C4 Forums | Control4

Missing Anything????

So, the house is done in April (or May), this is what I have planned/quoted so far:

4K Switch for 10 inputs - 23 outputs - Atlona

24 zone audio switch and Amps - Triad

Control 4 EA-5

4x Control 4 POE entertainment  & automation controller v2 (throughout the house to help zigbee)

4 Tivos to work with Xfinity

Ubiquiti wifi/network

Luma 16 Camera system with Luma cameras

Nest Doorbell

Nest Thermostat

Nest Fire Detectors

Nest Doorbell

YALE Door Automation

Wilson Electronics Cell Booster

10x Lighting control C4

Wifi Garage door openers.

Dam-it leak protection

Motorized Blinds - still working on this

Pool:

TruAudio SUBT12-CN-AS1-6

Theater:

Draper 200" Screen

Monitor Speakers 9X2X4

Wolf Cinema TXF-1100 Projector

Anthem Stereo

So, I have, TV's & Audio, good wifi coverage,  cell booster, blinds, water/leak protection, doorbell, thermostats, fire, door lock, lighting, garage doors, ....

Am I missing some automation that is "standard", the pool, hot tub, jump rock and slide will be controlled by Pentair.  I will have one camera and lighting control for the 1/2 sports court.

Thoughts????

11 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

Not sure if it's important to you or not - but I do not believe there is any integration between C4 and the Nest Hello/doorbell.

you can with a relay or ifttt. i would still get the Ds2 over the nest if you can just due to the non-cloud options and it being one of the fastest doorbells i have used compared to ring/nest.

51 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

also look at getting JAP for the matrix. @Kevin L and their team at blackwire even program the JAP system for you.

Please get more lighting it is absolutely my favorite feature of control4. Just absolutely sooo much you can do with it. 

Agree, but I don't need every light.  We are doing:

All outside low voltage lights, under cabinet, under bar, and a good bit in the theater room.

you seem to want to use Nest but if you use the Nest Doorbell - how is anyone in the house going to hear the the chime when it rings?  I know very little about Nest but know its a mostly closed API.

If you have 22 TVs in the house I am assuming its a large house.  Don't you need the doorbell chime in various areas?  You are already doing distributed audio so if you used the C4 doorstation you could send a chime around the house in any room that has centralized audio.

I am sure you can link Nest up to a standard chime, but the ability to sync within C4 for distributed audio is nice.  if music is playing and someone rings your doorbell, the music can mute (tv can pause, etc), chime is played on the speakers, then the music or TV can resume.  you can say after a certain hour if the doorbell rings dont play it on XYZ zones because its by the kids and they are asleep...lots of variables.

If really going all in with C4 I'd really look at other non Nest options

Just my $.02.

I don't see Home Security on your list.  We have DSC integrated with C4.  If you can, I would wire more motion sensors and integrate with C4.  They are cheaper than zigbee motion sensors.

Agree on the doorbell option.  If making this large of an investment, go with the DS2.  

For pool, get the new Intellicenter load center.  

Wifi/network - there has been a lot of discussion here on how Ubiquiti is not on the approved list.  Want want to look more into that since you're network will be the backbone of your entire automation experience.  

As others have said, you may run into massive audio issues if you don't have processing. Take a look at the Zektor AUD3200. You can get it as a 16x32 or 32x32 audio switch, and every input and output has audio delay adjustments. Amazing product.

Go with Jandy iAquaLink controls if you can. SO much better than Pentair.

Maxing out a LUMA recorder at 16 channels will be lackluster. Save a TON of money and go with LTS. You have a much wider ranger of cameras, much better NVR performance, higher resolution and quality options, and still will get Control4 integration. 

At a minimum, go with a Ring Pro or Ring Elite. You will get Control4 integration for audio announcements. 

Go with Lutron shades. You won't regret it. They're extremely quiet. Amazing integration and reliability.

Don't rely on wifi for garage doors. Use the Z2IO. Much more reliable, fully supported, and no cloud issues.

Interlogix has great Control4 integration for security. DSC too. 

If doing all Triad Amps, pay attention to how much power each zone needs. Since the 8 zone amp has the same internal power supply as the 4 zone, you're effectively cutting your power per speaker in half, when running all channels driven. Make sure this won't hurt you.

