C4 Forums | Control4

Josh Ai

C4CA

3 minutes ago, cnicholson said:

How smooth (or not) was the integration and performance?

Integration with c4 is completely automated.  Minor tweaks in josh to naming might be needed depending how good names are in c4.  I think I have 9 or 10 nanos now.  

they perform awesome. Reach out to @chopedogg88 for them and help. 

• 3 weeks later...

Agree, just did the training and got certified. Amazing tech. The natural language processing are game changing vs google/amazon. eg Turn on CNN...turns on correct TV, changes channel to correct channel...and this was with almost no programming...very easy to use. Costs a lot, but you get what you pay for = bulletproof, easy to use...and most importantly = wife approval (and she never like other options). She asked me to install more around the house! Tech support is unreal and very pleasant. 

For most people, Micros are the way to go. Nanos/Core add more price and unless you want it in the wall (and there are kits to put micros in the wall or ceiling) or don't want to add a sonos port to your system. Reach out if you have any questions.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Is a stand alone micro the equivalent of an amazon echo dot?

What @SpencerTsaid.  For the audiocast feature you have to have the Core in your project.  But you can use Micros versus straight Nanos no problem.  The issue is that you “may” be able to use in S. Africa with a special request to Josh.  Right now it boils down to a language thing.  Josh currently is English only and they are working on having Josh better understand commands with more English dialects or accents.  

1 minute ago, wnpublic said:

Honest question: is this a generational thing? I’m in my 50s, and neither I nor my spouse wants to interact with anything via speech. 

It’s more of the issue of the maturation of home automation versus generational.  The future is voice, motion, occupancy and fencing.  The idea is to automate systems so that a separate device ( remote, app, etc) is unnecessary for many common things. This circumvents remotes, switches, button presses etc.  

Walk into a room and the lights come on, the lights stay on as long as you’re in the room, temperature adjusts, potentially your music plays and any additional commands can be issued while you’re shaving (voice) etc. The fencing piece adds that the system knows it’s you versus another household member.  
Hate to blow up what little we know at the moment, but it appears that the upcoming series of remotes will incorporate voice at least for AV to start.  

core adds considerable processing power, speeding up the micros too (even with no nanos in project). Also when using only micros (no core) you are supposed to have at least one hardwired (rest can be wireless), with a core you don't have to. And the biggest reason is to use audio cast with micros (sound through your speakers, automatically lowers volume when you say Hey Josh and then resumes sound at previous level). A micro speaker volume alone in Theater room would be too low to hear anything if main speakers do not lower when you try to issue a command (eg pause movie). So core+micro is the ideal situation

2 hours ago, time2jet said:

What @SpencerTsaid.  For the audiocast feature you have to have the Core in your project.  But you can use Micros versus straight Nanos no problem.  The issue is that you “may” be able to use in S. Africa with a special request to Josh.  Right now it boils down to a language thing.  Josh currently is English only and they are working on having Josh better understand commands with more English dialects or accents.  

Josh looks great but when I contacted them a few months ago they said it would not work in South Africa 😢.  I am keen to give it  a try but it may be an expensive flop!

7 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Josh looks great but when I contacted them a few months ago they said it would not work in South Africa 😢.  I am keen to give it  a try but it may be an expensive flop!

Just speculating, but this may be legal/rights/licensing related to something in their stack rather than technological. (Not uncommon in product and may also be enforced via localization in addition to distribution.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.