C4 Forums | Control4

Brilliant Smart Switch Integration

20 hours ago, C4 User said:

I’ve looked at Orro but these come in 1, 2, 3 and 4 gang. And larger display. Look nice if they perform well and can integrate with C4

But Brilliant doesn’t integrate with C4, so it’s not even an option. I don’t think they have an open API, so no driver is likely in the future.  

Orro is the closest to Brilliant if you want something like this. Or just use Brilliant without C4 integration. 

5 hours ago, WhyPhy said:

But Brilliant doesn’t integrate with C4, so it’s not even an option. I don’t think they have an open API, so no driver is likely in the future.  

Orro is the closest to Brilliant if you want something like this. Or just use Brilliant without C4 integration. 

Those Orro switches look cool.  Does anybody know if the Orro switch can be paired to a room in Alexa?  This has always been a dealbreaker problem for me in using non-Amazon devices for Alexa voice control -- e.g., our Ecobee thermostats.  An Echo device can be assigned to a particular room in the Alexa app, but I can't do that with my Ecobees.  So, for example, with the Echos, we can say "play music," and if the Office Echo hears that, it understands that music needs to be played on the office speakers -- same for adjusting lights, thermostat, etc.  

If they have finally sorted this out, I'd love to switch from echo devices to Orro switches.

• 1 year later...

Loved the Orro design factor.  Even if they go away hopefully someone (cough cough Snap) buys the IP or hardware and fixes it up - kind of like how Snap got the NEEO and smacked their label on it then used that R&D to create the Halo line, etc.  

Issue is it is an expensive switch, and if someone is doing a custom install job they are likely getting Lutron, C4, Savant branded switches, and the DIY person is usually not looking for $150-$300/pop switches/dimmers.  Just seems like a tough price point given the market.

This is unfortunate sad news but rather imminent! These companies while having a great product designs can’t sustain lifetime business based on such product/pricing, u can’t live being niche player, thought these companies launches on a hope some one would acquire them!

So did they had a cloud based system or Chowmain driver can make them work cloudless?

3 minutes ago, ERDrPC said:

That statement does not tell me to buy their product. They've committed to no software updates and no new manufacturing and say they have 6 months of life at a minimum. That's not a place. I would want to be spending $300 a switch

31 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

Control4 Essential dimmers and switches are $101.95 MSRP...

Sadly I've been living with the model from 15 years ago and cursing any time a builb humms......   Not that i know its only $100, time to consider some updates...

49 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

Sadly I've been living with the model from 15 years ago and cursing any time a builb humms......   Not that i know its only $100, time to consider some updates...

I have another experience, had been using C4 Panelized Switches/Dimmers in addition to C4 Puck Switches/Dimmers since 2016, not a single complaints for 7 yrs, all I do is to use a good quality Dimmable bulbs, Osram/Philips/IKEA only, so far so good!

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

yet everyone complains about the pricing of C4.....rather ironic right?  You gotta price products to pay for innovation and sustainable operations.  VC won't carry you forever...

How many we lost in the past 4 yrs, Insteon, Wink, Iris, etc. The likes of Sony, Dlink, WeMo that keep closing down complete lines of business, u end up with (IOS) Internet-of-Shit devices that good for nothing!

4 minutes ago, Amr said:

How many we lost in the past 4 yrs, Insteon, Wink, Iris, etc. The likes of Sony, Dlink, WeMo that keep closing down complete lines of business, u end up with (IOS) Internet-of-Shit devices that good for nothing!

Wemo hasn't shuttered. They just have paused on matter 

11 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

Just know that the essential line is ONLY FW phase dimming. That's normally OK for LED, but there is no adaptive option so that does cause some limitations (note, still MUCH better than the older style)

As with everything you get what you pay for. One thing I always point out that the essential line works fine for a lower price up front - BUT know that they consume several times the power to operate (3w for the essential line, vs less than 0.5w for the regular line). Also, their minimum required wattage is much higher. Where the regular dimmers should NEVER be a problem at 1w minimum, the essential line is at 4.5w. Not a lot, but that single bulb potlight in the closet just might be a 3w LED....

Nothing AGAINST the essential line, but know what you're getting.

10 hours ago, Amr said:

I have another experience, had been using C4 Panelized Switches/Dimmers in addition to C4 Puck Switches/Dimmers since 2016, not a single complaints for 7 yrs, all I do is to use a good quality Dimmable bulbs, Osram/Philips/IKEA only, so far so good!

He's talking about the first generation/style dimmers (which came out before LED bulbs etc were really even a thing)

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

He's talking about the first generation/style dimmers (which came out before LED bulbs etc were really even a thing)

15 yrs for Dimmer is also too much, I mean it paid its dues!

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Just know that the essential line is ONLY FW phase dimming. That's normally OK for LED, but there is no adaptive option so that does cause some limitations (note, still MUCH better than the older style)

As with everything you get what you pay for. One thing I always point out that the essential line works fine for a lower price up front - BUT know that they consume several times the power to operate (3w for the essential line, vs less than 0.5w for the regular line). Also, their minimum required wattage is much higher. Where the regular dimmers should NEVER be a problem at 1w minimum, the essential line is at 4.5w. Not a lot, but that single bulb potlight in the closet just might be a 3w LED....

Nothing AGAINST the essential line, but know what you're getting.

Great info to know. And as LED lighting keeps getting more advanced it might be worth getting the regular line.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.