If you need additional zigbee, use the CA1. They're cheaper than the EA1 and EA1 POE, and they're POE enabled, so easier to hook up.

UBNT is fine. Make sure to use CloudKey and have access to log in to the system. Use as big of a POE switch as you can, rather than buying a bunch of smaller switches. Since UBNT is so cheap, get the HD access points, to get the most coverage and life out of the system. Go with the new Pro4 Router too. Should have plenty of power and headroom for your home.

4 hours ago, jesseasmith said:

Maxing out a LUMA recorder at 16 channels will be lackluster. Save a TON of money and go with LTS. You have a much wider ranger of cameras, much better NVR performance, higher resolution and quality options, and still will get Control4 integration. 

At a minimum, go with a Ring Pro or Ring Elite. You will get Control4 integration for audio announcements. 

Go with Lutron shades. You won't regret it. They're extremely quiet. Amazing integration and reliability.

Don't rely on wifi for garage doors. Use the Z2IO. Much more reliable, fully supported, and no cloud issues.

If doing all Triad Amps, pay attention to how much power each zone needs. Since the 8 zone amp has the same internal power supply as the 4 zone, you're effectively cutting your power per speaker in half, when running all channels driven. Make sure this won't hurt you.

If you need additional zigbee, use the CA1. They're cheaper than the EA1 and EA1 POE, and they're POE enabled, so easier to hook up.

UBNT is fine. Make sure to use CloudKey and have access to log in to the system. Use as big of a POE switch as you can, rather than buying a bunch of smaller switches. Since UBNT is so cheap, get the HD access points, to get the most coverage and life out of the system. Go with the new Pro4 Router too. Should have plenty of power and headroom for your home.

Can you comment on how the LTS NVR (looking at the LTN8708K-P8) compares to Luma in terms of NVR local/mobile interface and C4 integration?  If it's comparable, it looks like a good alternative.. it's smaller (1U vs 2U) and it costs much less.

Ring Pro/Elite over Doorbird?

With WIFI Calling on most phones these days, not sure why the need for Cellular Boost.

And I know nothing about the Triad amps, but I have the AudioControl matrix amps and they are awesome.  With these amps, you will not need a separate audio matrix switch.

I also echo the call for more lighting.  10 years ago I installed C4 in a home theater.  Within a few years, every switch in my house (over 150) were changed to C4.  Current house is now all C4.  It is amazing how comfortable you will get with automated lighting control, and from the size of your system, it looks like affordability is not an issue.  So do it, and I guarantee you will not regret it.

Enjoy!

9 hours ago, jesseasmith said:

As others have said, you may run into massive audio issues if you don't have processing. Take a look at the Zektor AUD3200. You can get it as a 16x32 or 32x32 audio switch, and every input and output has audio delay adjustments. Amazing product.

+1 for all points here although I would personally stick with Pentair as long as you are using the new Intellicenter.

14 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

Can you comment on how the LTS NVR (looking at the LTN8708K-P8) compares to Luma in terms of NVR local/mobile interface and C4 integration?  If it's comparable, it looks like a good alternative.. it's smaller (1U vs 2U) and it costs much less.

Ring Pro/Elite over Doorbird?

Yes. LTS have MANY options for NVR. You can get MUCH faster processors and power in the LTS units. LUMA's models are rebranded HikVision, but typically 2-3 years old. LTS will have most up to date stuff. The app is essentially identical. Just different logos. Also, if you're plugging your cameras into the network, instead of the NVR, you can save money and buy NVR's without POE ports. They have a wide selection of both 1U and 2U NVR's. LTS supports many more resolutions as well, and has units with more FPS recording, so you don't run in to issues like Luma', where the system can't record all channels at once.

Also, with LTS, you can enable a third stream, which will allow you to record at full resolution, 4MP/8MP, and stream 720 to your Control4 system. This gives you the best of both worlds. With Luma, you either have to downgrade resolution of all recordings to 720P, if you want a clear image on your Control4 system, or you have to use the second stream, which is fixed at 640x480, and looks grainy. A shame for such an expensive product.

As always, with any camera system, do NOT install dome cameras for any exterior installation. You will get IR reflections and halo effects at night, which will wash out the image. Go with turrets, or bullets only.

