C4 Forums | Control4

HALO Touch- how’s it going?

2 hours ago, Double D said:

Having the nav pad on the Touch sometimes operate the source, and other times operate the menu on the Halo screen.  That’s what has been asked for, correct?

Isn't this exactly what the non-touch Halo remotes do? And the SR series, for that matter?

10 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

I would lose my mind if the D-pad operated the touchscreen...that would be extremely confusing.

Having just got the remote, I would say it's a bit confusing not having a hybrid approach, especially if you're used to one-handed remotes.

I think it would have been beneficial if you selected "watch" when the options showed up, you can either pick on the screen or use the D-button to navigate and select.

Have used for a few days in two houses. So far

build quality v good

touchscreen perfectly responsive 

connectivity consistent. Big improvement over Neeo

button layout takes getting used to but just because it is new design. Buttons seem placed well

Battery drained quickly in first house (ruckus) but not as quickly in second house (ubiquiti). I let firmware update before taking out of docking station. But perhaps there is more downloading to do when first set up? If not, then battery life would  issue in first house but in second home seems adequate. Again not sure if due to initial downloads or due to radios. 

That said I still prefer the 260s for now but haven’t yet tried Halo Touch w voice control. 

So far so good with the Halo touch remotes.  I bought 3 non-touch originally to try them for 4 months.  Those were a better user experience to the SR260's and concurred by the wife which is a large factor.  We received 1 touch remote 2 weeks ago and within a matter of days it was the go-to choice when they were sitting next to each other as an option.  Our use case is Apple TV and Kaleidescape so it's not taken thru a ton of paces or customizations; we use Josh for other control commands and at present some of those items like shades are not available as we know on the remote. Battery life is treated like a phone.  Charger is within a few feet of seating / bed areas (5 additional units at present) and battery life is a non-factor as a result.  Responsiveness has been good and no drops or reliability issues in the few weeks of owning so purchased more thru the dealer.  The non-touch was no issues either.  As far as voice, it's non-committal yet since Josh is used in those zones.  For a few zones where don't have it installed, we are holding out between integrating Siri or if Josh/Control4 start acting in the best interest of the customer base and get the integration for the remotes done.  Sold the 3 non-Touch so we are 'pot-committed' for the Touch units for the foreseeable future.

15 hours ago, gregheard said:

We received 1 touch remote 2 weeks ago and within a matter of days it was the go-to choice when they were sitting next to each other as an option

Thanks for posting your experience! What was it about the Touch that made it the go-to for you?

2 hours ago, MikeK said:

Thanks for posting your experience! What was it about the Touch that made it the go-to for you?

For me individually the size and feel of the remote was the primary difference and better experience.  In addition we don't use any of the number, info, etc items on the non-Touch so it became an extra amount of 'real estate' on the remote that wasn't needed.  We had DirecTV still while using the non-Touch at the same as doing a trial on YouTube TV to see if we liked it in preparation for NFL sunday ticket.  When using the DirecTV we used the number functions quite a bit since we knew the channel numbers of preference to go to.  However, when we were using YouTube TV, the other streaming apps on Apple TV & Roku, and Kaleidescape we never used the additional buttons on the non-Halo Touch.  Then when we purchased 1 Halo Touch I set it up and gave that one along with the non-Touch to the wife.  By this point we had removed DirecTV and now just distributing Apple TV throughout the home.  After the few days of her use, she much preferred the Touch version.  The primary reasons for her was the size, touch functions for the lights and thermostat, and comparability to the NEEO and iOS app she used (she never liked the SR260).   

The other reason was we have family visit a lot and they were familiar with the NEEO's in the guest bedrooms so this was a more natural progression for them we felt.  So far no regrets

On 9/3/2023 at 7:29 AM, lippavisual said:

For those with Xfinity still, voice capabilities have been great so far.  I’ve only been using it since yesterday morning, but hasn’t missed a beat yet.  The wife is much happier now with the Halo. 

We are demoing the Xfinity and AppleTV voice control on the show floor at CEDIA (switching from one immediately to the other, and vice-versa), and I've been impressed with how accurately it's working in such an awful environment.

CEDIA is swamped with wifi, and loud, and both the Xfinity and AppleTV voice options are working very well.

RyanE

Just got the touch this week. We use Xfinity and Apple TV mostly. Now have SR-260, Halo, and Halo touch. My impressions

Hardware

• Build quality is good
  • Touch screen responsiveness is mediocre when swiping
  • Not having the 3 programmable hard buttons is a big miss

Software

• Lots of room for improvement
  • The cable number buttons work surprisingly well, even if not as well as physical buttons
  • Integration of cable box control and favorite channels is really bad.
  • Favorite channels need icon revisions, lots of dark blues and grays on black background icons.
  • No gesture controls for the Apple TV
  • There are a lot of ATV buttons that could be added to the screen, right now just 'Home'. 

Overall the remote is fine. None of the 3 are perfect, so one needs to know what is personally important to make a choice. I'd personally like a Halo Touch with 3 programmable buttons, and with SR-260 key layout including the number pad, and a longer-life battery.

All good points...although I'm still in the opinion that there isn't a need for 3 programmable buttons when you already have a screen full of (much prettier and customizable) soft buttons that are a click away.  I guess if they made it easier to get back to the favorites screen that would help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.