C4 Forums | Control4

Should I stay or should I go?

When it comes to lighting, you pay for what you get.  You can buy $20-$30 cheap switches and dimmers on Amazon that will work.  Can you do keypads?  Can you do single/double/triple taps?  Can you do press/hold?  Will you have up/down arrows?  Can you do engravings with backlighting as well as status feedback with LEDs?  The answer is no.  You can do that with Control4.  To some degree you can get a lot (not all) of those features with Lutron.  But once you rip out all of your C4 stuff and get Lutron across the board it is $$$.  Buy a few more C4 lighting pieces to finish off what you need, get Composer Home Edition and you can do 95% of the programming yourself.  The cost is minimal vs rip and replace with another quality system that is feature rich.

Just need simple on/off - sure you can do a $20-$30 Zwave device.  Will it talk to your music, and blinds, and TV/Projector and alarm system, maybe, maybe not.

4 minutes ago, therockhr said:

So considering their past, instead of throwing around threats of shutting the integration down, Control4 (you seem to speak on their behalf a lot so i am assuming you either work there is at least have contacts) should be understanding and maybe publish some official docs or at the least just pretend to not care.

Understanding of unauthorized use? Nah, that is taken seriously.

Publishing an official doc condemning the integration followed by a legal cease and desist is something I could look into. Probably not what you were wanting by publishing official docs.

It's easier when the integration is approached honestly, otherwise my job is to ensure it is shut down.

3 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

Publishing an official doc condemning the integration followed by a legal cease and desist is something I could look into. Probably not what you were wanting by publishing official docs.

It's easier when the integration is approached honestly, otherwise my job is to ensure it is shut down.

LOL, if that is in fact your job, time for a 360 degree review

5 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

LOL, if that is in fact your job, time for a 360 degree review

There is a lot of technical debt and thanks for your work in pointing it out. 😉 Your help is appreciated. Not everything has been reviewed, but will be. Your work just bumped up the priority of the mobile apps and cloud interactions.

2 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

The is a lot of technical debt and thanks for your work in pointing it out. 😉 Your help is appreciated. Not everything has been reviewed, but will be. Your work just bumped up the priority of the mobile apps and cloud interactions.

This is second funniest post of the day, given the competence displayed to date. Plus  I couldn't care less, I'm already out the door. 

17 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

When it comes to lighting, you pay for what you get.  You can buy $20-$30 cheap switches and dimmers on Amazon that will work.  Can you do keypads?  Can you do single/double/triple taps?  Can you do press/hold?  Will you have up/down arrows?  Can you do engravings with backlighting as well as status feedback with LEDs?  The answer is no.  You can do that with Control4.  To some degree you can get a lot (not all) of those features with Lutron.  But once you rip out all of your C4 stuff and get Lutron across the board it is $$$.  Buy a few more C4 lighting pieces to finish off what you need, get Composer Home Edition and you can do 95% of the programming yourself.  The cost is minimal vs rip and replace with another quality system that is feature rich.

Just need simple on/off - sure you can do a $20-$30 Zwave device.  Will it talk to your music, and blinds, and TV/Projector and alarm system, maybe, maybe not.

yes yes yes and yes.  can't do engraving AFAIK.

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 12.46.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 12.46.31 PM.png

14 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

This is comical. Control4 benefitted considerably by the EV integrations and others that were not authorized. You taking this attitude is a joke.

Considering all the ways to crack composer, you arent very good at your job.

Just now, therockhr said:

This is comical. Control4 benefitted considerably by the EV integrations and others that were not authorized. You taking this attitude is a joke.

Considering all the ways to crack composer, you arent very good at your job.

Like I said, legacy technical debt. The heightened attention to security didn't start until mid to end of 2019.

17 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

yes yes yes and yes.  can't do engraving AFAIK.

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 12.46.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 12.46.31 PM.png

Fair but you are locked into 3 equal buttons and 2 smaller buttons.  Grant it its $50.  but like you said no engravings/backlighting and with the c4 keypad you can do various configs to get to up to 6 buttons.  I also see press 1x or press/hold, do not see 2x or 3x presses to get different commands.

Again C4 and Lutron lights are premium, pay a price but you get features.  For $50 what you are linking to isnt bad, but its still some features short.  Is that worth $200 to people, well that is for them to decide which is the beauty of capitalism. 

2 hours ago, Dunamivora said:

There is a lot of technical debt and thanks for your work in pointing it out. 😉 Your help is appreciated. Not everything has been reviewed, but will be. Your work just bumped up the priority of the mobile apps and cloud interactions.

It’s good to know how things get prioritized; trolling and spite. 

