C4 Forums | Control4

PSA: Apple TV tvOS 13 killed my remote programming

pinkoos

yeah I hear those work too, but everything I use is apple and just having all my iTunes music, playlists etc  / videos / photos, access to prime / xm radio / my Plex server, etc. all in one location just makes it easy for us.  I just go to one device and have everything there..  It just works for us..  I have multiple Apple TV's in my system so all of us can use them and not have to disrupt someone else using it in a different zone.  I hear you can add all these different drivers etc to have them as watch and then go to specific devices, but this just works for us.

5 minutes ago, Psykopup said:

Honestly, I'm upset with my local "Smart Home Pro" company that installed my system. I did NOT want an Apple TV. I'm an Android user and I think Apple should have stuck with just making Macs... which I love. I asked my local installer about getting a Roku, Chromecast or Amazon Fire instead. He insisted that Apple TV was the way to go. It has been nothing but problems. Every time I had an issue, I had to contact them. The support was free for 1 year, but now it costs $100 per incident. Then, I learned that they did not turn on automatic updates in my C4 system. It seems to me that they either aren't fully educated on this technology, or they are trying make money where they can.

I would be upset too. Roku is hands down the easiest and most rock-solid to integrate. You can have drivers that auto start the apps. So you select Netflix, then you're already there.

3 minutes ago, CTO13 said:

yeah I hear those work too, but everything I use is apple and just having all my iTunes music, playlists etc  / videos / photos, access to prime / xm radio / my Plex server, etc. all in one location just makes it easy for us.  I just go to one device and have everything there..  It just works for us..  I have multiple Apple TV's in my system so all of us can use them and not have to disrupt someone else using it in a different zone.  I hear you can add all these different drivers etc to have them as watch and then go to specific devices, but this just works for us.

Roku has an Apple app. 😉

yeah I hear that you can do the drivers, that's cool too but that means more devices listed under watch or listen..  My list is long enough, so I'd rather eliminate the # of listed devices and just have a few and then that's it..  so it works now so fingers crossed

that's cool..  not sure its for us.. It took me a long time to get my family to understand how to use what we have.. add changes just adds more challenges..  I added c4 into my parents house as well.. luckily we haven't upgraded or changed anything since first installed.. man that took over a year to even get them to remember how to turn on cable box and how it turns on tV..  lol

Honestly, I'm upset with my local "Smart Home Pro" company that installed my system. I did NOT want an Apple TV. I'm an Android user and I think Apple should have stuck with just making Macs... which I love. I asked my local installer about getting a Roku, Chromecast or Amazon Fire instead. He insisted that Apple TV was the way to go. It has been nothing but problems. Every time I had an issue, I had to contact them. The support was free for 1 year, but now it costs $100 per incident. Then, I learned that they did not turn on automatic updates in my C4 system. It seems to me that they either aren't fully educated on this technology, or they are trying make money where they can.
oh no way, Roku is the way to go. Honestly, buy a roku pro and I will set it for free for you. Buy a Roku Ultra 4k, put it in your rack and wire it up and configure it and message me. I would love to get you going with Roku. Your dealer is wrong that Apple TV is better.

32 minutes ago, CTO13 said:

yeah I hear that you can do the drivers, that's cool too but that means more devices listed under watch or listen..  My list is long enough, so I'd rather eliminate the # of listed devices and just have a few and then that's it..  so it works now so fingers crossed

For what it's worth, I have Alexa set up for this, and can tell her to "Turn on: Cable TV, Netflix, Amazon, Acorn, Hulu..." etc.  Much easier than doing via a Remote, Phone or T3, and this has been about 98% reliable.  For me, this gives family friendly control over what can be a very complex beast under the hood.

Cool. Yeah we are not into using voice.  I don’t even use Siri.  Just not into the voice stuff.  I bought a apple pod tried it for a day then I just gave it to my dealer.  Same with Alexa.  But I hear a lot of people like it.  For now what we have works for now 

21 hours ago, Psykopup said:

Roku, Chromecast or Amazon Fire instead. He insisted that Apple TV was the way to go.

😮

To be fair, Chromecast is limited by it's nature, and while a neat device I occasionally use, it's not a replacement. Amazon Fire has had it's own share of issues, so I can't truly blame dealers for trying to steer people away from it.

Roku though....or even use an Android TV box (NVidia Shield) with Videostorm's USBIR device....

To be COMPLETELY fair, overall AppleTV has worked quite well up until recently.

21 hours ago, Psykopup said:

Then, I learned that they did not turn on automatic updates in my C4 system.

Hmm. The system NEVER updates automatically, this would be driver updates, and I have to point out that the older in driver option to auto update has been dead for awhile.

Also, the newer driver manager auto update (compatible devices only) is actually off by default, and it's not exactly 'in your face' to turn it on so it IS easily missed (happens to me too sometimes, though a subsequent visit or even remote log-in usually catches it)

• 2 weeks later...
You all knew he meant he just preferred the Apple TV interface (as lots of others do). Just stop it.
Yes we knew he meant he refers the AppleTV interface. He said it.
We're curious about the "much better viewing experience" part.

Did I stepped on some one toes? Anyways, for sure slicker interface, better navigation with apps, over all polished experience, etc.  Don’t you still have customers that prefers Apple to Roku? Am not talking about integration now.
No sir, I mean the entire navigation with the apps, folders, transitions, Menus, App look and feel the entire TvOS experience is much better and is so polished.  I do have Roku launching quick Apps like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime via MiniApps, my Kids love it but I still prefer to go to ATV and move from there.
Have you used ATV on Roku?

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

yeah I've gone over and over again with my dealer on this.. any zone using the triad amplifier has to be reset when I rest the Leaf 20x20 matrix..  I dread resetting it unless I'm home so I can load ea zone and hit off individually..  
they told me they can't...  something due to the Leaf..  I've slowly added Marantz to many zones so I only have a few zones on the Triad amp, but anything not on a Marantz has to be reset every time I reset the Matrix

I don’t have to reset the amplifier. Just when I reset the leaf 20x20 matrix all zones tied to the triad AMPLIFI plays sound.  Loud too.  So then I have to go to each zone hit listen select a device then hit volume then it goes down the turn off and it’s all good until next time I reset the matrix.  If I reset ea5 it seems like I always have to reset the leaf matrix otherwise stuff doesn’t work.  Luckily I don’t have to reset ea5 that often but when I do it’s always a pain 
Why not write a macro for that?

As an android switch to Roku.

You should be able to do this without a truck roll. Get the ultra plug it in where the atv was and they the dealer to add the driver and bindings.

22 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

Have you used the ATV interface on Roku?

Yeah it is nice. I don’t ever use my old ATV3 because of it. But if the new Apple TV had the same solid Control4 integration as Roku, I would prefer the new Apple TV. Biggest reason is personal preference but there are some apps that are better on the ATV like the ESPN app where you can view multiple games at once. That said, I’m very happy with my Roku. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.