C4 Forums | Control4

Seeking customer review before installation.

Vipul

Hello,

I'm shopping around for a complete smart home system for my home. Any of you C4 customers please share your experience with the system.

1) What do you like?

2) What do you not like?

Please share your personal thoughts, your help would be of much value to me. 

Control4 is awesome. I like that it integrates literally everything in my phone and is dead simple to use. A/V, shades, lights, security, pool, intercom, etc… all on one interface. 

One beef you’ll hear from people is that it’s not DIY. Adding or removing devices requires a paid professional. That said, this is something that’s done pretty rarely in most situations. I wish the phone app loaded faster. 

Like: it integrates with everything. And it is pretty stable.

Dislike: NEEO remote. It’s a little personal preference, but it’s not as slick as it seems. First, the touchscreen is a little wonky. Battery life isn’t great. The WI-FI is finicky. And no backlight is annoying. I’d strongly suggest seeing if you could test it out first before dropping the money on it.

In all of my Control4 installations, I always use Lutron lighting (with C4 keypads). I do this so I’m not entirely reliant on C4. In addition, Lutron is basically the industry gold standard for lighting control.

I’m also torn on the touchscreens. In my last house, I had a few of them—and I rarely used them. I decided for my new house the problem was that I didn’t have enough of them. So I put them in more places. I still don’t use them! That said, they are pretty slick, which is why I’m torn. But this is simply personal preference. They work great, I just find that I don’t use them. I typically just use my phone or the remote.

I also recently switched to a C4 thermostat. It’s not as slick looking as a Nest or ecobee. But the integration is second to none. I’d suggest getting one.

It's fine.  The lighting hardware and control is top notch, intuitive, and stable.  If you are the sort of person that wants distributed/matrixed video and audio, so that a video or audio feed can move from room to room with you, C4 is good for that.  Although I'd think the real need for a heavyweight solution for this is diminished with the rise of OTT streaming - an Apple TV knows where knows where you are in any stream, and can live in a server closet or on the back of a TV.  C4 integrates well with the right alarm systems, too.

After that - meh.  Camera integration is not great, intercom/doorbell is not great and they are both beaten by things you can buy at the big box store.  For control from your mobile, or a touchscreen, C4 is not a one-app solution, it's at best a two-app solution (C4 and your security camera/NVR app) and for iOS users, it's a 3 app solution because Intercom functionality is in a separate app.  It is also curiously slow to load.  Yes these latter two are being worked on but that has been the case for more than a year. 

The dealer model is what it is.  If you don't want to tinker, it's fine. If you do like to tinker, set up new automations, integrate new stuff, it may not be fine.  As others have noted, new drivers, bindings have to be set up by a dealer.  You do get some control with Composer HE, but it's an ancient looking (think Windows 2000) UI that is laborious to use and not very intuitive.  Things you might expect to be able to do, you can't do.  No concept of geofencing in C4, for example.

As it is a closed system, there are limits on the number of internet-connected things it integrates with, which may frustrate you if you hope to include the growing universe of IoT items into your home automation system.  Very few supported Zwave items, no non-proprietary zigbee, etc.  Still can't, for example, get readings from a PurpleAir AQI sensor into the system and automate off that.  There is a community of driver developers working on integrations, so some of your purchasing decisions will need to take into account what's supported.

Cue the "why do you even post here" replies in 3, 2, 1.....

It depends what you want C4 to do, how much you are willing to spend, and how active you want to be in terms of making changes with the system.

If you are willing to spend >$10,000, and in many instances WAY more than that, and are looking for a turnkey solution where the dealer does everything then C4 is perfect. You should also be prepared to spend another $10k+ every decade or so to upgrade hardware like controllers, touchscreens (if you get those), remotes, etc.  And you will probably also be spending at least a few hundred dollars per year for stuff like changes to TVs, cable boxes, streaming boxes, etc.

If you want to do some stuff yourself and want more control over changing the system then C4 may not be for you.

But Control4 does a very good job at being a whole home solution.  It is particularly strong if you want to do centralized video and audio distribution.  But to do that you need lots of wiring done in your house, like lots of LAN drops and speaker wiring. Centralized video distribution is less attractive than it was 5-10 years ago as it doesn't provide as many benefits if you are primarily using streaming services like Netflix.

If you want to tie together lighting, AV control, AV distribution, fireplaces, HVAC, blinds, doors, security system, etc than C4 is one of the best solutions out there.

I have had a C4 system for about 15 years and for the most part I like it, but I wish it were more DIY.  Initially I used the system for lighting, blinds, fireplace but not for AV.  Since then I added AV control for more 9 TVs and I have a whole home audio solution with speakers in most rooms that are controlled by AV.  But I don't have centralized video, nor do I have touch screens.  I use C4 remotes like SR-250s,SR-260s, keypads and the iOS app as input devices for C4..  If I had to do it all over would I?  Probably.

1 hour ago, wnpublic said:

It's fine.  The lighting hardware and control is top notch, intuitive, and stable.  If you are the sort of person that wants distributed/matrixed video and audio, so that a video or audio feed can move from room to room with you, C4 is good for that.  Although I'd think the real need for a heavyweight solution for this is diminished with the rise of OTT streaming - an Apple TV knows where knows where you are in any stream, and can live in a server closet or on the back of a TV.  C4 integrates well with the right alarm systems, too.

