C4 Forums | Control4

Could playing two announcements be a programmatic fix ?  Play an announcement of silence, then the announcement that you want to hear.  First one gives enough time for inputs to switch, amp to power on etc.  Might be easier for Shivam than trying to append 5 seconds of silence on to a dynamically created TTS announcement.

8 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

Could playing two announcements be a programmatic fix ?  Play an announcement of silence, then the announcement that you want to hear.  First one gives enough time for inputs to switch, amp to power on etc.  Might be easier for Shivam than trying to append 5 seconds of silence on to a dynamically created TTS announcement.

Unfortunately no. The system is limited to one announcement at a time and has to completely finish the first to start the second and includes about a 5 to 6 second delay between announcements. A second announcement executed while another is going will be queued. If the same announcement is executed while it is already executing, the 2nd execution is ignored.

The risk of changing the file dynamically right before the announcement is if the file is not there or partially written when the system tries to load it, the announcement will not work and will be stuck for 60 seconds until the failure timeout.

If you change the file well before the announcement, that should be fine.

9 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

The risk of changing the file dynamically right before the announcement

Doesn't that describe every text to speech announcement ?

My experience of Shivam's TTS driver is that it works perfectly when I play to one room.  However, if I try to play the same announcement to each of the kids bedrooms, things are very hit and miss.

40 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

Doesn't that describe every text to speech announcement ?

My experience of Shivam's TTS driver is that it works perfectly when I play to one room.  However, if I try to play the same announcement to each of the kids bedrooms, things are very hit and miss.

Depends. If I remember correctly, you can delay the period between creating the file and executing the announcement, and it only needs to be about 10 seconds to be safe.

11 hours ago, Dunamivora said:

The risk of changing the file dynamically right before the announcement is if the file is not there or partially written when the system tries to load it, the announcement will not work and will be stuck for 60 seconds until the failure timeout.

If you change the file well before the announcement, that should be fine.

I disagree. The current drivers that support dynamic announcements work perfectly. The text is processed, converted to an audio file, downloaded to the controller, and played in about 1 second. It’s arguably the coolest driver out there. Pretty amazing what it does.  I have the Voice Genie driver installed in many systems using dynamic announcements and it works great. 

On 5/25/2021 at 3:09 PM, jfh said:

What does OvRC pro native to your controller mean?  Does that benefit a homeowner/end user in any meaningful way?

Can the home owner now setup their own Macros on the OVRC app to make it more end user friendly?

6 minutes ago, antneed said:

This would be great! Is this official from Control4 that the app loads faster with the OS upgrade?

Don't know anything about official but my wife's phone we timed numerous times. Was always 11-12 seconds minimum to load. After first load since update now loads instantly if app was already opened and if you close the app and reopen takes 2 seconds max. 

1 minute ago, Neo1738 said:

Don't know anything about official but my wife's phone we timed numerous times. Was always 11-12 seconds minimum to load. After first load since update now loads instantly if app was already opened and if you close the app and reopen takes 2 seconds max. 

Wow, that would be great! 
anyone else confirm this?

2 hours ago, eddy.trochez said:

I disagree. The current drivers that support dynamic announcements work perfectly. The text is processed, converted to an audio file, downloaded to the controller, and played in about 1 second. It’s arguably the coolest driver out there. Pretty amazing what it does.  I have the Voice Genie driver installed in many systems using dynamic announcements and it works great. 

You might not know who I am, so that disagreement is misplaced.

Hint: I tested the entirety of the announcement agent in 2.10.x-3.0.0 at Control4. 😉

42 minutes ago, antneed said:

Wow, that would be great! 
anyone else confirm this?

I can confirm this is the case but not down to 3.2.2 , it has been like it for about the last month. No matter what the reason, it’s brilliant so thanks C4 👍

1 hour ago, tdougray said:

I can confirm this is the case but not down to 3.2.2 , it has been like it for about the last month. No matter what the reason, it’s brilliant so thanks C4 👍

So the speed of the iOS app is increased further with 3.2.2? 
sorry I didn’t understand your reply .

1 hour ago, antneed said:
2 hours ago, tdougray said:

So the speed of the iOS app is increased further with 3.2.2? 
sorry I didn’t understand your reply .

The increase was seen around a month ago on 3.2.1 not because of the update to 3.2.2 👍

Haven’t seen this mentioned yet but the update to Composer HE 3.2.2 exposes the settings tab for the Chime (I got mine from @chopedogg88 - great transaction!) so end user can now configure tons of settings. Really helpful! And shout out to @msgreenf for suggesting I try upgrading Composer otherwise never would have discovered this!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.