I would take Ring Pro/Elite over DoorBird any day. You won't get video through Control4, but you will get notifications. The Ring App is great, and recording is stupid cheap. ($36USB/year). Doorbird is massive, bulky, poor video quality, and terrible tech support. If you have a camera at the front door, you can program camera popup's on touch screens when someone presses the Ring doorbell. Not quite intercom, but a huge benefit over nothing. If not Ring, then go with DS2 mini and get actual native integration. It's STUPID FAST. Fastest video doorbell i've ever used. You can even have the DS2 record to your LTS NVR.

10 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

+1 for all points here although I would personally stick with Pentair as long as you are using the new Intellicenter.

Did Pentair finally ship their new system with IP? I know it's been "coming" for forever. Last I researched, it still hadn't been released.

13 hours ago, C4 User said:

With WIFI Calling on most phones these days, not sure why the need for Cellular Boost.

And I know nothing about the Triad amps, but I have the AudioControl matrix amps and they are awesome.  With these amps, you will not need a separate audio matrix switch.

I also echo the call for more lighting.  10 years ago I installed C4 in a home theater.  Within a few years, every switch in my house (over 150) were changed to C4.  Current house is now all C4.  It is amazing how comfortable you will get with automated lighting control, and from the size of your system, it looks like affordability is not an issue.  So do it, and I guarantee you will not regret it.

Enjoy!

If you design a home around wifi calling, I would highly recommend a more managed wireles solution. UBNT is great value, but will lack with things that require low latency hand offs. I would HIGHLY recommend Ruckus ZoneDirector and ZoneFlex for the best wifi calling performance. You will have much better performance and less dropped calls with this, over UBNT, if using Wifi Calling.

Also, wifi calling is great for the home owner and his/her family. But cell boosters will benefit anyone in the home, not just the home owners. And will also work even if internet is down. I design DAS in all my new builds because of this.

9 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Yes... finally... a couple of months ago.

Homeation driver, I'm guessing? I don't know that I would want to rely on a brand new product that doesn't have a history of reliability and support. Jandy iAquaLink gets the vote from me. Free driver additionally, and not having to worry about a small third-party driver developer for a brand new, untested product.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:21 PM, C4 User said:

wifi calling can be limited. i have yet to see a phone that can transition from wifi call to cellular base. and most have a hard time switching to wifi when on a cellular call. the repeaters are awesome as they just boost the already available signal from nearby towers so your phone can't even tell the difference. 

20 hours ago, jesseasmith said:

Homeation driver, I'm guessing? I don't know that I would want to rely on a brand new product that doesn't have a history of reliability and support. Jandy iAquaLink gets the vote from me. Free driver additionally, and not having to worry about a small third-party driver developer for a brand new, untested product.

AFAIK, the driver was free. It works well for me. Much better than the previous Pentair Integration.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:37 PM, jesseasmith said:

Can you explain the delay adjustment issue? Are you talking about running TV over the distributed audio system? I guess I always thought of distributed audio as something different from say home theater audio. But can you use the distributed audio to do both? If so, I'm just curious, how would that work with 5.1 surround sound. Is the Zektor smart enough to enable 5 speakers in a room + sub when you are watching a movie, and pass the appropriate audio to each channel? If so, that would be pretty neat. 

9 minutes ago, terminaldisclaimer said:

Can you explain the delay adjustment issue? Are you talking about running TV over the distributed audio system? I guess I always thought of distributed audio as something different from say home theater audio. But can you use the distributed audio to do both? If so, I'm just curious, how would that work with 5.1 surround sound. Is the Zektor smart enough to enable 5 speakers in a room + sub when you are watching a movie, and pass the appropriate audio to each channel? If so, that would be pretty neat. 

my kitchen is next to my living room and in my kitchen there is a door to our patio.  my kitchen does not have a TV nor does my patio, but both have speakers for audio.  If I have a ball game on in the living room, I can pipe the audio into the kitchen or patio and its all in sync.  Without proper delays, the audio in the room with the TV would not be in sync with the other rooms...and when watching a ball game - that stinks!  1 room knows a second or two ahead of when someone scores or gets out or whatever.

That is how one can simply explain audio delay for a whole home set up with both distributed audio and video.  the audio in my example is audio from the cable box just like the cable box is providing audio/video to the living room TV. 

I use a Video Storm solution - Netplay for Video and CMX for the audio switch.  all works perfect within C4.

Archived