C4 Forums | Control4

Cowboy Dealer Has Switched-Off My Programming

Dear C4 Forums,

I do not know where to turn to hence why I have created an account and come here. It is currently a Friday Evening and since 5pm, my programming has been completely stripped from my C4 system. None of my buttons work, I am a single parent and have 2 kids at home with me who are scared. We are currently lighting our new-build property which was completed 3 months ago with candles.

Our control4 programmer has been dodgy singe the beginning. Always getting the programming wrong or faulty. For example, we bought Hikvision and Texecom because of his recommendation of plugging it into C4, however for 6 months we were unable to arm our alarm as his programming was clearly wrong. He then removed Texecom from the system completely, even though I was charged for it. He always requested more and more money for the programming work which we agreed upon where his excuse was "prices have gone up because of COVID and BREXIT". I gave him the benefit of the doubt, however after so many failed programs and a complete lack of automation in my house I finally told him that I want to look for another dealer. To which point, he has now stripped my entire system of everything.

Now I found that I can download the Composer HE system, however I cannot find the download link on my customer.control4 account, I only see Composer ME. Could anybody please help me in rectifying this situation? I have a backup of the systems programming which I want to apply and just get this dealer off.

Even worse, he accessed my system without permission or me validating his entry to program. He has been doing this for months and I have only realised now that this is wrong. Please can anybody suggest anything?

If you are in US it is actually illegal to remove “stuff” if you have paid for it. You may point out to your old dealer that you can sue for all the money paid to him unless he restores the system. Then after he restores the system that, you can change the dealer of record in the C4 site, and revoke his access, so he cannot access your site again. The reason for that is if he truly removed all drivers and connections (as opposed to programming), a remote dealer cannot program your system because they do not know what you have (lights, etc) . You would need a local dealer to do that. So getting the old dealer to restore the system is faster and easier. Then a remote dealer can do the rest in terms of the programming you want. I would also have new dealer change the director password so old dealer has no way to get in. Be careful though since the old dealer can password protect the director to make it hard for new dealer.  Composer HE won’t help you since you need Pro to do any real programming. If you have a backup of your system there are ways to upload into director to make this much easier. Sorry this happened. I have gone through 4 dealers locally (two are in jail, one in drug rehab, one never answers calls). It is crazy how C4 let’s anyone be a dealer. Find a good remote dealer and you will be happier. 

16 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I would contact control4 directly they are great at advocating for customers 

This - C4 has a toll free # (at least in the US) and there is a customer advocacy group and if they know of issues with dealers they could remove their licenses and also give you credits towards hiring another dealer to finish off the job.

By the way, make sure its not something you've done wrong, or a buggy driver too. If you introduce buggy programming (like a loop) the unit may be crashing before it saves the programming.

It could also potentially be a buggy driver that didn't maintain backwards compatibility properly during an upgrade too I guess

Hello all,

I am overwhelmed with the responses I got to this post, I was anxious that I would not get any. You have all reassured me that I can get this Control4 system back up to spec and that I have been messaged around with. To answer all of your questions - Yes I have paid in full, In fact I paid in full around this time last year. 

I just cannot believe the nerve of some people. Luckily I created a backup of their programming just in case they try to do any other funny business.

Agreed need to report to corporate C4 have his license revoked. Sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing on top of essentially stealing from a customer. Both things they don't want an give the brand/dealer model a bad name. I think the one thing you'll find everyone here actually agrees on is having a good dealer you get along with goes a long way. Whether that be remote or local.

Ah lawyers. Ensure you have a good one (as in one who's intent is good), because it's never as simple as it "being illegal to remove programming/software settings". There's a LOT of grey area there (legally that is - morally it's terrible no matter what, but law and morals are far removed in many cases) - and I've seen cases where this sort of thing just becomes a nice way for a lawyer to milk you for hourly rates.

Just to play devil's advocate (pun intended) - do know that there could be many other reasons for a system to blanket stop working, or even completely 'innocent' reasons for projects to clear (such as failed memory/storage).

Regardless, a new dealer seems in order - Dan should do you good - and yes, if there's any indicator of wrong doing, do indeed get Control4/SnapOne involved!

Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.