After that - meh.  Camera integration is not great, intercom/doorbell is not great and they are both beaten by things you can buy at the big box store.  For control from your mobile, or a touchscreen, C4 is not a one-app solution, it's at best a two-app solution (C4 and your security camera/NVR app) and for iOS users, it's a 3 app solution because Intercom functionality is in a separate app.  It is also curiously slow to load.  Yes these latter two are being worked on but that has been the case for more than a year. 

The dealer model is what it is.  If you don't want to tinker, it's fine. If you do like to tinker, set up new automations, integrate new stuff, it may not be fine.  As others have noted, new drivers, bindings have to be set up by a dealer.  You do get some control with Composer HE, but it's an ancient looking (think Windows 2000) UI that is laborious to use and not very intuitive.  Things you might expect to be able to do, you can't do.  No concept of geofencing in C4, for example.

As it is a closed system, there are limits on the number of internet-connected things it integrates with, which may frustrate you if you hope to include the growing universe of IoT items into your home automation system.  Very few supported Zwave items, no non-proprietary zigbee, etc.  Still can't, for example, get readings from a PurpleAir AQI sensor into the system and automate off that.  There is a community of driver developers working on integrations, so some of your purchasing decisions will need to take into account what's supported.

it was a fair response with both pros and cons so no need to cue "why do you post here" - the OP is looking for critical feedback which you gave

I've had the system for 7+ years now.  Like anything else it has its strengths and weaknesses.  I never really looked at the competition too - if I were to do it again I'd really interview the dealer/integrator and probably compare it to Savant.

If you aren't chasing the latest hardware and the latest firmware/OS update every day and you want a rock solid system to cover lighting, AV, HVAC, Security and everything else and you seek automation vs control, C4 is a great option.  If you like to tinker and want to buy every piece of hardware you see at a big box store and integrate it that day for control, C4 may not be for you.

I've had a Control4 system for about 2 1/2 years now.  Before that I was mainly a DIY guy with Harmony, Alexa, Google, etc.  It was a retro-fit in my home, installed as part of my employment with a Control4 Dealer. 

We now use it to control Lights, HVAC, Door Locks, Garage Doors, Security Panel, AV Gear (including a fairly complex Home Theater, with a motorized curtain on the screen), a Moen Flo Water shutoff Valve, a few Security Cameras (with NVR), along with a DS2 Mini Door Station and most recently a Chime Video Doorbell.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the stability, reliability, and especially the integration of all these systems.  For the most part, it just works.  I do like the multiple ways of accessing the system: a 10" T3, Android Phone Apps, SR-260 Universal Remote, and voice integration with both Google Assistant and Alexa.  (Alexa is perhaps 80-90% reliable, so does occasionally glitch, but I don't know that I can fault Control4 for that.)

The main area where I have been disappointed is with the DS2 Mini, Chime Doorbell, and (Luma) NVR.  Perhaps it has to do with having Android Phones, but the Intercom function is just not quick and reliable enough to be depended on.  And the quality of audio communication (mainly the DS2 Mini) is just not what it should be for the money spent.

I like to have the feeds from our Luma external cameras on my 2nd computer monitor, and IE until very recently was the only option.  And out of nowhere, even though the NVR worked, the Luma App on our phones worked, I couldn't get the camera feeds visible in IE. I had to do a partial reset of the NVR to get things going again.  Also, the NVR will spontaneously reboot every now and then.  Edge can now be used, with some tweaking of settings, but I still can't get the Luma cameras loaded when using Chrome.

All things considered, and given what I've learned over the last few years, I'd definitely still go with Control4.  But I might consider some other options regarding Video Doorbells and Intercom function, and likely a different brand of NVR and/or Cameras.

6 hours ago, wnpublic said:

I think the intercom point here is worth emphasizing here. The DS2 is worthless—avoid. The chime hardware is actually pretty nice. But the intercom app for C4 is garbage. It doesn’t work half the time, and constant requires “reconnections”. And there is some delay, which is annoying, but not a deal breaker. I’ve never had a ring, so I can’t compare. But I suspect it works a lot better.

As for video surveillance, I have pretty good integration, and it works well. I have zero complaints. But I use blue iris. Most of the other integrations don’t work as well. 

What I like:

• The physical light switches that can be engraved. They are more tactile than the completely flat Lutron switches. I have lots of 4 gang switches that could use engraving. But then again, not sure four C4 dimmers would fit w/o overheating. (I defer to others for this.)
  • The dealers here on the forum are responsive and talented.
  • SR-260 Wand Remote -- although it looks outdated, it works and is a lot better than a NEEO in my opinion. I own both and the NEEO just sits there looking pretty.
  • Works with a lot of stuff, even competing products like Lutron.
  • So far Control4 OS updates have been "free" -- but you have to pay a dealer to do the upgrade.
  • You don't have to go all-in. (See below about cost) I have an EA-3 controller, SR-260 remote, NEEO remote and that's all. The rest are more economical or better performing products that integrate into C4.

