer then no that one isn't there and you would need a dealer to get really custom for you. Or just use a generic looking button and be done with it.

14 hours ago, Smess said:

I wouldnt give my c4 equipment to my worst enemy, if I were building a new house it is the last thing I would buy. It should be called controlU because thats what it does lol.

Would it be easier to give your C4 equipment to a stranger?  Depending on what you have, I'll gladly pay for shipping.  Please PM me with details.

That functionality is all replicated in Control4 in a more user friendly interface.
I use mine for my HT only...so I only need or want to control my AV Equipment, lights, and media servers. I prefer my own interfaces.

I use mine for my HT only...so I only need or want to control my AV Equipment, lights, and media servers. I prefer my own interfaces. 

Then Control4 isn't for you. This level of customization will never be possible and sorry that interface is dated.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:
1 hour ago, Ron_E said:

Then Control4 isn't for you. This level of customization will never be possible and sorry that interface is dated.

Honestly, with the portable T3's & Apps running the latest OS3.11, there is a ton of customization that I think is far superior to his current interface.  You can get terrifically creative with a landing page for each room, and still have the ability to look at the state of and control every device in every room in your home with a few touches.  This is where C4 gets an unfair black-eye.  A thoughtful dealer listens to his/her client and tries to build an interface that works like the client lives.  I think we all take for granted the amount of customization that's possible if you listen to the client, let the client live with it for awhile and see what makes good sense to the client.  I find new ideas for my interfaces all of the time.  A well trained client can do 99% ofthis with HE or just using favorites and organizing on the T3's or App.  

10 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Exactly - 1985 called and it wants it's UI back.

Interesting that you, and others insult potential customers, just because you think your premade graphics are better than someone else's custom made ones. I have looked at Control4 graphics and to me they are just generic plain templates...def not one I would prefer, and the reason I asked about using my own, but after hearing comments in this forum I will not even consider buying Control4.

Mods delete my account.

13 minutes ago, Ron_E said:

Interesting that you, and others insult potential customers, just because you think your premade graphics are better than someone else's custom made ones. I have looked at Control4 graphics and to me they are just generic plain templates...def not one I would prefer, and the reason I asked about using my own, but after hearing comments in this forum I will not even consider buying Control4.

Mods delete my account.

Have you looked at the OS3 graphics though?  They are much nicer than older/pre-OS3 C4.  I'm not bashing you or your UI choices, but I would agree that the UI in your screenshots look very dated.

8 minutes ago, Ron_E said:

Mods delete my account.

Biggest drawback about C4 is the screens which I also find mediocre and the lack of ability to make them more custom. 

Maybe look at Crestron which a good dealer can make amazing for ballers. 

Control4 reliability partly comes from a stock UI.

The new custom button functionality can do a lot of what you want but it will never be a totally custom UI.

Any automation needs a level of flexibility between product, customer etc. If you can't compromise on one part then you need to look to different options.

4 hours ago, Ron_E said:

Mods delete my account.

Geez - don't take things so personally.  I apologize if I offended you, I was just making a bit of a joke.

Ron want's what he wants, there's nothing wrong with that. Crestron, RTI and URC are available options.

It's great to be loyal and spokesman for the brand, but it does have UI limitations, and for those that want custom to their specifications Control4 is not the right solution.

Some folks want fighter pilot design where they have control over every function possible.

Other folks just want to start it up and let it go.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.