Any way I could troll you into getting a color wheel added? What a freakin joke. 

2 hours ago, wnpublic said:

The OS2-based integration/"hack" has been around since 2018, haven't seen the top men at C4 shut it down yet....the REST API integration is newer.

I'm not saying they WILL - just pointed out why they might care (and that this would be about integrating C4 and Home Assistant, vs a full DIY Home Assistant setup)

4 minutes ago, therockhr said:

It’s good to know how things get prioritized; trolling and spite. 

Any way I could troll you into getting a color wheel added? What a freakin joke. 

I think that feature would be awesome as well, so there is no convincing required on that part.

I'll check what is going on in that regards and see if I can prod someone that it is still very desired.

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

This is becoming a real popcorn thread…

Indeed.  But apparently you can use it to give a shout out to your favorite bugs/missing features, which is nice.

• Better handling of security cameras please.  Telling customers on Day1 of their Control4 experience that they are better off viewing cameras in a separate app feels a bit of a punch in the face.
  • Intercom still flaky after all these years.
  • +1 on color wheel

If only these were 'legacy technical debt'. 🤣

20 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

Indeed.  But apparently you can use it to give a shout out to your favorite bugs/missing features, which is nice.

• Better handling of security cameras please.  Telling customers on Day1 of their Control4 experience that they are better off viewing cameras in a separate app feels a bit of a punch in the face.
  • +1 on color wheel

If only these were 'legacy technical debt'. 🤣

Not to mention bringing back a C4 Apple Watch app (which is still advertised in places despite not working since OS3 came out) and fixing the responsiveness issues on iOS, especially as it pertains to how long it takes Sessions to respond.

2 hours ago, OceanDad said:

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the touchscreen, OSD, and app resolutions. Control4 systems do not downscale the camera streams and have a max resolution of 1080p if OSD is not used and 720p if OSD is used.

Supporting higher resolution is definitely a known request.

2 hours ago, OceanDad said:

If this is occuring on 3.2.2 with the touchscreens and Android app, then it would be good to know.

If it is the Apple Intercom Anywhere app, then I would be patient until the combined app solution is available.

5 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the touchscreen, OSD, and app resolutions. Control4 systems do not downscale the camera streams and have a max resolution of 1080p if OSD is not used and 720p if OSD is used.

Supporting higher resolution is definitely a known request.

Additionally, supporting snapshots for UniFi cameras would be very appreciated in navigators and push notifications.  In one thread, @Cinegrationwrote that the issue with not being able to display snapshots in navigators is that C4 “doesn’t support different domains for the snapshot and h264”.  Fixing that would be very appreciated as noted by other users in related threads. 

Also huge +1 for color wheel - current color bulb control is totally unusable 

Otherwise our C4 system is fantastic and (for us) a huge improvement from the DIY systems we used  in the past 

4 minutes ago, Dueport said:

Additionally, supporting snapshots for UniFi cameras would be very appreciated in navigators and push notifications.  In one thread, @Cinegrationwrote that the issue with not being able to display snapshots in navigators is that C4 “doesn’t support different domains for the snapshot and h264”.  Fixing that would be very appreciated as noted by other users in related threads.

I will check if this has been put in our system as a request for the camera driver. Seems like a reasonable request.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

Not to mention bringing back a C4 Apple Watch app (which is still advertised in places despite not working since OS3 came out) and fixing the responsiveness issues on iOS, especially as it pertains to how long it takes Sessions to respond.

I have seen the Apple Watch used in OS3 by pairing with the phone and sending push notifications.

As for the Apple Watch app itself, that was axed for OS3 entirely last I checked, but I'll check again since I last checked back in 3.1.0.

iOS session info delays were necessary to try and improve the initial connection time for the app.

2 hours ago, Dunamivora said:

If it is the Apple Intercom Anywhere app, then I would be patient until the combined app solution is available.

That’s an ‘interesting’ conversation to have with customers who wonder why their old Ring camera iOS app worked better than their new $50k fancy home automation system.  

Likewise the conversation regarding the hardware limitations in respect of camera viewing.  ‘But I thought this was the latest and greatest…’

’Well it is, but if you wouldn’t mind just downloading this weird NVMS app onto your iPhone it will be… better.’

Seriously.  ‘Legacy technical debt’ is right up there with ‘known unknowns’ and ‘alternative truth’.  

It depends on who sold it to you. I know plenty of dealers that are up front about the limitations, quirks, and standard features in order to set appropriate expectations.

Totally understand it doesn't match the ultra high def streaming options available on products in the current market, but those systems are dedicated to that purpose rather than being a single location to control everything in a home.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.