What I don't like:

• Good local dealers can be hard to find and not responsive.
  • All-in costs for a whole-home system can be very expensive.
  • "Approved" WiFi and networking hardware can be expensive but necessary to make it work well.
  • No voice control or voice passthrough on the C4 remotes. Therefore I pick up the Dish remote to tune to obscure channels or the AppleTV remote to make Siri requests.
  • No integrated geo-fencing that I'm aware of. 
  • NEEO isn't zigbee, so WiFi dependent.
  • Airplay solution is laggy. Audio hardware is overpriced for what it is.

34 minutes ago, ntlord said:

I think the intercom point here is worth emphasizing here. The DS2 is worthless—avoid. The chime hardware is actually pretty nice. But the intercom app for C4 is garbage. It doesn’t work half the time, and constant requires “reconnections”. And there is some delay, which is annoying, but not a deal breaker. I’ve never had a ring, so I can’t compare. But I suspect it works a lot better.

As for video surveillance, I have pretty good integration, and it works well. I have zero complaints. But I use blue iris. Most of the other integrations don’t work as well. 

from what I am told by someone more knowledgeable than me - the underlying SIP Server/Implementation used by C4 is fairly weak and that is a major source of the issues with anything with the IA app, speed, etc.  I am using a 3rd party / 2n Doorstation and I have the same issues as those with a Chime, etc.

3 hours ago, ntlord said:

I have a DS2 Mini and thoroughly enjoy it. I’ve also had Ring in the past and don’t feel like it was any better. I do have to reboot it every few months, so I just set a process to kill power to that PoE port for 30 seconds at 2:30am on the first day of every month. Problem solved. 

I also will add that I’ve he Control4 since 2006. In that time period I’ve had installations in 3 different primary homes (first and last being new builds, second being a retrofit) and 2 vacation properties (one of which I still own). I agree with most of the other comments here that are more details than my first post. I, like someone else, have never really evaluated the competition. 

What I like: If you can dream it you can probably do it. I would highly recommend 

Besides rock solid lighting, shades, AV, Alarm, and door lock integration you can really do so much more if you have the mind for it. I have my blinds in kitchen and den open at sunrise but only if we're already awake. Not only that but it checks cloud cover and if it's sunny the east windows open in increments so the sun isn't in your eyes at the breakfast table or cough by the TV. If it's cloudy they open all the way. If it's snowing my heated mats turn on and turn off after 24 hours from the last time there was precipitation with temp below 34 deg. I have certain RBG LED strips set to automatically turn on to orange this month for Halloween, Yellow next month for Thanksgiving, Green Xmas etc. I have a fountain and if wind above 20 mph it turns off, when wind is below 20 turns back on. When the cleaners arrive it takes a snapshot of the house, I get a push notification, door unlocks, alarm turns off, all lights go on and shades open and it plays their county music station they like. When they leave it recalls the snapshot and the lights/shades go back to pre cleaner state. There are sooo many things you can do. 

Dislikes: Probably bc I'm a heavy tinkerer type person sometimes I get weird actions out of the automation that don't make sense. Most recently after update my keypads leave the LED for 'shades open' on all the time. What I mean is normally if the shades are closed that LED is off and if they are open at all it turns on blue. Now it's always lit. Not sure why. It's dealer based so adding stuff is based on their availability. 

Tips: Having a good dealer who is responsive and you can trust is paramount to a good experience in my opinion. 

that's awesome...I thought you were going to say you take a snapshot and then another one after the cleaners are done and do an automated comparison and scoring on how well they cleaned the place based on said snapshots.  I don't spend the time to automate anywhere near that amount of stuff for myself, let alone my cleaners! (shoemaker's children go barefoot...or whatever they say)

I have my C4 system since 2016, I’d chosen it after scanning the market at that time and looking only at the top 5 players in US.

- Solid Lighting solution, for 220 VAC markets C4 was the best for centralized Panelized modules and also for retrofits with their Zigbee pucks, it just works

- UI was great, matched my taste from OS2 and now with OS3, this unified experience can be shared across all devices, screens, remotes, IOS or Android Apps

- Intercom was great for me DS1 and now DS2 Mini worked for me. They need tweaking and patience after that I had no issues for years

- Hardware is top notch and works for years

- Ability to integrate 1000’s of third party equipment and peripherals like Audio, Video, Security, Shades, Cams, Sensors, etc.

- Pretty powerful and logical programing interface, ComposerHome is a must if u need to do some conditional programing and u will use it for sure

Dislikes:

- C4 is not Security Camera friendly, displays lower resolution and is full of issues in this area

- Not strong at all in user-based restrictions, if u need to restrict use of specific features or areas you will struggle

One last thing, u need a pretty good Cabling Infrastrucutre as well as a solid WiFi network to have a hassle free C4 experience, I hope u enjoy it like I do 😃

I would add to not be put off by the dealer only model. I started out wanting to do everything myself but once set up correctly by a dealer, you will be quite surprised how little you need one. Especially if you buy composer HE which allows you to program and do most tasks other than adding new hardware or changing connections. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.