C4 Forums | Control4

Water leak detector

fdastoor

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

Cloud dependent ones have a fault if you lose power or internet access.  Alarm panels usually have battery back up so they just flat out work 

This is our preferred method.  But you can also use something like GRI 2600 (either 2 wire or 4 wire conductor) if you have an open Contact/power on your processor.  You will need a dealer to add/bind.

Regardless of what option you choose, I also highly recommend @Cinegration Water Agent, click here for driver details

I use water sensors tied into my DSC Alarm.  I then have a Water Cop that is tied into my controller via a relay.  When alarm sensors detect water, water cop shuts off.  I do like the cloud based ones because they can monitor even smaller drips but I’d still keep hardwired alarm sensors in most fault prone areas to be safe.  

4 minutes ago, prabeau said:

Loss of power is a big one.

No lights, no AV, no using thousands of $ of automation, no sump pump , 12V alarm battery dies... it's a question of priorities.

Went the generator route. 

Generator, 2 120v sump pumps/wells, auto water shutoff and a water powered backup sump pump. Really don't want my basement flooded lol.

13 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Generator, 2 120v sump pumps/wells, auto water shutoff and a water powered backup sump pump. Really don't want my basement flooded lol.

Same boat here.  Though I did water back ups before I added an automatic whole home generator.  Though still peace of mind if the main pump just breaks.  That said I have wireless tag sensors attached to the pipe in the pit so if it gets wet because water levels creep up I’ll know before it overflows. 

We have Honeywell water sensors at all likely sources for overflow (washer, fridge, HVAC, etc) so those are monitored by alarm company which is a nice peace of mind - and they're integrated into C4 for programming and automatic shut off.  We also have Flo shutoff valve which is integrated into C4 for shutoff if Flo doesn't decide to shut things off on its own.  So hopefully between the Flo AI and the alarm company we'll never have a serious flood.....really don't want that either 😃

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 8:25 AM, prabeau said:

Loss of power is a big one.

No lights, no AV, no using thousands of $ of automation, no sump pump , 12V alarm battery dies... it's a question of priorities.

Went the generator route. 

Being on a well, no power means no well pump means no water pressure means leak stops. 

Im going to replace the well pump switch with a C4 one but I need to replace the tiny back box first. 

On 9/15/2021 at 6:52 PM, Dave w said:

I have been using Flume as an alternative to Flo.  No integration, but its been very reliable and very accurate for past year.  

https://flumewater.com/

Yes Flume is very reliable, they are using AI and logic to determine water loads and leaks, issue is they need regular non shielded meters, didn’t work with my meter as it was magnetically shielded to prevent tampering! They asked me to install a regular meter before or after this one, I didn’t have the space more over authorities declined my request 😀

On 9/15/2021 at 12:52 PM, Dave w said:

I have been using Flume as an alternative to Flo.  No integration, but its been very reliable and very accurate for past year.  

https://flumewater.com/

I wonder with IFTTT if you could hack something.  Flume sends you an email or a text with an alert.  Maybe you could set up a trigger with ifttt on incoming messages and have it send a command to Control4?

few cloud hops but it’s something?

On 9/14/2021 at 8:30 AM, Neo1738 said:

Probably a dumb question but want to make sure I understand since I’m just starting to look into this option (water powered sump pump backup and auto shutoff). Does the shutoff get installed after the backup connection? I wouldn’t want the system to detect water somewhere and close a valve before the back up pump or it won’t work. 

Beginning the planning process here so any info would be appreciated.

27 minutes ago, Jakelay said:

Probably a dumb question but want to make sure I understand since I’m just starting to look into this option (water powered sump pump backup and auto shutoff). Does the shutoff get installed after the backup connection? I wouldn’t want the system to detect water somewhere and close a valve before the back up pump or it won’t work. 

Beginning the planning process here so any info would be appreciated.

That is how I have mine set up.  First is the auto water back up, then is my auto water off then are two lines - one internal and one for sprinklers.  So if water is detected the auto water shut off turns off water to the house/sprinkler but the backup sump pump water can still flow.  Only risk is that line/pipe isn’t what’s leaking.  Luckily my piping is exposed so I can easily put eyes on it to see if the copper line running to water back up is whats leaking or not.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.